Brewer Fanatic

2011-10-04 Brewers (Marcum) at Diamondbacks (Collmenter) - [Brewers lose, 8-1; lead NLDS, 2-1]

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/pitchers/nlds/game3.jpg

Shaun Marcum

Marcum was touched up for seven runs on 10 hits over 4 2/3 innings in his last start on Sept. 26 against the Pirates. He has excelled on the road this season, posting an 8-3 record with a 2.21 ERA. He will be making his first career postseason start.

Diamondbacks vs. Marcum
Marcum Game Log

Josh Collmenter

Collmenter was promoted from Triple-A Reno on April 15 and stabilized the back of the rotation. His funky, over-the-top delivery was picked up throwing tomahawks in the woods as a kid. He did not allow a run in 14 innings vs. Brewers this year.

Brewers vs. Collmenter
Collmenter Game Log

Starting Lineups

1. Corey Hart RF
  2. Nyjer Morgan CF
  3. Ryan Braun LF
  4. Prince Fielder 1B
  5. Rickie Weeks 2B
  6. Jerry Hairston 3B
  7. Yuniesky Betancourt SS
  8. Jonathan Lucroy C
  9. Shaun Marcum RHP

1. Willie Bloomquist SS
  2. Aaron Hill 2B
  3. Justin Upton RF
  4. Miguel Montero C
  5. Paul Goldschmidt 1B
  6. Chris Young CF
  7. Ryan Roberts 3B
  8. Gerardo Parra LF
  9. Josh Collmenter RHP

Media Coverage

http://www.ishouldhavebeenanastronaut.com/brewfan/2011/media/media-tnt.jpg

Brewerfan Game Chat

MLB GameDay | ESPN GameCast | 620 WTMJ Affiliates

Fan Sites

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Amazing that only Nyger, Prince and Yuni have hits off of Collmenter. Hopefully this is more of a case where we failed to learn the first time, but now have something on him. Also, we may have upgraded our LF spot tonight as compared to those two games. Let's do this and give Wolf more time to rest that hand.
Formerly Andersoc420

From the Associated Press's preview of the game.

After a strong start to the season, Marcum had some struggles down the

stretch, putting up a 6.66 ERA in his final four outings, but he does

have postseason experience and has proven to be resilient.

Uh...

Something has to give here. Marcum is awesome on the road and the Brewers can't hit Collmenter a lick.

My gut tells me that the Brewers figure the guy out today. A come out of nowhere rookie starting a do or die playoff game; smells like disaster to me http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think that the Brewers figure this guy out. They had trouble against Kennedy before, then they beat him. Hudson was tough all year, and they beat him. Now they've had trouble against Collmenter, and they're going to beat him, too.

Plus, having your best hitter out there this time helps.

Dear Mr. Marcum,

I require 3 total post-season wins from you (this year, mind you) to forget that Brett Lawrie ever passed through the Brewers organization (even on his naturally projected 2032 Cooperstown enshrinement day, of course).

Today would be a good day to achieve 33% of this requirement.

Sincerely,

Harvey

From the Associated Press's preview of the game.

After a strong start to the season, Marcum had some struggles down the stretch, putting up a 6.66 ERA in his final four outings, but he does have postseason experience and has proven to be resilient.
Uh...

Terrible article.

Did it happen to mention that three of those starts were at home? Or that in his last four road starts, he has only given up 4 ER in 28 IP, for a 1.29 ERA?

I don't see the D-Backs getting four runs off him tonight.

I don't see the bullpen giving up even one run.

I see the Crew scoring more than four runs.

The series is over tonight.

Have to work until 10 so I am hoping by the time I get down the Brewers are comfortably ahead. I usually expect every team down 2-0 to win game 3 if it is in their place, but I like the match up tonight. Our approach has been great and patience against a guy like Collmenter is huge.

The Brewers will play for the NL Pennant if they win tonight.

I've been waiting my whole life for this.

I have a bottle of champagne in the fridge.

Finish them off.

Me too man. This is the first game I can watch this postseason. I'm busy right now covering my living room with plastic and i'm ready to pop the champagne.

Why do starters who are now in the bullpen pitch only out of the stretch? Worley comes in the game and goes straight to the stretch. I see this often and am always confused why. If you are used to pitching from the windup with noone on, why change it?

I have to work at 10, so lets get some early runs. This is my first Brewers can clinch a post season series game, I'm "only" 26, so I getting pumped up!
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Collmenter is a rookie who is all smoke and mirrors. If they are as focused as they have been the last 2 games, he'll get lit up.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I was at the July 5 game where Josh Collmenter had little trouble with the Brewers, so I'm having a bit of trouble getting that image out of my head. However, that game lacked Braun (injured) and Hairston (not acquired yet), and Shaun didn't pitch. So there's no special reason to expect a carbon copy.

1-0 for Tuesday, Brewers. You know what's within your reach, and you can get there tonight. Have fun, and good luck.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived