Brewer Fanatic

Anyone else have no sympathy for the "Prince's last games as a Brewer" thing?

The Truth
You can tell that Prince has absolutely loved his time in Milwaukee with his brothers in crime. That's all you can really ask of a player imo. I don't think I could leave like $40M on the table. That's unreal money.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In a selfish way, I hope the team he goes to next year finishes with a worse record than MIL and misses the playoffs while the Brewers make it. I get the feeling Prince will regret leaving MIL when it's all said and done...it would be very, very hard to even match the type of fun he's had with this group of players, his friends.

I have no sympathy for Prince. If he's going to leave the Brewers and knows he's already gone, what's there to cry about? It's his CHOICE. I can't be upset, mad, or sad about it.
Where is this coming? Because he was emotional after the game yesterday? I was there so I didn't actually see any of it on camera but I would assume most of that emotion is from winning a huge series and advancing, not because he knows his time is coming to an end. Like I've said, we're still playing for a championship and people are already talking about booing Prince next year. I don't get it.

And for the record, I hope Prince doesn't resign because I don't think he would be worth the money (over the long-haul) it would take.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

And for the record, I hope Prince doesn't resign because I don't think he would be worth the money (over the long-haul) it would take.

Seeing how some of the big contracts for teams just eliminated from the playoffs are starting to look, I can't imagine how disastrous some stupid $120+ million contract for the Brewers would be. The market might actually reflect this in the off-season, too.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

We're still playing for a championship and people are already talking about booing Prince next year. I don't get it.
This, x1000.

The guy was an enormous part of the resurgence of one of the laughingstocks of the league to a 96-win team heading to the NLCS. God forbid he be a bit emotional about that. Heck, I was almost in tears the other night, only saved by T-Plush streaming profanities into the microphone.

He never asked for sympathy, and in fact is resisting any attempt to seek out sympathy. The entire point of the thread is moot. You can't deny sympathy to an idea when the subject of that idea doesn't care.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Some people are comical...... way too much negativity on this board.......... not gonna get wrapped up in it because the Brewers just won their first playoff series since I was in diapers!

Prince is doing what EVERY SINGLE RED BLOODED AMERICAN MALE DOES - Getting paid the most money he can for what he does!!! EVERY ONE of us does this and the reality is, while there are a lot that spout off about how they would take less to stay in Milwaukee, most of us wouldn't. (and most of us have WI ties - Prince really doesn't)

If the coming days are Prince's last as a Brewer.............. I'm just glad I got to watch!

I don't, I deliberately work for substantially less money (on the order of 20%) in the exact same field at a place I am much happier at. I can understand why Fielder might choose to leave. I'm not angry because he has more than handled himself well, but I strongly reject the notion that we need to focus strictly on dollars as happiness. In fact given how much fun he has had I kind of feel sorry for Prince because I suspect he'll come to regret the decision to take every last cent. Cecil is still screwing up his life.

Maybe I missed something in all of these posts but wasn't Prince emotional because of what had just happened? Winning game 5 of the NLDS, the way that they did, with a bunch of guys he truly loves being around. I was emotional and I don't play on that team. It's about being on a team and being with a bunch of guys and loving every minute of it. Has anyone played on a team before and felt this? I have as a coach and player and nothing can replace those memories and feelings.

Yes in most cases that should mean much more than money. Everyone has their different feelings about what they want in their life. I love Prince and have a hard time wondering how much $50+ million extra really means. I will miss him when he goes BUT I do not want the teams financial situation to suffer because someone feels we need to over pay him. Honestly I'm looking forward to the makeup of next year's team.

For now, LETS GO BEAT THE CARDINALS!!

This board should be nothing but rainbows and gumdrops all the time. Never anything negative said. Each thread should be just a positive statement and 40 pages of "ditto."

Just because people have a negative view of one or many things does not mean they are not enjoying the season. If you don't like any negativity, I don't know what to say other than maybe the internet isn't for you.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't, I deliberately work for substantially less money (on the order of 20%) in the exact same field at a place I am much happier at. I can understand why Fielder might choose to leave. I'm not angry because he has more than handled himself well, but I strongly reject the notion that we need to focus strictly on dollars as happiness. In fact given how much fun he has had I kind of feel sorry for Prince because I suspect he'll come to regret the decision to take every last cent. Cecil is still screwing up his life.

So was Molitor's dad screwing with him when he left for more $? What about every other FA in baseball history that took more $?

The guy wants to get paid fair market value - same as his peers..............

KegStand81 wrote:
Just saying that if I win $100 mil in the lottery, I'm thinking less about sending my great-grandson to college in the year 2075 and more about buying my own island.
Fielder isn't playing the lottery. He is keenly aware that he is going to win lottery type money, an awareness that no lottery winner has ever had.

