Brewer Fanatic

What was with the Gestapo in the parking lot?

My uncle works with head security for the Brewers and is part of the "bike" team. He told me a few weeks ago before the end of the season that they were going to be enforcing a stricter rule of "kicking" out the fans from the parking lot about 1 hour after the game. He said that there are many occassions where people will watch the game for a few innings, leave around the sixth inning and tailgate for three hours after the game, kind of making a bar out of the parking lot. This happened to me in fact in the Molitor lot one night. Game ended, I walked to the car with the kids and wife right after and the "kids" around us were literally all set up the same just like before the game. They had to have been there for at least 3 innings to have that much stuff already pulled out. I had my truck surrounded by chips, dip, and salsa tables with young girls leaning on my truck and shooting the breeze. I am pretty mild mannered and decided to just sit it out with the wife and kids cuz there was no way to get out of there with all those people around. They were too loaded to know that my vehicle wasn't a part of their tailgate. I left 1 hour and a half after the final pitch and they were still going strong.....

Obviously the crowd at 11PM is a lot more "lubed up" than the crowds before the game so there is concern about safety in the parking lots. It costs money to police the large parking lots and the Brewers/MLB don't want any bad incidents happening at midnight after some Saturday game in an unsupervised lot where all the security has gone home.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Brewers should be able to charge whatever the market will bear, within reason of respecting their long term customers (ie. the season ticket holders). They've shown they are willing to take that revenue and put it back into the team so I am all for it. An extra $5-7 for this experience? Considering the amount I plan on spending on airfare to attend some of these games and the magnitude of the experience, I'm not really getting the bitterness. Small price to pay IMO.

How many cars do the MP lots hold? My guess is at least 10,000. Multiply that by 20 bucks minimum, and you should have more than enough revenue to provide for cleanup, security before and after the game and enough to sock away in a rainy day maintenance fund. Again, who gets the money here? It wasn't that long ago that parking was 5 or 6 bucks.

The roof was closed because cool temperatures were anticipated late in the game. MLB doesn't want the roof moved during postseason games. That's too bad. The in-season policy of moving the roof when it actually gets cold makes sense.

This all started when the Astros were in the postseason a few years ago. They wanted to "creatively" move their roof in a way that departed from what they were doing during the regular season. That's too bad. It ruined things for everyone.

As far as parking goes, I'm fine with the concept of emptying the lot after a certain period of time. However, common sense should prevail. If cars are still lined up, it makes no sense to tell people to hurry up and wait. How about going with one hour or when there's no line of cars, whichever is later?

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Houston only ruined things if MLB is too incompetent to distinguish between "we are going to play with the roof position because we think it is an advantage to..." vs. "we are going to start with the roof open, because it is a comfortable sunny day, when the temperature drops to 60 (for example) we will close the roof at the end of the next complete inning".

I was in the preferred lot for both games (Brewers 1) and the biker patrol stopped by about an hour afterwards. They were polite as were we. They told us to be gone by the 90 minute mark. After 90 minutes, they came by again and we were just about done packing up. Again, they were very polite. I have no problem with 90 minutes as most of the gridlock has evaporated by then. The first time I noticed the bike patrol was on Friday when they clinched.
Formerly ricoswab

Between the price gouging on parking, and all the extra hoops that you have to go through just to park, etc., it's just not worth it.

If your main complaint is that, then it's simple...don't park in the lots. Do a little research and find where you can park for free and walk, it's good exercise on a nice day like yesterday. (of course, that doesn't work if tailgating is a big factor for you)

I never use the lots, after a 20 minute walk I drive home with absolutely no traffic problems by avoiding the freeway.

It's also maddening that the roof is consistently closed on days like we had on Saturday and Sunday.

I agree, with that...well, for Sunday or at least part of Sunday. I have said before that, unfortunately, they look for reasons to have it closed, rather than looking for reasons to have it open. Usually that would bother me much more, but it was such a big game I really didn't care.

I was not there on Saturday, but my impression was it was cool enough that I would have agreed with closing it, as most fans are not in the sun and mid 50s gets cold when you are just sitting.

This is sort of off topic, but if the are going to continue charging this much to park at games, would it kill them to put some more bathrooms out there? The Molitor lot has about 10 portajohns total....its absurd how long the lines get and that they have that few bathrooms. How much could it really cost to add 5-10 more of them?

I guess my perspective is that the Brewers are running a business, and it's up to them to set their rules and enforce them. I think an hour is ample time to have a couple drinks and food after a game, and then it's reasonable to ask people to leave. If you feel the need to hang out and party longer than that, go to a nearby bar or elsewhere. I do think sending multiple squad cars after a few people is a bit over the top, but I'm guessing there's a reason for those procedures. A few bad apples in the past probably spoiled it for everyone.

And the roof being closed was due to MLB, not the Brewers. Email the commissioner's office if you legitimately want to complain.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

As for my thoughts on prices, it's the playoffs. They charged what they thought the market would bear. Seeing as the lots were jammed up both games they must have set the right price point, and are probably thinking they could have gone a bit higher.

I haven't crunched through the legalese and I am not sure exactly how the lots are titled, but I'll chip in my best legal guess. I believe the lots are held in a trust that the Stadium District runs, like allowing them to contract with MPD or MCSD for extra security on premises. The parking pass give you a license to be on the grounds, subject to the posted rules. The rules are observed more with large crowds, too much liability. 2.5 hours after the game somebody cracks their head or gets in a brawl they don't want the tort lawyers sniffing around.

Besides, you really want to hang outside and drink, well, you don't have to go home but you can't stay here. Think of the 1 hour rule like paying a quarter for a cart at Aldi. they are keeping the costs low.

This is sort of off topic, but if the are going to continue charging this much to park at games, would it kill them to put some more bathrooms out there? The Molitor lot has about 10 portajohns total....its absurd how long the lines get and that they have that few bathrooms. How much could it really cost to add 5-10 more of them?

I was thinking the exact same thing on Saturday morning, would it really cost that much to throw up a small bathroom.

This is another thing that irks me big time. Opening Day there is literally a 10 minute wait to use a portapotty. Eventually there are groups that begin using the parking lots and/or surrounding greenspace as latrines. It's kind of tough to blame them.

The parking structures around the Bradley Center charge $20-$30 for Bucks and Marquette games during the regular season. When the NCAA tournament was in town, it was more.

The face value on my Terrace Reserved NLDS ticket is $15. For NLCS its $40. SSH who bought their parking in advance are paying $15 a game.

The Brewers are BEYOND reasonable in their pricing and parking. I think people are spoiled by how good we have it at other times and they are surprised when the Brewers meet market value.

As mentioned by others, there are several other options for getting to Miller Park, including walking, the city bus and bar shuttles. The Brewers didn't have to create giant parking lots where fans could tailgate, but they did. You are paying for that privilege.

The Marquee games are usually against Chicago, St. Louis and Minnesota - I believe the assumption is that more out-of-town people drive to the games and the Brewers charge them a premium to be at the games. Cubs fans flock to Miller Park because they can tailgate, the tickets are easier to get than tickets at Wrigley and they are cheaper. Even at the Marquee price, Cubs fans are getting off cheap. The Brewers are taking advantage of that traveling crowd and charging them to be there.

This idea will be in effect even more so next year, as they've added another "tier" of games:

For 2012, the Brewers are introducing a new concept in pricing structure for Individual Game tickets. There will be three categories of games and corresponding prices: “Blue” Games (56 games), “Gold” Games (6 Saturday and 6 Sunday games from June through August), and the traditional “Marquee” Games (Opening Day, 9 Cubs, and 3 Twins games).

Edit to add:

Everyone is talking like tailgating is their right, and its not. We're lucky the team and the town support the tradition, but its something we should grateful for.

LOL @ calling a bike cop who asks you to leave after one hour (and then doesn't really even enforce it) 'Gestapo'.

Thank you. I didn't want to be that guy, but comparing some security personnel who tell you you can't drink beer in the parking lot more than an hour after a baseball game to the Nazi Secret Police who tracked down and murdered thousands of Jews seems a tad overboard to me.

FWIW, I know a lot of cops and the impression I get from a lot of them is that they don't like having to tell the same person to do something more than one time. It may be a bit arrogant, but they feel when a cop gives you a legal order you should probably listen to them. It seems like a lot of the people who were there are mentioning that they were told two or three times to go before they actually did. I don't care what you do, it's certainly up to you and I'm not here to judge, but if you've been told to leave two or three and don't it doesn't seem like you should really be upset if a cop comes and raises his voice or stands there to make sure you actually do leave. Remember that they can't go home until you do.

I hear the arguments for charging more during marquee games. If that's the case, why don't they charge more for beer and food inside the stadium as well? Like I said, I can see charging more for a ticket to an 'important' game. Increasing the parking rates, etc. just seems like price gouging to me (yes, I know that the Brewers have every right to do so, you don't need to 'park there', etc.) I also don't like the idea of cutting a check/ making a cc payment ahead of time for parking for 11 games, many that won't be played, it will be cold/rainy out, etc. I'm nomally not one of these guys, but the stadium infrastructure (roads, parking lots, etc) were initially funded by the taxpayers of Milwaukee County and the state. Even though it appears that the 'control' of these lots has passed from Milwaukee County to the Brewers over the years, it doesn't seem right that they can jack the parking prices Carte Blanche and make people pay weeks ahead of time for the overpriced parking.

Could someone please rename this thread, Things RockCoCougars doesn't like about going to Brewer Games"? It would be much more accurate.

If you want to go to marquee games on a weekend when the weather is nice (so the roof is open and you can tailgate 3 hours before and 1 hour after), you will have to pay for it. If you don't want to, there's 40 thousand people who will. I'm happy those people exist, since they allow the Brewers to support an $85+ mil payroll.

Could someone please rename this thread, Things RockCoCougars doesn't like about going to Brewer Games"?

Don't get me started, I'd be typing all night. There are many reasons that I let my season tickets lapse about 10 years ago. As pertaining to the topic, I just think that it's somewhat hypocritical that they promote these games as a huge 'event' and price parking accordingly, but then they hustle everyone out of the parking lot when there is gridlock on the service roads, entrance ramps and freeway.

If you don't want to, there's 40 thousand people who will. I'm happy those people exist, since they allow the Brewers to support an $85+ mil payroll.

That.

Touche. But the real question is whether this recent infusion of 'lifelong Brewer fans' will remain to pay $30 for parking after the next 95 loss season.

If you don't want to, there's 40 thousand people who will. I'm happy those people exist, since they allow the Brewers to support an $85+ mil payroll.

That.

Touche. But the real question is whether this recent infusion of 'lifelong Brewer fans' will remain to pay $30 for parking after the next 95 loss season.
Obviously not since parking won't cost $30 with a 95 loss team since that team wouldn't make the playoffs (unless the division is really bad). I think people will gladly pay extra to park in the playoffs. When the regular season begins again next year, it will be back in the $10 range. I don't get what all the fuss is about.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Archived