Brewer Fanatic

Ozzie Guillen traded to the Marlins?

endaround

I don't even know what that means....

Anyway, Guillen was pouting that the White Sox wouldn't give him an extension past 2012 and so was going to walk out after this season. So the Sox have decided to trade him to the Marlins in exchange for two minor league players. And he's going to manage the Marlins, maybe, I guess.

Lou Piniella was traded for Randy Winn. (SEA-TB).

And during the Charlie Finley selloff of Oakland A's players, they traded Manager Chuck Tanner to the Pirates for Manny Sanguillen.

I can't see how a loose cannon like Ozzie is going to survive under the control of that Marlins front office. That already looks like trouble.

Community Moderator

As a South Florida resident I am quite thrilled with this move. This will be excellent for the franchise, since he's not going to put up with any garbage from the ownership.

I can see why they went for this move though. The Marlins are moving from the suburbs to Little Havana, and they are changing their target audience to focus on the Spanish-speaking majority. They have some money to spend and they need to make a splash.

Ultimately, we all know how this is going to end, but it will be a fun ride to see how long Loria can tolerate him.

Guillen has been given the option to not manage the White Sox in 2012, but the White Sox control his rights. If another team, the Marlins want him to manage in 2012, they need to give up something.

The White Sox wouldn't gain anything from just firing Guillen, as they would still be obligated to pay him.

In the case of trades involving managers, all parties have to agree. Doug Melvin couldn't simply offer up Roenicke to net himself a shortstop.

Adding to what kramnoj said, recent trades involving managers have had to do with a manager wanting to change teams while still under contract. His current team could choose to simply release him, but if they can get some kind of compensation, what the heck. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Two more trades involving managers:

Joe Cronin, player-manager of the Senators was traded to the Red Sox prior to the 1935 season. He assumed the managerial duties in Boston while continuing as a player. This would have simply been a trade of a player who happened to also be manager.

During the 1960 season, Frank Lane, GM of the Indians, traded managers with the Tigers. Indians manager Joe Gordon was traded to Detroit for their manager, Jimmy Dykes. (Lane later became the Brewers' GM.)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

chadomac wrote:

I don't really understand why a manager would ever get traded. Why didn't the White Sox just fire Guillen? I'm surprised anyone wants him.

Why fire him when you can trade him for a couple of prospects (what they expect in return)? Sure the prospects probably won't be good and they'll likely never be key contributors, but why not see? If they aren't contributors to the team, fine. If they are, you just got a decent player or two for a whiny manager.

never understood giving up actual players for a manager. i understand they were minor leaguers and i haven't seen their names yet but i doubt they are top prospects. that being said this seems like more a ploy to get people excited for the new stadium instead of a baseball move. they should have never got rid of fredi gonzalez if they wanted a mexican manager.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Guillen may regret this move. He's as much about getting attention for himself as he is about managing a team. The disinterested Florida fans probably won't give a rats behind about his antics like Sox fans did.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

they should have never got rid of fredi gonzalez if they wanted a mexican manager.
Ouch. Guillen is actually from Venezuela, and Gonzalez is from Cuba.
WOW.

While the original post here is very poorly worded, there probably is something to the idea that nationality played a factor here given the demographics of the Miami area. That, in addition to Guillen being a well-known manager who has won a World Series, and it seems more like a PR move than anything to maximize interest for the team heading into the new stadium.

i'll admit that my post was poorly worded and factually incorrect. that being said the marlins are giving their #5 prospect away for a manager. Managers are hired to be fired. Rare is the Bobby Cox managerial run these days. You are looking at a player that could play short for you for 6 years. In addition you are doubling Ozzies contract. The Rays would probably admit that trading Wynn for Pinella was a mistake. For the Packers it worked out fine because they won a championship.

The larger point is that the Marlins are not really that close to contending. They have nice players. They have a nice core group of players and will be greatly helped by getting Johnson back next year. its tough to make a call though that they are ready to take on the phils for a nl east title next season.

I think getting Guillen is a good PR move, but baseball wise doesn't makes sense.

According to Cot's, the Marlin's payroll is at $57,695,000. This article suggests that the Marlin's payroll will be $80M next year. So they can supplement their young stars with a good player or two (likely pitchers). Ozzie may be just the manager that H Ramierez needs to keep him in check and playing good ball. I'm not saying they'll run away or even win a division, but they could have a good core team to build off of next year.

Maybe we could trade RR back to the Halos. I know a lefty "muscle" guy that can play third and provide some pop that they have. I think BF.net would have to be shut down if that trade is made.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

“You know what I saw a couple days ago?’’ he said. “I saw a 62-foot

boat. That’s what I want, and that’s what I’m going to get. People have

to pay me for that. White Sox? I don’t know. Marlins? I don’t know. But

somebody will pay. I want to buy my [bleeping] boat. That’s my

inspiration. My inspiration is money. That’s everybody’s inspiration.’’

I love Ozzie.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

the last 3 full time marlin managers were fredi gonzalez, edwin rodriguez and ozzie guillen. if one doesn't think there is atleast something to it in selling extra tickets, you are kidding yourself. i never intended to make a racist comment.

mlbtrade rumors posts a nice article on trading managers and getting the return, and makes my point better than me

Given the nature of a manager's contributions, it is hard to see any team swapping players for a manager and coming out ahead. Let's take a closer look at how this value measures up to the other manager-based swaps at the time they occured.

http://www.mlbtraderumors...trading-the-manager.html

Or had a sense of cultural awareness.

That's exactly what makes me wonder if Guillen is really such a coup for Miami. Is a Venezuelan really going to make the Cuban fans fall in love with the team? Cubans in America seem to like other Cubans, but aren't very fond of leftists (which is why they fled Cuba). Guillen is from a country that's currently pretty leftist and friendly with the Castro clan.

Archived