Brewer Fanatic

Anyone else have no sympathy for the "Prince's last games as a Brewer" thing?

The Truth

All this melancholy from the media and Prince through the playoffs, , Prince with tears in his eyes, his teammates saying "yeah we realize this could be Prince's last games with us", etc --- I've just got zero sympathy for any of it. Prince has a 5 year $100 million offer on the table from the Brewers, and I wouldn't doubt they might even up the offer...if he loves it in Milwaukee so much, then just sign the contract!

As Braun said once upon a time "there's not much you can't buy with $47 million"....

I'm a working stiff, he gets no sympathy from me. He loves Milwaukee, his kids love Milwaukee, then sign the contract. Or just shut up and play baseball

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All this melancholy from the media and Prince through the playoffs, , Prince with tears in his eyes, his teammates saying "yeah we realize this could be Prince's last games with us", etc --- I've just got zero sympathy for any of it. Prince has a 5 year $100 million offer on the table from the Brewers, and I wouldn't doubt they might even up the offer...if he loves it in Milwaukee so much, then just sign the contract!

As Braun said once upon a time "there's not much you can't buy with $47 million"....

I'm a working stiff, he gets no sympathy from me. He loves Milwaukee, his kids love Milwaukee, then sign the contract. Or just shut up and play baseball

Who should shut up? Prince? Has he actually said anything? Given his experience with his Dad (making and then blowing a fortune and leaving the entire family in horrible financial circumstances) it makes sense to me that he should get what he can when he can. Professional athletes have a short shelf life, they need to make the most of it.

Oh come on, seriously? $100 million isn't enough so he's got to get $140 million somewhere else? In this economy?

You are totally right, Prince should leave upwards of FORTY MILLION DOLLARS on the table because the economy is bad. That is crazy talk. Hell, if forty million isn't that big of a deal, why shouldn't the Brewers give it to him? I don't see anything wrong with saying, like CC did, "I will always have great memories here, but the extra hundred million dollars the Rangers have offered me will set my family up for the next 10 generations."

Prince's emotion had nothing to do with the "last game" thing. It had everything to do with seeing a season slip away and then having it drawn back from the brink. It was about as pure emotion as there can be in sport. At the end of the game, he was just spent. Don't see any reason to be cynical about a guy living in a moment that may never come his way again, no matter what he does after this season. And even if he has multiple postseason runs after this one, it won't be the same as this, with this group of guys, under these circumstances. It might be better, it might be worse, but it won't be the same.

$100 million would set anyone's family up for 10 generations, as well. The point is, if you love it here so much, then sign here. Otherwise just shut up, play baseball and be just another money-bags athlete, but don't play up the sympathy card as you get all misty eyed about this being possibly your last game in Milwaukee

I'm saying it is all very sickly distorted and distateful and makes me like Prince a helluva lot less, unless he does end up signing here.

You do realize that Braun left a $100 million on the table or so, right? And that he's set up for life? And Berkman likely left money on the table by re-upping with St Louis for next year? Its not like it doesn't happen

Prince had better step it up bigtime in the NLCS

I'll be one of the ones booing him every time he steps on the field in Miller Park if he signs with the Cubs

Prince's emotion had nothing to do with the "last game" thing. It had everything to do with seeing a season slip away and then having it drawn back from the brink. It was about as pure emotion as there can be in sport.
I respect your opinion, you are one of the many great posters here, but I just don't see it simply as that. I'll think about your point of view here though...

I guess I don't buy the premise of the question. Who has any sympathy for Prince, and how has he demonstrated he wants any? He has been in the Brewers organization his entire career, so why can't he be emotional that it may be coming to an end? I worked somewhere for 10 years and left for a better position. I had mixed feelings because I knew I would miss some of the people I worked with for many years.

How is it any different with Prince? Whether you're getting $5,000 more or $40 million more, he has a right to move on if that $40 million is important enough to him. He also has a right to have feelings about leaving the Brewers. Those two things don't have to be mutually exclusive. As a fan, I have no sympathy for him I don't think anyone does. But that doesn't mean I won't feel bad when I see the press conference with him signing a contract with another team's hat on.

Finally, I don't think too many of us would pass up the $40 million given the opportunity.

(1) The point is, if you love it here so much, then sign here. Otherwise just shut up, play baseball and be just another money-bags athlete, but don't play up the sympathy card as you get all misty eyed about this being possibly your last game in Milwaukee.

(2) Prince had better step it up bigtime in the NLCS

(3) You do realize that Braun left a $100 million on the table or so, right?

(4) I'll be one of the ones booing him every time he steps on the field in Miller Park if he signs with the Cubs

(1) Again, what has Prince actually said? You are totally projecting here. If money isn't that big of a deal, why not blame Attansio for paying what the market says Prince is worth?

(2) Prince had an great NLDS and a series of great seasons. He doesn't have anything else to prove.

(3) Braun signed an extension, he was not on the verge of free agency and does not have the same body-type concerns that Fielder has. Braun chose certainty over the risk that Prince took (that he would stay healthy, that he would earn his money). Look at Ryan Howard. Probably tore his Achilles. If not for the massive extension he had signed two years ago he would make jack @!*! next year. Berkman is one year removed from looking completely cooked. He might have left money on the table, but nowhere near the amount you are talking about and he is at the end of his career and this is Prince's first bite at free agency.

(4) speaks for itself.

What exactly has Prince done that requires him to shut up and play baseball? I can recall one comment in September that he stated it was likely his last season here to TBS.

Since then he hasn't said a thing. Feels like you're confusing the media discussing this with Prince asking for sympathy, which he's done none of.

As for the difference between 100 and 140-180 (whatever) he'd get elsewhere, that is a HUGE amount of money. I think he'd be insane to leave that amount on the table. It's not exactly the same situation as Braun either. Braun was a few years away from his contract expiring, Prince's is expired. Prince doesn't have to concern himself with potential injuries, or bad seasons, etc that could impact his potential contract.

Taking your Brewer fan emotion out of it, you can't fault him at all for maximizing his earning potential. We all do that. I explore new job opportunities all the time. If someone offered me 40-80% more than what I'm making, you can be sure I'd pursue that - and I think most every single rational person would explore that.

Finally, booing a Cub is fine, but booing Prince because he maximized he earnings seems silly to me. This isn't turning down $100M from Milwaukee for $105M from Chicago. 40-80M is insanely huge.

Before the game, Prince told Sam Ryan that questions about the possibility/probability of him moving elsewhere were absolutely off limits. He's not the one bringing this up.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Finally, booing a Cub is fine, but booing Prince because he maximized he earnings seems silly to me. This isn't turning down $100M from Milwaukee for $105M from Chicago. 40-80M is insanely huge.

I bet there will be plenty of Brewers fans booing Prince if he signs with the Cubs

Given his experience with his Dad (making and then blowing a fortune and leaving the entire family in horrible financial circumstances) it makes sense to me that he should get what he can when he can.

I get your point but to say the family was left in horrible financial circumstances is an extreme statement. Especially given the type of circumstances many are living in today through no fault of their own. His dad took some of his 6 figure signing bonus he received as an 18 year old to pay off some of his debt. Prince never really had to struggle to make ends meet at any point in his life. His family never lived in a car or had to worry about where their next meal was coming from. He simply didn't have as much as he thought he had at the time. He also knew he was going to get a whole lot more in the near future.

I don't blame him for wanting all he can get but it doesn't mean I have to feel badly for him because he has to leave the comfort of the only organization he played for behind to get it.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Given his experience with his Dad (making and then blowing a fortune and leaving the entire family in horrible financial circumstances) it makes sense to me that he should get what he can when he can.

I get your point but to say the family was left in horrible financial circumstances is an extreme statement. Especially given the type of circumstances many are living in today through no fault of their own. His dad took some of his 6 figure signing bonus he received as an 18 year old to pay off some of his debt. Prince never really had to struggle to make ends meet at any point in his life. His family never lived in a car or had to worry about where their next meal was coming from. He simply didn't have as much as he thought he had at the time. He also knew he was going to get a whole lot more in the near future.

I don't blame him for wanting all he can get but it doesn't mean I have to feel badly for him because he has to leave the comfort of the only organization he played for behind to get it.

I'm pretty sure that, by the time Prince got to the majors and realized his father had stolen his signing bonus, the family / Prince's grandparents had civil judgments renedered against them and were deep in the hole. He wasn't starving in the slums, but it must have had a hell of an impact on him. Plus I don't think Prince has ever asked or expected anyone to feel bad for him. The gist of the OP seems to be that if Prince doesn't massively undersell himself, he is an awful person.

It's also important to note that Braun has business relationships with Mark A. off the field. Braun wants to get involved in a lot of different business ventures, and Prince has no interest in any of that. Mark A. has the connections in the financial community and entertainment industry that can help Braun with various opportunities. That's another big reason why Braun wanted to stay with the Brewers/ Mark A.

The gist of the OP seems to be that if Prince doesn't massively undersell himself, he is an awful person.

Not at all. It is that I have no sympathy for him when he talks about how much he loves Milwaukee and then gets wistful. And I'm genuinely wondering if anyone else feels the same way

I'm very tired of this subject being a big part of the "backstory" being presented to the fans as part of the playoffs, and I wonder if anyone else feels the same way.

