Brewer Fanatic

Kennedy's comment on Lucroy

moofnelson

From the Arizona Republic: This quote from Dbacks pitcher Ian Kennedy came after the game:

When asked if he considered walking Jonathan

Lucroy to get to Yovani Gallardo in the sixth inning, he said, "It was a

guy who can't really hit and Gallardo can swing it a little bit. There

was no thought at all for me at least."

I think we can chalk up that comment to being poorly worded. I certainly don't think that Ian was intending to insult Lucroy or stir a pot. If I were Jonathan, I'd have a laugh over it.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the point he was trying to make about the gap between Lucroy and Gallardo not being as great as it might be had another pitcher been on deck. The flaw, of course, is that even though the strategy can be justified, Jon is a pretty good #8 hitter. If I were in Kennedy's position, I might have drawn a parallel to the fact that he didn't walk Prince either. Or I might have brought up the possibility that the Brewers could have pinch hit for Gallardo.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Luc struggled in the second half but to say he can't really hit is crazy. However, I can see what Kennedy was probably saying. The funny thing is Lucroy hit a ball much harder earlier in the game with runners on and got out.

Lucroy is a career .260 hitter while Gallardo is a .218 hitter which is what you're really focusing on with a man at 3B. It is questionable that walking Lucroy is agood move since it would cause Yo's BA to go up with a man on 1B and he has decent power.

I hope Lucroy sees this, hulks out, and doesn't make an out the rest of the playoffs with 6 homers.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Of Ian Kennedy's starting 8 teammates yesterday... Lucroy's .265 season average was better than Aaron Hill (.246), Chris Young (.236), Ryan Roberts (.249), Lyle Overbay (.234) and was equal to Willie Bloomquist (.266). So if Lucroy can't hit ... the Brewers should rest their starters from here on out because neither can the majority of Arizona's team.

I guess I'm in the minority.....I think he said exactly what he meant......
I'm with you. Not sure why Kennedy is talking so much trash as he made two bone-headed decisions yesterday that ended up costing him the game; pitching to Lucroy w/ 2 outs and a man on third and the pitcher coming up next and pitching to Fielder w/ two outs and a 1st base open. Just sounds petty for a pitcher to say such things after he gets knocked around.

Too much is being read into this. I can't accuse someone of talking trash without some kind of proof. To me, this looks like a direct answer to a direct question. It's a lousy answer, but I really doubt that Kennedy was trying to stir the pot.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I assume Kennedy means Lucroy doesn't really have much pop in his bat, & Yo has at least as much if not more. Simply meaning why put one more guy on base when you have similar or better power waiting on-deck?

Lucroy's a valuable player for the Brewers, but certainly not (yet) for his bat.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived