Brewer Fanatic

Apologize to Yuni Thread

RockCoCougars

Bringing up how awful he is when discussing the bullpen, team ERA, outfield defense, outfield depth, the third base situation, who chews bubble gum in the dugout or any number or other unrelated topics was less fine.

Some of those topics are very much related to Yuni. The third base and outfield discussions in particular when we start talking about Hairston who could play SS. I will agree that how bad he is shouldn't come up in a bubblegum discussion.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That play he made in the 9th would have been missed by many SS's. It was a do or die pick. His range is below average, and he makes errors on routine throws from time to time, but his glovework has been solid. As with any of a dozen plays last night, it's why they're still playing.

cubsdie]
hawing wrote:

A bit of an aside: I saw two fans wearing Betancourt shirts on Friday - one in Madison and one two rows in front of me at NLDS game 5.

Probably the same person.
And probably a relative.
The fan in Madison is female and the guy sitting near us last night is male. I suppose they could have been related to each other, but their pasty white skin made it highly unlikely that they're related to Yuni. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Some of those topics are very much related to Yuni. The third base and outfield discussions in particular

It got old when normal conversations about any situation turned into yet another Yuni bashing. It got to the point where I stopped reading any thread because I could already predict the posts. And no, third base and the outfield have nothing to do with Yuni. He doesn't play those positions and was never an option there. The only partial relationship it had was some of the players also could play short. Why bring up how terrible Yuni is when discussing who plays the outfield? It had to do with why someone might not be replacing Yuni but how does talking about possibly playing Counsell more at third relate to Yuni being a bad shortstop? Did we really need to know Yuni sucked when discussion how much Harriston played in center?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The fact of the matter is that Hairston had a good PA, hit a ball really hard that Young made a good play on. Yuni had a crappy PA, blooped a ball into center and we are supposed to apologize to him for being lucky?

Wow you seriously hate Yuni. He had a good clean hit. Sure it wasnt a rocket but it wasnt a weak hit. No one is taking away that great hit away from Hairston. He did get robbed but you dont have to act like Yuni closed his eyes and stuck the bat out and accidentally hit the ball.

He was bad this year but who cares right now. He is our SS and he had some big hits during the series. He will be the whipping boy for many if something goes wrong in the next round but he made some plays that helped us get through round 1.

He was bashed by a group of people on here because WAR/UZR said he was a bad player before he ever donned a Brewer uniform
Were you excited when we got Zach Greinke? Because when we got him in December he hadn't done anything in a Brewer uniform, so there was no reason whatsoever to think he is a good player until he proves it to you on the Brewers.

What, you were excited? Why?... because he won a Cy Young and had a bunch of stats including WAR and FIP that said he is really good.

Why is it OK to think that Greinke will be good because of his past good performance but not OK to think Yuni will be bad because of his past bad performance?

"As for the Yuni bashing - it's a complete joke on this board and based on his play for the Brewers in 2011, mostly undeserved. "

What about his production shows him being anything but terrible? Why do some people put on the blinders when it comes to Yuni? Just to be contrarian?

Pretty much every report on Betancourt from scouts/managers/stats/fans in the last 4 years has said that he's awful at defense. He had a .271 OBP! Why is this being defended? He's a bottom 2 starting shortstop in the entire MLB!

EDIT: I will say that he had a very important hit this game, and not a bad series overall. I absolutely want him to come through for the team this postseason, but I will be absolutely furious if he plays for the Brewers next year.

but the play he made in the 9th was 1000x more important. He doesn't get there and put his body 100% on the line, they don't win.
That play was really stupid, risky and unnecessary. As usual, Yuni was too dumb to understand the situation and was unaware that 39 year old backup catcher Henry White was running and he could have taken the easy out at first. Instead he has to sprint to 2nd with Upton running hard meaning there would certainly be a collision and no chance to get the other out at first. He luckily beat Upton to the bag by 6 inches. As soon as he started running to 2nd I was screaming at my TV, we were very lucky he didn't end our season with that boneheaded play.

He did the same thing in a Cards game in August, he fielded a grounder up the middle and tried to tag out a stealing runner instead of just ending the game and taking the easy out at first. Then he let Pujols hit with the winning run on base, an AB that should not have happened.

Yes the pick was nice, but it was a short hop which is an easy play for a MLB SS while charging.

I don't think anyone actually wants him back; but at this point in the season a big performance from him all but forgives his crappy regular season. What happened in the regular season is done and over with and the Brewers are exactly where they want to be; Yuni's crappiness did not impede them from getting homefield advantage in the NLCS. If Yuni fares well in the NLCS and/or World Series I will always love the guy even if he did suck for 4 months because he came through big when it matters. Of course I don't want him back next year because in the long run he probably would just go back to being Yuni; but if he has a steller NLCS or World Series I could careless what he did in the regular season.

One could suggest that the Brewers wouldn't be in the NLCS if we didn't have Yuni as our SS. Like it or not, that is a very real possibility.

How good he truly is, is beside the point. The Brewers are in the NLCS in large part to his efforts. This is exactly the opposite of the rantings and ravings all season about how he would "cost us in the playoffs." Well, that proved false. We remain in the playoffs because of him. I think this just serves as an example of how a point can be overstated and overblown. Yes, he is bad defensively and no great shakes at the plate, but would any of the supposed replacements that some were suggesting come through in that biggest of moments? Maybe, but probably not.

Instead of having a pout-party about how much we don't like him, let's focus on our energies on encourging him and cheering him. It's time to be fans, not critics.

"As for the Yuni bashing - it's a complete joke on this board and based on his play for the Brewers in 2011, mostly undeserved. "

What about his production shows him being anything but terrible? Why do some people put on the blinders when it comes to Yuni? Just to be contrarian?

Pretty much every report on Betancourt from scouts/managers/stats/fans in the last 4 years has said that he's awful at defense. He had a .271 OBP! Why is this being defended? He's a bottom 2 starting shortstop in the entire MLB!

EDIT: I will say that he had a very important hit this game, and not a bad series overall. I absolutely want him to come through for the team this postseason, but I will be absolutely furious if he plays for the Brewers next year.

NOBODY has put blinders on regarding Yuni. I was VERY PISSED when Melvin passed on Furcal, and that still might bite us in the arse.

The problem is, whenever someone doesn't join in the bashing of Yuni on here, it gets construed with praising the guy and they seem to think we want him as our everyday SS for the rest of his career when that couldn't be further from the truth.

The reality is this though - Furcal was a risk because of injury - outside of that, there was not a single clear cut upgrade. Even with a perfect 20/20 hindsight and looking back at the season, there isn't a single everday SS we can point to and say Melvin should have gone with him over Betancourt.

Did you watch him play defense in the games in Arizona in this series? He did cost the Brewers in the playoffs.

Sure I watched the games. Both games were blowouts. His defense did not cost us either game. To make any such assertion is simply trying to be contrarion. Clearly blind hatred of a player doesn't even allow objectivity in this case. Without his hit, the Brewers season is over. That's a fact. He didn't cost us the series, but his play went a long way toward us winning the series, and that's a fact as well.

The defense didn't cost them those games, just like his play yesterday didn't win them the game.

I think the grandslams and terrible pitching had more to do with either of those losses than Yuni's defense. He did not cost us either of those games. His hit brought in the run, without which we would have lost the game. You can't be serious that there is no difference. If any post could be properly described as "trolling", these last couple come mighty close.

I may not have been watching the same two games as some of you guys because his defense was stellar in my view. He made every play that he should have and more, turned a couple of nice DP's and every throw was right on the mark. For goodness sake, there were people in the IGT criticizing him for not getting to Cowgill's single the other day when he was positioned nearly behind second base. As for the run to second yesterday, had he tossed it and it had been dropped, I have a feeling that the same folks ripping him for running it to the bag would have been saying 'he should have taken it himself'. The guy just can't win with some people.

Can we just leave it at this:

1) Yuni is not as bad as many on here (myself included) thought he would be.

2) Yuni is still not a good baseball player.

3) Yuni had a big hit yesterday, and was obviously a key part of the win.

Can we just leave it at this:

1) Yuni is not as bad as many on here (myself included) thought he would be.

2) Yuni is still not a good baseball player.

3) Yuni had a big hit yesterday, and was obviously a key part of the win.

Done. Lock it up.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived