Brewer Fanatic

Paul Molitor's legacy

Invader3K

Yount was offered many chances to come back to coach and he finally did. Molly was offered many chances and always declined. In hindsight, it may have been more about Molly's at-the-time life circumstances than about Brewers bridges burned by Bando.

Molitor remarried sometime near his HOF induction, has a younger child, and is living in the Twin Cities with his family. He did a great job coaching with the Twins and they REALLY wanted him to stay on, but his "updated" family situation was the impetus in his decision to step away from coaching. He easily could've even become the manager had the Twins had any legit reason to fire Gardy (which, justifiably, they don't). His present gig with the Twins I'm sure allows him the flexibility to be a father to this child in a way he perhaps wasn't able to be to Blair -- and a husband the way he wasn't (eventually, anyway) to Linda.

The Brewers approached Molitor MANY times after his playing career about returning to Milwaukee to coach, maybe even manage, but he chose not to, usually saying (I think) that the timing wasn't right. After some of the stories of his personal life surfaced around his HOF induction time, that turbulence in that time of his life would seem to offer decent reasoning for why he felt the need to keep himself out of a long-term on-field commitment to any team.

Molly was clearly the better player after '92 but was offered a $1M contract -- a cut from the $3M+ he made in '92 ("only a DH," right Sal?) -- whereas Yount was obviously declining but was offered a small raise. Molly had several productive years remaining, whereas in '93 Yount's bat speed was so lousy that I think he fouled about 6 balls to left all year. It's too bad Molitor was treated the way he was by Bando b/c Molly was just as ready to be a lifetime Brewer as Yount was. Thanks to Bando's decision making, we lost out on many more great years of Molitor, not only as a player, but also as an organization member thereafter.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great post, MNBrew -- I hadn't kept track of Molitor in recent years. Thanks for the info, and the spot-on analysis of his tragic departure from Milwaukee [stabs Bando voodoo doll maniacally]. That was the only day I ever remember crying about anything related to sports. I started following the Brewers seriously right as Molitor was coming up. There's no way he wasn't going to be my favorite player. I understand what folks are saying about the differences between him and Yount, but the fact remains that Molitor had by far the greatest career in a Brewers uniform of any player other than Yount. I hope eventually he'll get a statue. It would be great to see him with the Brewers in some capacity, but if I was living happily in the Twin Cities, with enough money to keep the cold at bay, I'm not sure why I'd ever leave.

If he's happy in Mn, i don't see the big deal. He obviously no longer has the attachment that he does with the Twins. Does he get a bad rap? Sure. He is one of the greatest Brewers of all time, and hopefully he will get back into the family soon. But, until that day, you can't be shocked when Robin gets the adoration for not only playing his entire career here, but maintaining a connection here long after his career was over. Had Paul joined the brewers front office, and maintained a presence here, he would get the same treatment as Yount. No doubt in my mind.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I was crushed when the Brewers didn't re-sign him and he went to Toronto. Not just because he was/is my favorite player of all-time, but also because my aunt and uncle were building a house in Mequon across the street from his and I had dreams of going over to visit and getting invited to play catch with my baseball idol.

I'd still categorize him as part of the Brewer "family." He's just a more distant one than Yount, Gantner, Thomas, et al.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I love both Players and love seeing Yount back with Milwaukee,but i have been a Molitor fan since he came up and always wore #4 on any sport Jersey that i played ball.I will never forget that Dec day the at one Moment is was announced that the Brewers finally offered him arbitration and was so happy and then 15 minutes later it was announced that he signed with the Jays. I was crushed and devastated.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Molly was clearly the better player after '92 but was offered a $1M contract -- a cut from the $3M+ he made in '92 ("only a DH," right Sal?) -- whereas Yount was obviously declining but was offered a small raise.
The Brewers ultimately offered arbitration to Molitor, which would have gotten him his money -- but the Jays came in with a 3-year $13 million deal (plus a 4th year option).

I thought the Crew had initially offered Molitor $2.3 million, but that's going by memory. Still a big pay cut. Bando only offered arbitration at the last minute.

I remember being crushed at the time, but I understood it. $3 million or $13 million - not a hard choice, especially after Bando's 'only a DH' comment.

I think people pretty much have nailed it with regard to Molitor.

He will never have the love that Yount has, and for good reason. Some of it is his own doing, some of it not. It's just the way it is.

• Molitor had some personal issues that have arisen over the years (drug use, divorce, etc.). Yount hasn't.
  • Molitor left. As I said above, I don't blame him. But he did leave, and Yount never did.
  • Yount has a personality that makes you love him. Molitor just doesn't. Yount is still 'the kid'. He's still the guy who rode into County Stadium on his motorcycle. You gotta love that. Unfortunately for Molitor, he just didn't have that connection.
  • Yount has always come back to Milwaukee and celebrated with the city and team. He's been a coach. Molitor has not. He has been invited back in numerous capacities (player, coach, etc.). I can't stress this one enough. I loved Molitor. He was favorite player in the 80s. But I always felt that every time the Brewers reached out to him, he rebuffed them. Sure he came back for things like retiring his number, but I just sort of felt like wasn't interested - so I lost interest as well.

This topic is funny because I was talking about Yount and Molitor to my 12 year old son the other day. He didn't know who Molitor was. But he totally knew Robin. He's seen the jerseys. Seen robin. Heard people talk about him.

I think it's a good story for players who leave a city they are really entrenched in. You risk giving up something when you leave. Robin has a meal at every home in Wisconsin for the rest of his life if he needs it. Guys like Ganter and Gorman Thomas as well. To me, the thing that sucks is that I never blamed Molitor for leaving Milwaukee. Bando and the team were totally under appreciating his worth.

Bando offered arbitration after he was informed that Molitor was going to sign with Toronto. He did so to save a little face and get the draft picks (I believe they ended up as garbage like Joe Wagner, etc.). Molitor was gracious enough to let this happen. After a deadline day with absolutely no news, I remember watching Hunt on the 10PM TMJ news glowingly announce that Molitor had been offered arby and would be back at least one more year. I went to bed happy and then woke up the next morning to find the awful truth. I still believe that Molitor was allowed to walk to prove a Selig small market point. No one could be that stupid and cheap, could they? Either that or the success of '92 went to Bando's head. He pulled basically the same crap with Kevin Seitzer- basically forcing him to walk when he wanted to stay, and then went out and signed washed up stiffs like Bill Doran and Tom Brunansky. As fans we should have known something was up when Bando traded Dante Bichette for Kevin freaking Reimer during the expansion draft.

• Yount has always come back to Milwaukee and celebrated with the city and team. He's been a coach. Molitor has not. He has been invited back in numerous capacities (player, coach, etc.). I can't stress this one enough. I loved Molitor. He was favorite player in the 80s. But I always felt that every time the Brewers reached out to him, he rebuffed them. Sure he came back for things like retiring his number, but I just sort of felt like wasn't interested - so I lost interest as well.

Just to clarify, are you saying that Molitor was invited back as a player after his initial departure to Toronto or are you using that $1 million offer from the Brewers before he left as your example of when he was invited back as a player?

Just to clarify, are you saying that Molitor was invited back as a player after his initial departure to Toronto or are you using that $1 million offer from the Brewers before he left as your example of when he was invited back as a player?

From what I've always heard from people connected in the Twins organization..... Molitor almost returned to Milwaukee after '95. The Brewers had a better financial offer on the table than the Twins and added a bunch of perks for a post playing career. It was nearly a done deal, but his wife at the time was from the Twin Cities, didn't want to return to Milwaukee, and put the kibosh on it. They made a similar offer after 98 (?) but he chose to retire. I believe that he's been asked to coach a few times, if not interview for the managerial position. I remember reading that one of the first things Attanasio did was to reach out to him. By the way, I've always heard that the Brewer '93 offer was a one deal deal around 2.5 million- take it or leave it. As the off season dragged on, Molitor and his agent were basically awestruck how uninterested the Brewers were, so they started negotiating with other teams. Molitor definitely had planned to retire a Brewer. I remember a quote when he singed his last Brewer contract in the late 80's something to the effect that he'd retire a Brewer 'unless something really weird happens'. I guess Selig ascending to commish and Bando reigning as GM qualifies as 'weird...

It's not just that Molitor left, it's where he went. It's hard to imagine these days, but in 1992 the Blue Jays and Brewers dominated the AL East that also included the Red Sox and Yankees. In 92 it was the Blue Jays, flush with cash from opening their new ballpark that went out and got one of the highest priced pitchers in the game at that time, David Cone for the stretch run while the small market Brewers who were desperately trying to catch them couldn't do anything. The Jays were the hated big market enemy and Molitor, who could have gone anywhere, assured the Brewers decline by choosing the Blue Jays.

I know that didn't sit well with me at the time. Imagine the NL had the DH, and Fielder went and joined Pujols on the Cardinals.

The guy I'd like to get more love from the Brewer family is Jim Slaton. He's the only Brewer I know of who got traded away (for Ben Oglivie no less) and then one year later returned as a FA. Now there's loyalty to the organization that spawned your career.

The guy I'd like to get more love from the Brewer family is Jim Slaton. He's the only Brewer I know of who got traded away (for Ben Oglivie no less) and then one year later returned as a FA. Now there's loyalty to the organization that spawned your career.

I agree. Slaton was a pretty good pitcher, unfortunately during his peak he pitched for some very bad teams. I'm sure that he is right near the top of most Brewer pitching stats, but he's mostly forgotten with the dubious distinction of being traded for Bobby Clark. Kind of reminds me of the Seitzer thing... Bando let him walk, got lucky and got him back for his best years and then turned him into Burnitz in one of the top 5 trades in Brewer history.

On a similar note, another largely forgotten guy during the Slaton era was George Scott. He was basically Prince with a gold glove. I know that his last year, he said some things and was mostly booed out of town, but it's almost criminal how obscure he is in Brewers lore....a walk of famer for sure.... plus he was turned into Cecil Cooper.

Same reason 20 years from now people will remember Braun as the greatest Brewer and not Fielder. Even though Molitor was better than Yount and Fielder is probably better than Braun.
Even though both are your opinions...no way Fielder is better than Braun.

I agree. Slaton was a pretty good pitcher, unfortunately during his peak he pitched for some very bad teams. I'm sure that he is right near the top of most Brewer pitching stats, but he's mostly forgotten with the dubious distinction of being traded for Bobby Clark. Kind of reminds me of the Seitzer thing... Bando let him walk, got lucky and got him back for his best years and then turned him into Burnitz in one of the top 5 trades in Brewer history.

On a similar note, another largely forgotten guy during the Slaton era was George Scott. He was basically Prince with a gold glove. I know that his last year, he said some things and was mostly booed out of town, but it's almost criminal how obscure he is in Brewers lore....a walk of famer for sure.... plus he was turned into Cecil Cooper.

More forgotten then Scott, was the guy who's name I stole for a monicker. Do you realize on the day Briggsie was traded away for the awful (as a Brewer) Bobby Darwin, he had a .447 OBP, the Brewers were 28-28 and only 3.5 games out of first. Without Briggs they went 40-66 the rest of that year. Briggs was also the first Brewer to go 6 for 6 in a game, and he once hit two home runs (including a GS) in a game off of Nolan Ryan in 1972, which was no small feat, considering that was a year that Ryan fanned 329 and only allowed a total of 14 HR all year in 284 innings. Having been at that game, it cemented Briggs as my first ever favorite Brewer.

More forgotten then Scott, was the guy who's name I stole for a monicker. Do you realize on the day Briggsie was traded away for the awful (as a Brewer) Bobby Darwin, he had a .447 OBP, the Brewers were 28-28 and only 3.5 games out of first. Without Briggs they went 40-66 the rest of that year. Briggs was also the first Brewer to go 6 for 6 in a game, and he once hit two home runs (including a GS) in a game off of Nolan Ryan in 1972, which was no small feat, considering that was a year that Ryan fanned 329 and only allowed a total of 14 HR all year in 284 innings. Having been at that game, it cemented Briggs as my first ever favorite Brewer.
Briggs was a solid player along with Davey May as well. Though he's probably retired now, last I heard Briggs was working in law enforcement on the East Coast. I remember being dissappointed at the closing of County Stadium that guys like Scott, Briggs, May, Harper and Pattin weren't involved (I think Colborn had an MLB coaching job somewhere). Perhaps they were invited but declined. They definitely had more of an impact on the franchise than guys who represented that era like Lew Krausse, Danny Walton and Ron Theobald.

You're right RCC, Briggs ended up in law enforcement, if memory serves it might have been back in his hometown of Patterson, NJ.

I remember back when he was traded, Briggs wasn't happy leaving the Brewers (and he retired at just 31 soon after that half season with the Twins). He had come up as a very young player for the Phils and he never quite got past being a platoon player there and of course in that town it can be rough. He had a string of solid years as a Brewer and although that team with Scott, May, and Briggs in the middle of the order never finished with a winning record, they did win over skeptical fans that had yet to embrace this new team especially in 73 when they went on a 10 game winning streak and made noise in the first half of 74 and 75 as well.

that is correct. as rockcocougers notes, after his contract in Toronto ran out, the brewers talked to him about coming back. but his wife didn't want to come back to milwaukee. At least, that was the story. but i think the biggest thing is Molitor wanted to play for the Twins more than anything - go home, play for his boyhood team.

Briggs was a solid player along with Davey May as well. Though he's probably retired now, last I heard Briggs was working in law enforcement on the East Coast. I remember being dissappointed at the closing of County Stadium that guys like Scott, Briggs, May, Harper and Pattin weren't involved (I think Colborn had an MLB coaching job somewhere). Perhaps they were invited but declined. They definitely had more of an impact on the franchise than guys who represented that era like Lew Krausse, Danny Walton and Ron Theobald.

Boomer Scott and Johnny Briggs were at a signing at Waukesha Sportscards not that long ago. Scott made a comment that he didn't come back for a Brewers event (perhaps the unveiling of the Selig statue?) because the team didn't want to pay him for his appearance.

I don't blame him for trying to grab the money where and when he can. He's in failing health and has difficulty getting around, so for him to travel would require a payday.

But that may be why Boomer isn't more involved with the Brewers.

Briggs looked in great shape and both guys remain friendly to fans and each other.

For me, it's pretty much what others have stated. Yount is THE Brewer to me because of the length of his tenure with just our team - spanning from before my birth to my early teens. He never became anyone we rooted against for any reason. It doesn't matter to me why Molitor left, just that he left and was no longer "our guy" for a decent portion of his career.

Hypothetically, imagine that Favre never even mentioned retirement and was just unceremoniously pushed out by Ted Thompson who wanted to go with a younger guy. Even then, if Rodgers goes on to retire a Packer, I'd still end up liking Rodgers more simply because he's our guy and only our guy. I'd like Favre a lot more than I do under the real-world conditions, but the scales would still be tipped toward the guy I never had to cheer against.

Boomer Scott and Johnny Briggs were at a signing at Waukesha Sportscards not that long ago. Scott made a comment that he didn't come back for a Brewers event (perhaps the unveiling of the Selig statue?) because the team didn't want to pay him for his appearance.

I don't blame him for trying to grab the money where and when he can. He's in failing health and has difficulty getting around, so for him to travel would require a payday.

Good grief, they couldn't have tossed a few grand at him for the County Stadium closing ceremonies? After all, he was one of the most colorful and productive players in team history. From the last I heard, he was in ill health, so it's good to hear that he's at least able to get around now and then. He lives in Alabama or Mississippi now, doesn't he? He should definitely be voted on the Walk of Fame

I think he's in Mississippi.

Physically, he's kind of a mess. I don't know what is causing it, but he's got to be 300 lb. or close. He moves around very slowly with a metal walker on wheels, and I can't remember if he was complaining about his knees, or maybe his hips or what.

I think he drives everywhere he goes, and remember meeting him at Gonzaga Hall a couple of years back. I asked him about an earlier show appearance in Westchester County, NY. He cancelled that show, and the promoter said that he was ill, but Boomer said that he drove up there, found out the terms of the appearance weren't to his liking, and drove back home.

He still has a very captivating personality that dominates the room. Not sure how it works when the Brewers invite guys back for stuff. I would think the invitation and maybe travel expenses might be enough, but maybe they get paid, too.

Whatever it was, I guess Boomer wanted more.

rockcocougars, what brewers player is that in your avatar?
Chris Dickerson

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Chris+Dickerson+Milwaukee+Brewers+Photo+Dayvd9Q5eN7gl.jpg

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived