Brewer Fanatic

2011-10-10 Cardinals (Jackson) at Brewers (Marcum) - [Brewers lose, 12-3; NLCS tied 1-1]

pretendastronaut
  • Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It certainly wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, and it's not over now. They have a long way to climb back, but it's certainly possible with this offense.

Even if they can't claw back today, the series is 1-1 going to STL for 3 games. Gallardo, Wolf, Greinke vs. Carp, Lohse, Garcia. I think the Brewers have just as good a chance to win 2 of those as STL does, although I am often overly optimistic.

Would have liked to see a pinch hitter for Marcum in the 2nd with 2 guys on (and maybe 3 if Lucroy's approach would have changed with a pinch hitter on deck). Then again, McGehee is a worse hitter than Marcum at this point.
That would have been ludicrous to PH for Marcum in the 2nd.
Tell me why. What's the downside, besides "it's outside the box and Roenicke never thinks outside the box". If Lucroy knew a pinch hitter was on deck, he wouldn't have been flailing away 3-0 or 3-1 and may have worked a walk. If a competent pinch hitter or Hart delivers, it's a 2-2 game and Narveson is in the game, and it's a 50-50 game again. Again, tell me the downside.

Would have liked to see a pinch hitter for Marcum in the 2nd with 2 guys on (and maybe 3 if Lucroy's approach would have changed with a pinch hitter on deck). Then again, McGehee is a worse hitter than Marcum at this point.
That would have been ludicrous to PH for Marcum in the 2nd.
Tell me why. What's the downside, besides "it's outside the box and Roenicke never thinks outside the box". If Lucroy knew a pinch hitter was on deck, he wouldn't have been flailing away 3-0 or 3-1 and may have worked a walk. If a competent pinch hitter or Hart delivers, it's a 2-2 game and Narveson is in the game, and it's a 50-50 game again. Again, tell me the downside.
Marcum had an easy 2nd inning and looked calmed down.

Kinda sick to my stomach. Marcum really struggling in post season, defense not making big plays, St.L making the most of it.

Again, I don't think he's really struggling. He's basically only been beat tonight by arguably the best player in baseball. That inning had a ball pop out of someone's glove, a ball hit where the defender normally would be if not for the hit and run, and another ball that would probably have been caught had Gomez been out there. But because 4 runs have scored, the average fan (not calling you that) will say Marcum sucks.

Shaun Marcum's last 6 starts -- 33 IP, 46 H, 30 ER. That's an 8.18 ERA. I'm pretty sure that could be called "struggling".

Kinda sick to my stomach. Marcum really struggling in post season, defense not making big plays, St.L making the most of it.

Again, I don't think he's really struggling. He's basically only been beat tonight by arguably the best player in baseball. That inning had a ball pop out of someone's glove, a ball hit where the defender normally would be if not for the hit and run, and another ball that would probably have been caught had Gomez been out there. But because 4 runs have scored, the average fan (not calling you that) will say Marcum sucks.

Shaun Marcum's last 6 starts -- 33 IP, 46 H, 30 ER. That's an 8.18 ERA. I'm pretty sure that could be called "struggling".

I'm pretty sure he said post-season. And I've said earlier, I don't think he was as bad as the numbers show in AZ.

edit: And before those starts he gave up 4 runs in 34 innings. I can do it too. As many here have said, there is really no such thing as hot or cold. If a guy is a better pitcher than your other options, you usually use him.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived