Brewer Fanatic

2011-10-01 Diamondbacks (Kennedy) at Brewers (Gallardo) - Brewers win, 4-1; Lead Series 1-0]

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

SO much to say about being in Miller Park today.........what an unbelievable day at the ballpark.

The pre-game introductions were great.....even guys like McGehee and

Yuni, who were (rightfully) boo'd for much of the season got nice

O's......and guys like Axford, Braun, Prince, Counsell........it was

awesome. Uecker throwing out the first pitch, you could tell he was

super pumped about this.

The crowd was 100% into this game on every pitch. Yo had the jitters in

the first inning for sure, but after that, as you guys obviously know,

he settled down and flat out dominated. When Braun threw out Bloomquist

at the plate, I thought the roof was gonna come off the place.

Then, in the 7th, when GIbson for some INEXPLICABLE reason pitched to

Prince and he hit that 600 mph rocket out in right, the place went nuts.

They did the "Jump Around" in the 8th, and I got in on my cell phone

video camera, and it was awesome. TBS had to love this game, even if

the ratings weren't the best, the fans were NUTS all game long.

The atmosphere, oh man.........I don't know if anyone else was there,

but so cool, and WAY different than what we're used to.

On the way out of the park, there were spontaneous cheers of GO BREWERS

GO breaking out all over the place, and there was just a very palpable

buzz in the stadium all day long that just seemed to grow and grow.

I know, I know, some of the more 'wordly' fans of teams that have been

there and done that will come in hear and read this and lol at this all

and all I got to say is screw off, I'm 37, and this was my first playoff

game in person, of any kind, in any sport, and damn, it was special,

and it was an absolute fantastic day that I'll not ever forget.

We were high fiving people all the way out to our car. I just hope the

team reserves their emotional energy better than the fans, because we

sure put out a LOT today.

Bloomquist getting thrown out at the plate in the first inning ended up being a huge play. It kept the crowd into the game early. Great crowd today. Yo did a fantastic job on the mound, and Kirk Gibson handed us runs by pitching to Lucroy with a base open and pitching to Prince with a base open. Nice to get game one, especially with minimal bullpen usage. All hands on deck behind Zack tomorrow since he's going on three days rest.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I was there today too and I agree the energy in the ballpark was ridiculous! I was at Game 3 in 2008 and I would rank today right up there with that crowd. Braun's throw in the first inning set the tone and the buzz just continued to grow after that. When Prince hit that bomb the place just went mad! I love playoff baseball and nothing can compare to it, hopefully it doesn't end anytime soon!

Can't say enough good things about Gallardo, he really set the bar high for Greinke tomorrow. Also Axford is just filthy.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Game 3 in 2008, the fans were more nervous and everything was very tense. Today, especially after the first inning jitters, it was more like a party.

Still way too many people getting up to leave their seats (and returning) during pitches though... have some courtesy for those of us trying to actually watch the game, folks...

Game 3 in 2008, the fans were more nervous and everything was very tense. Today, especially after the first inning jitters, it was more like a party.

Still way too many people getting up to leave their seats (and returning) during pitches though... have some courtesy for those of us trying to actually watch the game, folks...

THANK YOU! After the 4th inning, I finally had to say something to the party of 8 in front of us. They were BARELY interested in the game, and up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down. There was not a single half inning in which at least 2 members of their group were not coming and going during an at-bat. Absolutely ridiculous. I missed most of both of Fielder's first 2 at bats because of this, and this was really the only thing that was casting a downer on an otherwise awesome day.

Most people seem to know that if you are coming or going, do so at least after an at-bat, but not these people. Like I said, they were barely watching the game.

Yeah that is really annoying when people continually do that, at least wait until the half inning to get up and go. We were fortunate that we didn't have to worry about that today since we had 1st row loge bleacher seats.

We had a great time in 222 with the splitterpfj party. The people in front of us weren't quite as ADD as we're used to encountering in our regular season family section seats, so I guess we had that going for us, which was nice. We did overhear a couple of doozies from the party behind us - for example:

Guy behind us: "So what exactly is the deal with Nyjer Morgan and this...T...Plush?"

Woman behind us, after Yo walked someone: "They'd better get their bats going because the pitching isn't going anywhere."

Same woman, a few minutes later: "I hardly know anyone on the Brewers' roster."

So glad these folks are here instead of diehards. Oh, well.

One of my best memories from the 2008 NLDS was how turbocharged the crowd and atmosphere were for that Saturday game 3. From my vantage point (since consider who was sitting behind me), today's crowd was maybe a notch less energetic. However, in the post-game tailgate a few of us bf.netters discussed that and reasoned that (1) it wasn't an elimination game, like the first home game was in '08; (2) it was kind of like the fans realize, as do the players, that the work isn't done and just being there isn't quite enough this time.

Still, I had a mighty happy afternoon. Like others have said, that 7-2 putout at home plate in the first was absolutely huge. Arizona was on the verge of getting the momentum, and the Brewers pretty much said, "Uh-uh...it's ours." And like the rest of you, I was flummoxed that the D-backs left Ian Kennedy in to pitch to Prince. 109 pitches, what could go wrong? That was kind of Yostian, but I won't complain about the result.

So, yeah, happy tonight, and geeked out over the opportunity to take my nephew to a postseason game Sunday. Don't let up, Brewers.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

What's interesting is that the group of people I went with yesterday had also gone in 2008, and they shared the sentiment that during the game (that 4-1 win vs. the Phils), it had maybe been a little more raucous inside Miller Park in 2008. Maybe. But they said, after the game, DEFINITELY yesterday there was a lot more of a celebratory/anticipatory mood. Let's face it, in 2008, we were happy to be there. This time, there's expectations that we'll at least make a run. If the Crew don't at least win this opening series, it will be considered a let down.

In 2008 there was also an element of sheer wonder that a playoff game was happening in Milwaukee. So you had up to 26 years (depending on one's age) of pent-up longing contributing to the vibe. I remember thinking in 2008 that the Saturday game seemed full of die-hards, and Sunday's had a noticeable influx of more casual fans who were there to say they were there.

Of course, that one pitcher who there's no value in naming killed any remaining buzz with his pitches to the first batter of the game.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Yeah, I was at Game 3 in 2008, and it really was electric during the game. I think after the game, the atmosphere was somewhat subdued (though there were still chants and cheering), because people knew who was pitching the next day, and we were already down 2-1. I think now people have higher expectations.

I wasn't able to go yesterday, and won't be able to make any games in this series due to a couple different reasons. Hoping to make at least one game in the NLCS and beyond... Glad to hear everyone had an awesome time, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Community Moderator
For what it's worth, the couple next to us in 2008 Game 3 were completely uninterested. I believe they left after the 4th inning or so. I don't know how or why people like that make it to the game, but considering the energy level you hope that they can win over a few new fans.

I was at Game 3 in 2008, and I remember how nervous/anxious it felt - I interpreted the crowd feeling that way, but it could've just been my own emotions. We were down 0-2, so I'm sure that was the biggest factor, along with the novelty of it all. I honestly remember very little of the game itself - very much a blur of anxiety, excitement and then relief.

Was at the game Sat...

Was very cool... yes, not as much overall excitement and there was in '08, but we got bigger expectations this time..

Also.. was very cool to hear Overbay get a nice cheer when he got announced. ( even better since he didn't do much )

You knew me as Myday2001.

Archived