Brewer Fanatic

Red Sox and Francona "Part Ways"

DatHoser

Because Epstein's the smartest man in the world, so he couldn't possibly do anything wrong.

Over-reaction is common in sports, and the same manager will be seen as wonderful when the team wins and terrible when the team loses. Heck, Roenicke is in line to get Manager of the Year, because somehow he was responsible for his pitching staff remaining relatively injury-free and throwing a 2-something ERA in the second half of the year.

Francona probably doesn't deserve to be fired, but the fans want a head on the chopping block, and ultimately the fans pay the bills. If the Sawx were to miss the playoffs next year, even uber-mind Epstein should probably start worrying about his job.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Any chance this means the team goes in a different direction with some of its aging stars this off-season? Ortiz is a FA and he wants a long-term deal. I wonder if they could open up the bank for Prince after a horrible end to a season like they had. We all know Prince really isnt a 1B. That would be one way to get the fan base excited again. Prince, Pedroia, Gonzalez, Ellsbury

After how they got burned the last couple signings with Lackey and Crawford I doubt they would do it, but I would be all for it since that would me a 1st rounder and a sandwich pick.

The comment from Epstein strikes me as a warning shot to Sawx nation that there will be some "minor" changes. I wonder if they threw enough money at him, would Prince move to DH? He's said no all along, but with Boras nothing is out of the question.

Talk of Epstein going to Chicago has been going on since it was official they would need a new GM. That's not new talk.

Also, supposedly Francona pushed for a decision sooner, rather than later, and he's not officially gone, with the club not picking up his option.

It sounds like a team of stars lacked some serious leadership;

http://bostonherald.com/s...iew.bg?articleid=1369880

It'd be hard to just let Ortiz go. While Pedroia or Ellsbury is on the rise, I still would consider Ortiz to be the face of the franchise. I don't think Prince would end up in Boston, but I guess anything is possible.

The problem there though is to bring Ortiz back, that puts Youkilis at third again next year where i really question if he suited for that anymore. He's much better suited for playing firstbase and i read somewhere that he also would prefer moving back to first.

As for Epstein, i could easily see him bolting to Chicago. With Boston spending money near like the Yankees, missing the playoffs is viewed as absolutely unacceptable. He has wasted a ton of cash over the years on the likes of Renteria, Lugo, Dice-K, Lackey, Drew, and Crawford for at least this last season, but if the Cubs would hire Theo, he'd walk into a less pressurized situation and if he won there the fans would treat him with hero worship after the Hendry years of mostly failure.

There is a 24% chance that Youk ends up in LF next year (with Crawford manning RF) JD Drew is a FA after this season. No way Youk moves to 1B and they DH Gonzalez, one of the premier defensive 1B in the game.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

A manager's job boils down to just a couple of things, and one of them is to actually manage the players, and that isn't restricted to the field. Francona said that he wasn't as effective with some guys this year as he had been in the past. As is being discussed on another site, most managers have expiration dates with a team, and an epic collapse is good enough reason to make a change. Not just missing the playoffs (they missed the playoffs last year too), but missing it in such spectacular fashion.

Francona can clearly be an effective manager in the right situation (my first knowledge of him was when he was managing Michael Jordan down in the minors, and Jordan raved about him), but he hasn't won a playoff game in the last 3 years. That's not the kind of return one expects when spending the resources the Red Sox are.

There is a 24% chance that Youk ends up in LF next year (with Crawford manning RF) JD Drew is a FA after this season. No way Youk moves to 1B and they DH Gonzalez, one of the premier defensive 1B in the game.
Youk being the DH is probably more likely than anything else. There are some decent 3B options out there for next year that the Red Sox could go after like Ramirez. I think the Red Sox will try to get a trade done for an OF or put Lars Anderson out there.

Archived