Brewer Fanatic

Playoff prediction thread

craigharmann

It may be tough to predict, based on the craziness of last night, but here's my shot:

Brewers beat D-Backs in 4

Phillies sweep the Cards in 3, Halladay has his second postseason no-no and Oswalt throws a one hitter.

Rangers beat Rays in 5

Tigers beat Yankees in 4

Brewers beat Phillies in 7

Rangers beat Tigers in 6

Rangers/Brewers World Series. My dream matchup. For this year, I want to see the Brewers win. I can't wait to see how the postseason unfolds!

Brewers beat D'Backs 3-1

Cards beat Phillies 3-2

Yankees beat Tigers 3-1

Rangers beat Rays 3-0

Brewers beat Cards 4-2 afterwards Tony L decides it was because the Crew was piping in high frequency noise only he and the Cards could hear.

Yankees beat Rangers 4-3

Brewers and Yankees play an epic 7 game series in which Bushville pulls out a amazing 9th inning win in game 7 in which Tony Plush gets Hart in on a suicide squeeze to win it all.

Community Moderator

I honestly think anything could happen. It's hard to predict, but here goes:

Brewers 3-1 over Arizona

Philly 3-0 over St. Louis

Rays 3-2 over Rangers

Yankees 3-2 over Tigers

Brewers 4-3 over Philly

Rays 4-2 over Yankees

Brewers 4-2 over Rays

Kennedy worries me in Game 1. Then guy has been just about unbeatable and if you don't win game 1 then you need to win 3 out of the next 4(2 of them on the road).

I also am worried about Kennedy and the pitching match-ups in general with Grienke likely not going until Tuesday. Arizona just is not a great match for us. If we can get through AZ, I actually think we could give Philly a run for its money.

I hate to be the pessimist, but here are my playoff predictions:

Arizona 3, Milwaukee 2 on the back of two Kennedy wins in game 1 and 5.
Philly 3, St. Louis 2. Cards take Phillies to the limit.

Detroit 3, NYY 2. Verlander wins two classic games for Tigers over CC, as Yankee's other pitching falters.
Texas 3, TB 1. Texas' experience comes through.

Philly 4, Arizona 1. Kennedy and the Snakes run out of magic.
Detroit 4, Texas 3. Verlander comes through again.

Philly 4, Detroit 2. Philly's pitching reigns supreme

Kennedy worries me in Game 1. Then guy has been just about unbeatable and if you don't win game 1 then you need to win 3 out of the next 4(2 of them on the road).

I agree... but if we get Kennedy twice, they are both at home. If we play two games of Gallardo/Kennedy, both in Miller Park, I'm confident we get one.

Brewers over D'Backs 3-2

Phillies over Cardinals 3-1

Tigers over Yanks 3-2

Rays over Rangers 3-1

Brewers over Phillies 4-2

Rays over Yankees 4-3

Brewers over Rays 4-2

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Cardinals over Phillies in 5 games. Phillies lose game 4 in extra innings, Cardinals score two off Madson in the 9th inning to win game 5 by a run.

Brewers over D'Backs in 5 games. Home team wins each game of the series. Gallardo and Kennedy go seven, shutting each other out in the opener. Kennedy gets hit hard in first 4 innings in game five.

Tigers over Yankees in 5 games. Verlander wins twice in Yankee Stadium.

Rangers over Rays in 5 games. Rangers and Rays play an epic series with 4 games with 2-1 final scores. (Game 2 is the exception with the Rangers pounding the Rays 11-3.)

Brewers over Cardinals in 7 games. Prince Fielder is intentionally walked a post-season record 13 times in the series but LaRussa pays for it as Rickie Weeks hits a HR after 3 of them and drives in 10 runs in the series. Tony Plush and Pujols go at it in game 3 forcing both players out via suspension for game 4. Cards bats disappear in games 6 & 7 but Lance Berkman homers in the 9th to force game 7. Braun does it again with an 8th inning long ball to open up a 3-1 lead in the finale, which Axford saves.

Rangers over Tigers in 7 games. A slugfest every game, with the Rangers winning their 4 games with an average of 7 runs per game. Detroit wins their three with 9 runs per game.

Brewers over Rangers in 7 games. Doug Melvin squeals with glee as the Rangers and Brewers match up in the Fall Classic. Greinke is filthy in game 1. Gallardo is strong in a game two nailbiter but TEX wins. Rangers pitcher Colby Lewis gives up 4 homers to the Crew in first 3 innings as MKE takes the series lead. Rangers even it up as Nelson Cruz hits one out late in the game four contest. Extra innings in game 5 with Texas winning on a walk-off single by Kinsler. The Crew rough up the Rangers pitching staff in game 6 to the tune of 13-5. Craig Counsell is hit by a Feliz pitch in the 9th inning of a tie game, moves to 2nd on a Plush bunt, and scores the winning run on a Fielder opposite field bloop just fair down the left field line.

Milwaukee is burned to the ground by all the celebratory rioting but is rebuilt in 3 days by Ryan Braun.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Milwaukee is burned to the ground by all the celebratory rioting but is rebuilt in 3 days by Ryan Braun.

Awesome. Signature worthy.

Brewers over Dbacks 3-0
Phillies over Cardinals 3-2

Yankees over Tigers 3-2
Rays over Rangers 3-1

Brewers over Phillies 4-3
Yankees over Rays 4-3

Brewers over Yankees 4-2 with everyone outside of NY rooting on the Crew. If I was a betting man, my money would be on the Phillies. But I'm not, and for no good reason I just feel like something magical is going to happen this month.
I am not Shea Vucinich

Division Series Facts and Figures (Since the changed to seeded home field advantage in 1998)

Home Field Advantage: The team with home field advantage has a record of 27-25 in these series. (13-13 in the NL, 14-12 in the AL).

Wildcard: The AL Wildcard winner is 8-5 in these series, with 3 of those 8 moving on to the WS. The NL Wildcard winner is 7-6, with 5 of those 7 moving on to the WS.

Game 1 Winner: The Game 1 Winner in the NLDS has won 23 series and lost only 3. ALDS: 15-11.

Series length: There have been 11 sweeps in the NLDS, 11 4-game series and 4 5-gamers. There have been 10 sweeps in the ALDS, 8 4-gamers and 8 5-gamers.

Game 5: There have been only 4 Game 5s in the NLDS. The road team has won 3 of those 4. There have been 8 Game 5's in the ALDS with 5 road winners. There has not been a Game 5 in the NL since 2004. Six of the 8 AL Game 5s occurred from 1999-2003.

LCS Length Distribution (League: 4-game, 5-, 6-, 7): AL: 1, 4, 4, 4 NL: 1, 5, 4, 3

===============

Based on this data, and looking at the teams involved this season, I have no idea what is going to happen.

Heart is with Tigers and Rays in the AL. Really don't care about the other NL series.

Go Brewers.

Kennedy is good, but he's also stocked up wins on the dismal offenses of the NL West. The thing I mainly worry about is Gallardo, Greinke, Marcum, and even Wolf to a degree give up HR's, and Arizona is by far a HR hitting team. They remind me of the 2007 Brewers. Gallardo in particular gives up a lot of early HR's and that could hurt the Brewers psychi if they let it.

FWIW, most of the baseball people on ESPN.com picked the Brewers to win the NLDS and a few picked the Brewers to win the whole damn thing. Just fun to look at sometimes.

EDIT: Wait...I should check Steve Berthiaume's picks, since he had the Astros winning the division and the Phillies not making the playoffs...phew, he didn't pick anything.

DBacks in 5

Cards in 5

Yanks in 4

Rangers in 3

Cards in 5

Yanks in 5

Yanks in 5

Maybe I'm just imagining the worst possible outcome, but 29 years in the desert will do that to someone.

The Brewers and DBacks look dead even to me...except for defense. I can't help but think one bad defensive play will blow a game and the series.

DBacks in 5

Cards in 5

Yanks in 4

Rangers in 3

Cards in 5

Yanks in 5

Yanks in 5

Maybe I'm just imagining the worst possible outcome, but 29 years in the desert will do that to someone.

The Brewers and DBacks look dead even to me...except for defense. I can't help but think one bad defensive play will blow a game and the series.

Way to bring back memories of Mike Cameron. The Cameron play and Brett freakin Myers at the plate single handedly ruined that series for me. Well that and Jeff Suppan.

For my predictions; I am scared that virtually everyone is picking MIL in the NLDS. I see two pretty evenly matched teams. That being said; if we win Game #1 I think it is pretty much over. I think a sweep would be a very distinct possibility if we win Game #1. Marcum vs. Hudson, Grienke vs Saunders, Wolf vs Collmenter. No way we don't win two of those 3. Reverse backflip double jinx. I think MIL will go to 6 games with PHI but PHI just has to much pitching and they go on to win the WS.

Archived