Brewer Fanatic

White Sox name Robin Ventura manager

patrickgpe

didn't see this one coming. I am surprised they went after someone with not only any major league managerial experience but without any coaching experience. One of the posters on mlbtrade rumors states that his highest coaching experience is the hitting coach on his sons high school baseball team.

link

They sure stick with their own in that organization. Give them that. I think managerial experience is highly overrated. First time managers Gibson and Roenicke have their teams in the playoffs. It's about team talent, not the manager.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This sounds like a Reinsdorf influenced hire.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

They sure stick with their own in that organization. Give them that. I think managerial experience is highly overrated. First time managers Gibson and Roenicke have their teams in the playoffs. It's about team talent, not the manager.
Yes, but Roenicke managed in the minors and both had prior coaching experience in the major leagues. Ventura has none of that. He's just stepping in and managing with no prior experience at all.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Seriously? Lol. Don't get this decision at all.
Why? The manager is nothing more than a figure head in baseball. You might get one win out of a manager all year that is 1 win out of 162 games. I just don't get why fans get so upset about the manager in baseball it is not like they are calling plays like in football. A baseball manager is so insignificant just look at Dusty Baker and see what he has done with teams. Baker is not a good manager but somehow he has made it to the World Series and has managed other clubs to the playoffs. The reason being is because he really didn't have any impact on the team it was the talent that got them there. Managers are so overrated in baseball.

Seriously? Lol. Don't get this decision at all.
Why? The manager is nothing more than a figure head in baseball. You might get one win out of a manager all year that is 1 win out of 162 games. I just don't get why fans get so upset about the manager in baseball it is not like they are calling plays like in football. A baseball manager is so insignificant just look at Dusty Baker and see what he has done with teams. Baker is not a good manager but somehow he has made it to the World Series and has managed other clubs to the playoffs. The reason being is because he really didn't have any impact on the team it was the talent that got them there. Managers are so overrated in baseball.

So if how do you know if he's not a good manager if he doesn't matter?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I really disagree that the manager isn't important at all. I think it's very important to have a manager that meshes well with his players. For instance, Macha was a horrible fit in Milwaukee as compared to Roenicke. That's not to say that Macha is a horrible manager, he just didn't fit in the clubhouse well. Roenicke is a great fit with the personalities on this team. Macha had no control whatsoever. Granted, Macha wasn't managing as talented of a team as Roenicke is, but I do think the teams he managed would've been more successful with a different manager. It was pretty evident that the players enjoy playing for Roenicke, which was clearly not the case with Macha. I think this teams success is definitely in part due to their demeanor and makeup. They play loose and have fun, which is something that would've never happened with Macha in control.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

ChiSox fans will probably love this. Nice to see an organization not afraid to get the guy it wants, as opposed to interviewing Bob Brenly & two other guys... then hiring one of those other two guys.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I want a Nolan Ryan rematch

Ventura getting out of the dugout to argue a call in Texas.... Nolan stands up from his seats behind home plate....

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

So the guy never managed in the minors before. He played baseball for 15 some odd years. He's also going to be managing in the AL.

So I'll write him up a guide that should get him through his first year.

Bat your best hitter 3rd. Bat your next best hitter/power hitter 4th.

Your fast guy/OBP guy hits first.

You have 5 starters, who pitch about 6 innings.

Your best reliever pitches the 9th inning when you're winning by 3 runs or less.

There, he's all set to go.

So the guy never managed in the minors before. He played baseball for 15 some odd years. He's also going to be managing in the AL.

So I'll write him up a guide that should get him through his first year.

Bat your best hitter 3rd. Bat your next best hitter/power hitter 4th.

Your fast guy/OBP guy hits first.

You have 5 starters, who pitch about 6 innings.

Your best reliever pitches the 9th inning when you're winning by 3 runs or less.

There, he's all set to go.

You forgot two:

Kameron Loe pitches the 8th inning, and your CF hits 2nd.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Managing in the NL isn't really any harder than the AL, maybe 1 out of 20 games or so is there actually a tough choice and that is being generous. I don't know if Roenicke even knows you can double switch and he did fine.

I would think Ventura would be fine at in game managing, the rest of it he might struggle with though and what happens outside of the games is somewhat important as well.

i think if they bring in a veteran bench coach it can work. It would also help to have an experienced pitching and hitting coach. There was a learning curve for Roenicke this season and he managed in the minors and had a decent amount of major league coaching experience. Ventura doesn't have that, so its going to be an uphill climb.

Also managers can loose games still by leaving in pitches too long. I think it can be argued that Gibson lost games 1 and 2 for Arizona. The talent can be there, but the manager still has influence in how the team does.

I did argue that it was insane to give up players for Ozzie because players have a larger influence on how a game ends up. I do believe that the manager has enough that you can't just sub in anyone.

Managing in the NL isn't really any harder than the AL, maybe 1 out of 20 games or so is there actually a tough choice and that is being generous. I don't know if Roenicke even knows you can double switch and he did fine.

I would think Ventura would be fine at in game managing, the rest of it he might struggle with though and what happens outside of the games is somewhat important as well.

I think RRR actually did double switch on a very select few occasions this year. He doesn't do it often, that's for sure.

Archived