Brewer Fanatic

Unbelievable - Roof closed!

jeffy

Okay, now I have had it with the idiotic roof decisions!

I called the roof hotline as they always seem to be looking for reasons to close it, but I was not really expecting that they would come up with some asinine decision like this for today, but they did.

Forecast is for temps of 78 falling to 69 at 8 pm.

The roof should have been open for all three games. I complained loudly about the first two, but I can actually agree with keeping it closed today because of noise. I'm not completely sold that noise makes a big difference in baseball, but I hear the argument. Hopefully someone from Arizona doesn't hit a 3 or 4 run jack in the first inning or two to render that moot.

In the end though, this is Wisconsin. If someone can't sit outdoors in mild weather for a baseball game, perhaps they should stay home. I don't buy that the closures over the past week is MLB mandated either. I've been to plenty of day games in the early season where it is sunny and around 60 and the roof is closed. I find that to be a joke. My attitude, if it's raining, close it- under 50 degrees, close it- any amount of windchill reported, close it. Otherwise leave it open.

I believe it was Mickey Rivers who once said something along the lines of "I don’t get upset over things I can control, because if I can control them there’s no sense in getting upset. And I don’t get upset over things I can’t control, because if I can’t control them there’s no sense in getting upset."

Most of the comments on the J-S story on this are appropriately negative, calling this idiotic decision (whoever's it was) exactly what it is. So I think the majority of fans attending the game, you know the people who pay for MLB, would prefer to have the roof open on a nice pleasant day like this.

The excuse that MLB wants conditions consistent with the other 4 games is really pathetic.

If they want consistency, shouldn't they have made artificial rain for all the Yankess/Tigers games?

Exactly, To me consistency meant only trying to avoid a situation where the roof was open for part of the game and then had to be closed. For game 2, I was willing to accept keeping it closed since the temps would be dropping and it was likely they would want to close it sometime during the game and the temp at the start was no such that it was too warm in there. Today it is going to be near 80, add 44,000 plus hot bodies to that and it's probably going to be 85 or above in there.

No way Selig gets booed today. In any other city, yes. But today, with fans already excited, he'll be received as the man who brought baseball to (and kept baseball in) Milwaukee.

Of course, there's one way he could guaranty an ovation - Beast mode.

Well, the Brewers won the first two with the roof closed...
Small sample.... Seriously, that's my feeling too- I'm the superstitious sort. Frankly, I wish they'd leave the panels closed as well- Aaron Hill doesn't need any help getting a wall scraper down the line in the top of the first after Bloomquist reaches on a swinging bunt.

Archived