Brewer Fanatic

Brewers new television contract

AJAY

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but there was a little blurb in a NY Times article about Mark Attanasio which suggested the Brewers next TV deal in 2013 will earn them three times the amount of revenue as compared to the current deal. Can anyone verify if this estimate is accurate? Does anyone have any inside information?

http://www.nytimes.com/20...ml?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Thank you for the link. I hadn't read that Attanasio played Strat and read Bill James Abstracts.

I don't recall reading that the Brewers had come close to tripling revenue from the new deal. Had heard it was better, but not the significance of it. Would be awesome if this meant a move to a payroll of $100M in a few years, but I would guess that an increase in revenue will mean a decrease of some kind in revenue sharing coming in.

2. WMLW starts transmitting a high def signal.
I remember they promised they were upgrading to HD for this season. Of course, that didn't happen. I know someone on this board used to work for their company and talked about what a third rate company they are. Not really interested in investing in modern technology, apparently.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

When you brag about showing Green Acres and Happy Days, you don't really need to concern yourself with how great your signal is. Your average viewship is just happy to have a color TV and a great grandkid to set the VCR time.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Also hoping there's a clause in the new TV deal that reads something like this:

XVI © 3: Jerry Augustine and Davey Nelson shall not be seen or heard during the broadcast of any televised game. Said ban shall include any pre-game or post-game coverage.

When you brag about showing Green Acres and Happy Days, you don't really need to concern yourself with how great your signal is. Your average viewship is just happy to have a color TV and a great grandkid to set the VCR time.
Green Acres is one of the greatest comedies of all time. But your point is a valid one.

When it comes to WMLW, all I can think of is the movie "UHF" with Weird Al.
I'd rather see Rock drink from a fire hose than see another on-field instructional.
http://i.imgur.com/KF8fW.gif

That would only happen if Trenni found the marble in the oatmeal.

Considering WMLW is a subchannel of WDJT, I don't think they'll have enough bandwidth to show 2 HD streams at once without the quality being obscenely bad on both (and the quality WDJT has now is pretty brutal - yesterday's Packers game was terrible).

So until WMLW moves to their own standalone digital channel, I'm not expecting any changes.

Considering WMLW is a subchannel of WDJT, I don't think they'll have enough bandwidth to show 2 HD streams at once without the quality being obscenely bad on both (and the quality WDJT has now is pretty brutal - yesterday's Packers game was terrible).

So until WMLW moves to their own standalone digital channel, I'm not expecting any changes.

Is this why the HD quality for NCAA March madness is always horrible on my TV (televised on CBS)?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Considering WMLW is a subchannel of WDJT, I don't think they'll have enough bandwidth to show 2 HD streams at once without the quality being obscenely bad on both.
WMLW's main broadcast is on Channel 41.1. That wouldn't affect WDJT. Channel 58.2 could easily be left as standard definition while 41.1, cable, and satellite broadcast HD.

You can have 2 HD streams on one channel, but at least one of the two needs to be 720p, and compression needs to be high. It's done in some markets, but it's not necessarily the best situation.

sheetswannabe

wrote:

What differences would there be if the

Brewers started their own network? Obviously more money, but I am just

wondering how that would go. Would it be 24/7

Brewers?

The big problem would be to get the cable and satellite companies to carry the network. The situation would have to be financially advantageous to everyone involved. The Twins failed miserably when they tried to start their own network.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The Brewers could make deals with Marquette, UW-Milwaukee, the Wave, Admirals, Rattlers, and Bucks, along with other entities just like FSW. I think the Twins' channel was going to show ESPNews when nothing else was on. The problem is, no cable/sat provider is going to pay for two local sports channels unless they have to, so FSW and BN could not both exist, it would be one or the other.

The Twins now get far more money from FSN than they did before, so it was worth it for them.

Also hoping there's a clause in the new TV deal that reads something like this:

XVI © 3: Jerry Augustine and Davey Nelson shall not be seen or heard during the broadcast of any televised game. Said ban shall include any pre-game or post-game coverage.

What do you have against stuttering, stammering, endless and various references to battling, and boatloads of baseball cliches?

Davey Nelson used to drive me crazy with his chronic stammering like every broadcast is still his first time in front of the camera and then once he actually spits out a sentence, he says pretty much nothing except the clearly obvious or some baseball cliche. Then one night i was really buzzed and watching Brewers Live with friends, which lead to some laughter as Davey yet again struggled badly to put together a coherent sentence with stammering multiple times. So from that point on, i look forward to him being on just for the pure entertainment value of watching him try to get out more than two straight sentences without stammering like nervous person put in front of a camera for the first time.

As for Augustine, he's got that amusing and big time Fargo like accent going on, similar to when people try mocking midwest folks accents. I've seen on movies where that stereotype of accent for the midwest gets used, but i've never run into anyone that actually talks that way. Here and there when listening to talk radio a random caller from say Cudahy will talk like that, but it's rare. For Augustine though, he's got that "ya know der ay" accent down pat to where if he had auditioned for Fargo, he could have gotten a role on the spot.

So at least both guys bring some form of entertainment/laughter to Brewers Live broadcasts for me given their baseball insights are largely non-existent.

Then there is classic Telly who whether it's Brewers or Bucks after-game interviews, he manages to start about 90% of all questions with "how does it feel" or "how did you" in some fashion. I'd love to see how flustered Telly would get if he was banned from starting any question with the word how.

Archived