Brewer Fanatic

What really bad movies do you secretly like?

Boy Jeenius
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Howard the Duck ? You actually want to be known as one of the 11 who saw that movie? I know who the other 9 were.

I think we need some guidelines. A lot of really bad movies were actually box office smashes. Do we want to include bad movies tha t didn't make a lot of money? or I was thinking you wanted to know what movies we love to watch, but are just afraid to admit that we watch them?

I thought that Citizen Cane by Orson Wells was a terrible movie. I had to watch it for a college English class. I would never secretly or publically watch that movie again. but we all know how great a movie it was.

Well I like Sleepless in Seattle and you've got mail and that movie with Cary grant and katheryn hepburn and jimmy Stewart. there., i've come out of the closet. I like romantic movies with happy endings.

I like ET too. and that one where the robot Johnny 5 alive comes to life.

as for a really bad movie, there was the original Batman movie with Adam West as Batman. . this is the movie that first introduced the batboat and the bathelicopter. Don't ask me how I know these things.

nobody mentioned the brady bunch movie? I guess even though it was a bad movie, nobody secretly liked it either.

Two more...Red Dawn and Cannonball Run.

I can't believe someone put Cannonball Run on the list. I am not as big a fan of I as I am of Cannonball Run 2. There is just something about Dean Martin saying that when he makes a dry martini he really makes a dry martini and proceeding to hand a woman an empty glass that gets me everytime.

I'd also like to add to the list all of the teen movies from the 1990's and Summer Catch as it introduced me to Jessica Biel.

And for other not so great movies, put me down for The Manhattan Project and My Science Project.

Baseketball

Black Sheep

Almost Heroes (and no, Tommy Boy isn't a bad movie)

I was always under the impression that these were already good movies! Guess not, love those, also, I love all of the mighty duck movies, and anything with Martin Lawrence in it. National Security was on late last nite so I stayed up and was late for work because of it.

Let's see...

Rocky Horror Picture Show--I love watching it with people who've never seen it before

Summer School--Mark Harmon and Kirstie Alley as teachers

Clash of the Titans--with a young Harry Hamlin and Burgess Meredith

By the way, Johnny 5 was in Short Circuit, with Ally Sheedy and Steve Guttenberg.

And I know there are other movies that I can't seem to avoid watching , even though they aren't very good.

Night of the Comet is absolutely my favorite movie of all time. I used to watch that movie religiously when I was a kid.

Other ones I could go with are.....

Purple Rain

Zoolander

Garbage Pail Kids (good call)

Licsense to Drive

Pee Wees Big Adventure

I haven't seen them in such a long time, but I enjoyed:

The Monster Squad (1987)

Midnight Madness (1980-ish)

Dumb and Dumberer (I thought it was brilliantly funny at times)

Spy Hard

UHF

The Golden Child

Blast from the Past

Looney Toons: Back in Action

The Man in the Iron Mask

Noises Off

The Man with One Red Shoe

any Buster Keaton movie, but especially "The Cameraman"

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I loved Dirty Work. You either love or hate Norm McDonald, and I think he's hilarious. When he did the news on SNL after the OJ Simpson verdict, I never laughed so hard when he opened the news with, "Well, it's official. Murder is legal in California."

And does anyone remember "Flight of the Navigator?" I think that movie and "The Three Amigos" were my favorite two movies to watch over and over again when I was a kid.

Gruber Lawffices

I was always under the impression that these were already good movies! Guess not, love those, also

I think they're good, but the plots aren't nearly as good as the plot of Tommy Boy IMO. But they made me laugh harder at times, like in Black Sheep when he fell down that hill, I almost laughed myself to death.

Another one of my favs is The Cable Guy with Jim Carrey and Matthew Broderick, not sure if that's considered a "good" or "bad" movie, but I like how it's shot and Carrey is hilarious.

It seems to me that this list has mutated into the "dumb comedies we love" list. Any movie that lands on one of the American Film Institute's 100 Greatest ... lists is technically not a bad movie. Like Airplane! And Buster Keaton movies.

See www.afi.com/Docs/tvevents...ghs100.pdf

That said, I'll repeat Hudson Hawk. And throw National Treasure out there. And most Godzilla movies. The quality of Hammer films was variable, but I have a lot of affection for most of their monster movies. And I'll toss Mars Attacks! on the list, which I think has aged better than Independence Day.

Robert

Yeah -- We seem to be all over the map with "bad movie" -- I don't think bad should mean, something that we personally don't like, or movies like Airplane, that are dumb -- but really a great movie.

I think the original poster is looking for movies that bombed beyound recognition -- I think of movies like Catwoman, Showgirls, Spice World, The Stupids, Speed2, etc...

I don't think Johnny Dangerously, National Treasure, Independence Day are what the original poster is looking for -- at least that is my interpretation.

Maybe not what he was looking for, but National Treasure runs 42% at Rotten Tomatoes. Not an outright bomb, but certainly not well regarded either.

Fair enough -- It's hard to define I suppose. I certainly do not want to be in the camp that is defending National Treasure.

Gymkata- i thought i was the only one that has seen that movie. First saw it at like 3 in the morning when i was a kid and tried to stay up as late as i could. Still have no idea what the hell the movie was about.

Any Troma Film, Toxic Avenger, Terror Firmer etc.

The Kentucky Fried Movie and Amazon Women on the Moon, fav movies to this day.

My whole Steven Segal collection.

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes and the Sequel(debut of George Clooney) - The theme song is up there with RBI Baseball with songs that you cant get out of your head.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

What was that gymnastics movie with Mitch Gaylord and Janet Jones (meow!)? That was truly awful, yet watching Janet Gretzky (nee Jones) in a one piece always gets my attention.

Edit: American Anthem.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote:
The theme song is up there with RBI Baseball with songs that you cant get out of your head.

Thanks alot. Now that's stuck in my head. Oh, well.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Might not fall into the strict definition of "bad", but I doubt I could defend it as an actual good movie with a straight face when talking about things like dialogue, characterization, plotting, and acting.

I'm of course referring to the awesomeness that is COMMANDO.

Robert

Beat me Robert. I havent checked the site in a week. Come on, read through this thread thinking the whole time about Commando, and get to the last post...

My friends and I tried to make it into a drinking game where you drink for every kill/bad line. The end was pretty brutial. I think over 100 people die.

Also, Arnolds line when he kills Bennet is his best one liner of all time in my opinion.

Archived