I guess it all comes down to character. Sprewell made it easy early in his career to see that he had highly questionable character. I just don't see Prince the same way. He has first person, real life experience of what happens when you are careless with large amounts of money. I can guess that Prince doesn't want to see his kids get served papers for his father at a minor league game should they ever make it, like he was for his father. This is a guy who brought his kids and their Monsters Inc toy out for the postgame interview.

All that said I hope the Brewers can put something together that is palatable for Fielder, but the writing is on the wall.

I think its ridiculous to think that Prince if after the money in looking for a contract. The money will be great no matter what - he's looking for the years.

I'm pretty sure Prince will sign the longest contract offered to him. The problem with the Brewers offer isn't the $100 million - it's that it's only 5 years. Prince is looking for 8-10 years, if someone will give it to him.

He knows that in 5 years, he might not get offered anything more than single-year contracts. With his body type, he needs to secure as long a contract as he can to ensure he's not playing for his life later. He's trying to set himself up for the rest of his career. Sure, longer contracts will come with more money, but he knows he's going to get paid.

This board should be nothing but rainbows and gumdrops all the time. Never anything negative said. Each thread should be just a positive statement and 40 pages of "ditto."

Just because people have a negative view of one or many things does not mean they are not enjoying the season. If you don't like any negativity, I don't know what to say other than maybe the internet isn't for you.

I think it's telling that you feel contrasting views must involve negativity.

As far as not liking negativity, I like that people are advocating against it. Sure, we could just all go way, or we could try to advocate for change. Again, it's interesting that you would not like to see people challenge the negativity.

I'll repeat part of what I said earlier. I think the OP's question is a straw man question. I don't think there's one person out there who feels any sympathy for Prince Fielder. So the thread has become a re-tread of whether Prince should take less to stay in Milwaukee.

Did it ever occur to anyone that money may not be the only reason he may want to move on? He lives in FL, he may want to play for Tampa or Miami. Various reports on whether wise wife loves/ doesn't like Milwaukee. He may want a new challenge. I'm sure length of contract/ total dollars involved are big part of it. But even if the money is 100% of it, what business is it of ours? So no, I don't have any sympathy, nor do I hold any ill-will when he leaves. He played for the Brewers organization his entire career, and I enjoyed watching him since Beloit.

Finally, keep in mind the Brewers may not want him back- even for the $100 Million number that's been thrown around here. Now, they won't come out and say that of course, but for all we know the Brewers have already told Boras they can't/won't get anywhere close to offering Prince the going rate.

As an American, you and Fielder get to do what you want. You can't make the "wrong" choice.

Last night during the game, one of the announcers stated something along the lines that whichever of these teams wins this series and then possibly the World Series will have a greater chance of retaining their prized sluggers (Prince and Albert). I wasn't sure if their line of thinking was that the team that advances would also gain a little more revenue or if the players would be more apt to stay on a championship team or both.

Regardless as to whether or not you think it would be a good idea to spend the money required to keep Fielder, I'm curious what people think of the above comment. Do you think going to the World Series (and possibly winning the WS) increases our chances of keeping him?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Definitely. Additional revenue + a (hypothetical) World Series ring = a higher likelihood that Mark will make a more competitive offer for Prince.

Since it's becoming more and more apparent with the HOU situation that MLB wants two 15 team leagues I'd volunteer to move back if I were Mark A as then you can offer Prince a longer deal and move him into DH at some point.

Definitely. Additional revenue + a (hypothetical) World Series ring = a higher likelihood that Mark will make a more competitive offer for Prince.

Since it's becoming more and more apparent with the HOU situation that MLB wants two 15 team leagues I'd volunteer to move back if I were Mark A as then you can offer Prince a longer deal and move him into DH at some point.

I'd love to go back to the American League since I grew up with it, but it will never happen because Selig thinks that Milwaukee is an 'N.L. town', whatever that means.

Do you think going to the World Series (and possibly winning the WS) increases our chances of keeping him?
Probably. As a team gets closer to the top, it'll likely become harder for a player to decide to leave it.

I don't think the chances increase dramatically, but I do think they increase a bit.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I disagree. Prince leraving is a foregone conclusion. Extra revenue from playoffs may help next year, but the problem all along with signing Prince to a long term megadeal is the oulying years at the end of the contract. The Brewers simply can't afford too many big, long-term contracts. And if this post-season has taught us anything, it's that this money needs to be spent on starting pitching.

Besides all that, I could flip that questiona round. If the Brewers DO win the WS, would Prince be MORE likely to leave? He could look at it as accomplishing everything he wanted to do in Milwaukee, he's got a ring..now he can pursue new goals and make more money doing it.

Archived