Brewer Fanatic

Reyes 1-1 in Batting Title Race -- What does Braun need to do?

Samurai Bucky

I guess Reyes went 1-1 and they pulled him. That puts him at 181 for 537 or .337057. What does Braun have to do? Either go 3-4 or 3-5.

If Braun goes 3-3, he ends up at 190 for 562 or .338078. If he goes 3-4, that puts him at 190 for 563 or .337477. So, he needs to go 3-3 or 3-4. If they walk him, tomatoes should be thrown at the Pirates... Just kidding.

TH is reporting that Reyes pulled himself out of the game after the hit. Bush league if you ask me. Braun needs to go at least 3-4 to win the batting title. That's okay, I'm sure him and Braun will talk about it next year while sitting in the dugout together at Miller Park.

And if there is any player today that I believe could rise to the occasion to do this, it's Braun.

TH is reporting that Reyes pulled himself out of the game after the hit. Bush league if you ask me.
Completely agree. Especially since this was in the 1st inning of the game. Way to put your personal goals ahead of the team's success. His team didn't even have the lead at that time and now their best player takes himself out of the game so he can brag about a batting title. Remeber when Ted William refused to sit out the last day even though doing so would have ensured he hit .400. Lets hope Braun gets his hits tonight and makes Reyes look even more foolish.

Hate to say it, but if there was nothing on the line and it meant a Brewer getting a batting title or not, I would have wanted the same.
Hmmmm... I feel that i'd be pretty disappointed in Braun, as a player and as a man, if he were in Reyes position and did what Reyes did.

With that said, i'm sure Braun cares more about the MVP than the batting title. It will not matter at all, in my opinion, if Braun is only a point off of Reyes when it comes time to vote.. i think he's got it either way.. but I think he's going to put one last show on for us tonight, whatever that amounts to.

TH is reporting that Reyes pulled himself out of the game after the hit. Bush league if you ask me.
You think it's bush league to put a basically meaningless individual achievement ahead of your team winning? 78% of the people in this poll agree:

The other 22% are Mets fans. He can always tell his children that in 2011, he had the most hits per plate appearances that didn't end in a BB, HBP, SH, SF or CI!

if the Mets had lost this would be a much bigger story.

so Braun needs a 3-4.

if Reyes took another at-bat and got a hit, only 4-4 would have done it for Braun.

if Reyes went 1-2, then 2-2 would have gotten Braun the title also, but not 2-3.

Reyes @ 1-3 would succumb to a Braun 2-3.

Reyes @ 2-3 only gets trumped by a 3-3 or 4-4.

splitting hairs here, but I align myself with the Reyes = Punk camp

Oh well. Hope Jose can enjoy the batting title and being known as the guy that had to pull a complete punk move to get it. Good luck using the batting title to try to distract everyone from the whole "Ouch, my leg hurts" issue during contract talks. Heaven help the poor soul that gives him a Zito contract for 120 games a year.

Just means Braun has some extra room for an NLDS, NLCS, and World Series MVP trophies to match the one for the National League http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hate to say it, but if there was nothing on the line and it meant a Brewer getting a batting title or not, I would have wanted the same.
Hmmmm... I feel that i'd be pretty disappointed in Braun, as a player and as a man, if he were in Reyes position and did what Reyes did.

With that said, i'm sure Braun cares more about the MVP than the batting title. It will not matter at all, in my opinion, if Braun is only a point off of Reyes when it comes time to vote.. i think he's got it either way.. but I think he's going to put one last show on for us tonight, whatever that amounts to.

Yeah, it definitely makes him look bad now, but years down the road no one's going to remember this. He'll go in the records for the 2011 NL batting title, that's all people are going to see.

I don't agree that it makes him look bad. Like Braun basically said, it is what it is, & Reyes bunted for lots of hits this season. Reyes won, fair & square. If Braun had done the same thing I wouldn't have cared at all.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm just hoping Reyes doesn't visit Brewerfan.net as he is a guy I might like to see the Brewers pursue in the offseason...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I don't agree that it makes him look bad. Like Braun basically said, it is what it is, & Reyes bunted for lots of hits this season. Reyes won, fair & square. If Braun had done the same thing I wouldn't have cared at all.
Reyes attempted 10 bunts (6 successful) this year so he really hasn't bunted for a lot of hits. The only thing that bothers me about Reyes is that he took himself out of the game. Either play the entire game or sit it out.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Archived