Its not like he's being forced out of town. He has an extremely huge offer on the table.

Somebody should ask Robin Yount what he thinks about baseball players who turn down $100 million contracts. That is an insanely huge amount of money

I'm pretty sure that, by the time Prince got to the majors and realized his father had stolen his signing bonus, the family / Prince's grandparents had civil judgments renedered against them and were deep in the hole.

Nope. The judgement against him was for two homes and some bonds that Cecil gave to him and his grandparents to hide from his debtors. It totaled $1,280,000. All Prince had to do was sell the homes and bonds his dad gave him and he was no worse off financially. His signing bonus as an 18 year old was $2.4 million of which his dad took some of but not all.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

You do realize that Braun left a $100 million on the table or so, right?

Braun chose certainty over the risk that Prince took (that he would stay healthy, that he would earn his money).

Exactly, Braun did not "leave money on the table". He transferred all the risk to the Brewers and that did not come free, he had to give up the potential for an even bigger future payday. He took an early offer paying him $48 million, risk-free and then added another $105 million to that. He could have a career ending injury tomorrow and he still collects all that money. He could turn into the 2011 version of Casey McGehee for the next decade and he would still get his money.

Prince chose not to take the sure thing and to, instead, gamble on getting even more. It would make little financial sense for him to not become a free-agent now, when there is almost no risk to doing so.

Since $40 million or so should not matter to those with great wealth, perhaps Mark A. should just agree to transfer $40 million of his personal wealth to Prince? After-all that would only be about 6% of his net worth.

This seems to be a non story here. No one in their right mind would turn down a 40% raise to go to another job; especially when we are talking in the millions of dollars. I would probably take all of 2 seconds to decide to leave my job if someone gave me a 40% raise.

No doubt Prince loves it here; but its not like its impossible that he will love Texas or Baltimore or SF either. I won't fault him one bit for following the money (so long as we don't find out that the Brewers made a comparable offer).

He has not brought up the issue at all; that is all on the media. He seems prefectly content to play out the season and whatever will be will be

This seems to be a non story here. No one in their right mind would turn down a 40% raise to go to another job; especially when we are talking in the millions of dollars. I would probably take all of 2 seconds to decide to leave my job if someone gave me a 40% raise.

No doubt Prince loves it here; but its not like its impossible that he will love Texas or Baltimore or SF either. I won't fault him one bit for following the money (so long as we don't find out that the Brewers made a comparable offer).

He has not brought up the issue at all; that is all on the media. He seems prefectly content to play out the season and whatever will be will be

Exactly what I was going to say.

To OP: I am also confused as to why you would bring this up now. After we just won the NLDS for gods sake.

If you are referring to Prince being emotional last night IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS TIME IN MILWAUKEE RUNNING SHORT. It was an emotional win and he is an emotional dude. That's what happens.

This issue has been beat to death. Why can't we just leave it alone. Prince hasn't asked for sympathy and he hasn't talked about anything so I see no need for him to "shut up" since that is what he is doing already

This issue has been beat to death. Why can't we just leave it alone. Prince hasn't asked for sympathy and he hasn't talked about anything so I see no need for him to "shut up" since that is what he is doing already

OK, well, I was genuinely interested in whether anyone else felt the same way. And it would seem at least initially that no one else does!

It can be left alone, sure...If the mods want to delete the thread I have no problem with that.

but I dont know if many on this boar understand why you feel that way. If it is something that is truly discussable lets discuss, but it really feels like an issue being made out of nothing with any substance behind it.

I am still failing to see what he has said or what sympathy he has asked for.

How is it any different with Prince? Whether you're getting $5,000 more or $40 million more, he has a right to move on if that $40 million is important enough to him. He also has a right to have feelings about leaving the Brewers. Those two things don't have to be mutually exclusive.
This is dead on. He's been in the Brewers organization a long time, has made a lot of good friends on the team, and seems to genuinely like being a Brewer and playing in Milwaukee. But he also knows there is a good chance that he'll HAVE TO leave. My guess is if there is a relatively small difference between what the Brewers offer and another team offers (maybe same years, but only an extra million or two a year), he'll stay, but he and everyone else assumes, and rightly so, that at least one other team is probably going to blow the Brewers out of the water. He would HAVE TO take it. I don't think Prince wants to leave the Brewers, but he knows he likely won't have much of a choice, so it would make sense that he's a bit sad about it (regardless of whether or not his emotions last night had anything to do with that).

As FVBrewerfan said, leaving for a bigger paycheck and being sad about leaving aren't mutually exclusive.

And sympathy is the wrong word. Nobody has to have "sympathy" for Prince, but I think we can all understand what emotions he might have about his potential departure.

Archived