Brewer Fanatic

Why Do Athletes Use Eye Black?

Getpaddled

I used eye black (the real stuff, not the stickers) when I played ball. I never thought it worked much at all, but it looked cool as heck.

Of course, I was such a gritty ballplayer that half the time I'd wipe sweat off my face and totally forget I had the stuff on and end up smearing it all over my face. I looked like I was some commando in the jungle at the end of some games. I didn't care, though.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

When you start sweating it helped reduce the glare some I think, I would have worn Sunglasses if any of my coaches would have let us though. Also Pitchleague is right on the money, us outfielders looked big pimpin wearing the eye black smeared all over the place. Especially since we all had great speed and stole bases with head first slides. Strawberries on the elbows, eye black, dirt, and sweat all mixed together all over your face... now that's baseball!

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Awesome sig Aracko...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I have worn eye black once and thought it did nothing for me. But I'll go right along with the others, how cool does it look? Put some eye black on, with some high socks and it doesn't matter if you go 0-4, you look good doing it.

I've seen several folks say it's effect is either minimal or none.

Tell that to this guy. He always seems to have it smeared all over his face.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/tom_verducci/09/13/baseball.mailbag/t1_cabrera.jpg

Quote:
Tell that to this guy. He always seems to have it smeared all over his face.

Reminds me of the kid from "Little Giants" that started just putting over his eyes and then had it all over his face.

which is cooler? the stuff you smear on your face? or the plastic eye black band aids that just stick on?

I've seen some players use both eye black and sunglasses. I know for a fact Corey hart wears his sunglasses at night- or at least that's what I heard on my 80's rock radio station.

Quote:
I wear it for early softball games when the sun is still out. I think he helps a little bit ecspecially since I dont wear sunglasses.

I don't wear either. I like a challenge. Plus it's not that hard for me to pick up a flyball in the sun.

Archived