Brewer Fanatic

The Optimism Thread

splitterpfj
and since this IS the optimism thread, I'll add this. After losing Monday, I think most of us would have been content with a 2-2 series. Well, the odds of Wolf beating Lohse are just as good as those of Yo beating Carpenter. They let one slip through last night, and it sucked something fierce.....but the game tonight is very winnable.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and since this IS the optimism thread, I'll add this. After losing Monday, I think most of us would have been content with a 2-2 series. Well, the odds of Wolf beating Lohse are just as good as those of Yo beating Carpenter. They let one slip through last night, and it sucked something fierce.....but the game tonight is very winnable.
Agreed. A lot depends on which Wolfottaras shows up tonight, but Randy has pleasantly surprised me with a gem before. Win on Thursday, and it's a best-of-three with two at home.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

For sure. Tonight is very winnable; Wolf is more than capable of giving us a good start. That would give us a chance to go back up 3-2 with Grienke vs Garcia. Obviously we already roughed Garcia up once (although he is a different pitcher at home)

The optimist in me is telling me that Weeks, Hart, Braun, Fielder, etc can't possibly duplicate the nothing they did yesterday so we should score some runs today off of Lohse.

There just isn't much evidence that either should continue to struggle in the post season.

Except that his execution & performance have been almost 180 degrees different from what he did most of the season.

Pitch selection? What? Obviously the results have been different.
Marcum has been throwing significantly fewer changeups and breaking pitches recently than he has throughout the season. I think is change up % has been cut in half. He's not keeping anyone off balance with his offspeed pitches...and a guy who's fastball tops out where Marcum's does can't really afford to have hitters sitting on it.

Nobody knows this more than Marcum. It's not the pitch selection. That's a symptom not a cause. It's command that's escaped him. Pitchers that rely on their change need command of their fastball to get into favorable counts. Marcum is either missing off the plate with his fastball and getting behind or leaving it over the plate to get hammered. His change is effective when it's below the knees. When he's behind in the count, 2-0, 3-1, hitters that are zoned in are not going to chase it. So he's trying to paint in that situation and he's missing.

I had a dream last night that Randy Wolf hit an improbable two run HR against Jason Motte to win the game. Can't really fathom how this would occur in tonight's game, but I have a feeling we win tonight and tomorrow too. Go Crew!

Last night I thought all the pressure was on St. Louis. They needed to win behind Carp, or face the very real possibility of coming back to Milwaukee down 3-2 unless they could somehow manage to win behind Lohse and against Greinke. Obviously, that win was big for them, and tonight I think the pressure is squarely on the Crew.

BUT this is the playoffs, and it's amazing how just one win can change the entire equation. A W tonight, and everything is all square with Greinke tabbed for Friday, and, even if ZG has struggled in his last two starts, he's still capable of really shutting an offense down. The Brewers need to bounce back, but just one win suddenly makes everything a lot brighter. I have a good feeling about tonight, so Go Brewers!

OK, so the series had its first tight game and the other guys won it. I'm not giving up on anything!

Yes, I believe the Brewers can win this game tonight. Yes, I believe the Brewers can win the game tomorrow night too.

Get the pitchers loose and let's see what happens...it's 2-1, not 200-1.

This is officially my favorite thread right now. Things are on a huge upswing with that victory.

All the Brewers need is one more win tomorrow and the series goes back to Milwaukee with 2 chances to close it out.

razzorsharp, any plans on gambling on game 5?

Archived