Brewer Fanatic

Fitness/Exercise/Diet/Health

southpaw121505
I started training for a half marathon last week, and I play soccer competitively pretty much year round. Last time I trained for a half marathon, I found myself feeling much slower on the soccer field, I'm guessing partially due to tired legs. Does anyone have any tips on exercises to help keep my speed up on the field, while still training for a half marathon?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ya I don't think anyone is trying to sway people one way or the other, I think it's a pretty good open conversation. Like I said before, I still eat meat, just trying to really cut down on it. I think my biggest reason is all the stuff that is pumped in to animals these days. You aren't just eating meat, you're eating hormones, bacteria, chemicals, etc. As mentioned before, even going from meat as the main part of the meal, to just a part of it, or ingredient in a bigger dish is a great start. Your body just doesn't process meat like it does plant based foods. I do encourage people to try doing meatless mondays. It really does help the enviorenment out and who knows, you might be like me and take it a little bit further and try not to eat meat a few more days a week.

That goes both ways though. You know how much stuff is in vegetables these days?

Going from meat as the main part of your meal to just a part of it is a personal choice that wont work for everyone, especially since a lot of people may include some processed unnatural addition in lieu of meat. Regardless, my body processes meat just fine. I think we need to get away from saying this diet is better for everyone beyond just general things like eat less processed foods and white flower.

I started training for a half marathon last week, and I play soccer competitively pretty much year round. Last time I trained for a half marathon, I found myself feeling much slower on the soccer field, I'm guessing partially due to tired legs. Does anyone have any tips on exercises to help keep my speed up on the field, while still training for a half marathon?

Vary your intensities when you run. Some high intensity or sprint training will help with speed and actually improve your lung capacity for distance running too. Just don't do any high intensity training the day before games. Long, low pace runs the days before games and high intensity days the day after games. Your legs will be sore trying to do both but that might help minimize that.

TheBruce - totally agree. Buying organic anything is prob a smart move. Some meats/veg tend to have a lot more of that going on than others, so it's good to know which ones are best to buy organic (it can be expensive).

And couldn't agree more on processed foods. That's not going to be good for anyone.

My only counter to the meat thing is that it really does seem, when you look at humans as just another animal in the world, that we weren't made to eat meat. We only adapted to that when we figured out how to use weapons. So I guess, I kind of believe that right now, but again, I don't want to come across like I think this life style is for everyone and that I'm judging people who don't. I'm totally not like that, I just find it to be a pretty compelling story right now, that makes sense for me, and I'm just kind of going with it because I like how I feel (eating less meat that is).

Anyone have any suggestions for a good starter bike to buy? I'm looking for something that I would use on the road or paths mainly but I'd like the ability to still go off road with it. Nothing crazy but I know I don't want a road bike.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good starter bike to buy? I'm looking for something that I would use on the road or paths mainly but I'd like the ability to still go off road with it. Nothing crazy but I know I don't want a road bike.

A hybrid goes both ways.

My sister wants to start working out. Right now she is about 40 lbs overweight. I offered to workout with her to help her get started. I workout 6 days a week for about an hour per day. Obviously she isn't ready for that yet. What would be a realistic place for her to start? I was thinking 3 days or so of cardio and maybe some light weights. What does everyone think?
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I loved the Couch to 5k running program/app. Was a great system for getting off my rear. I think it was three days a week. You can repeat weeks if you need to.

Around the time I did that I also bought a bike and started going for multiple rides a week. Started short and and gradually built distance.

I'd say that the biggest consideration is that she actually ENJOY what she's doing. If that's absent, long term commitment might be tough to establish.

Archived