Brewer Fanatic

Playoff TV Discussion

pebadger

I think the current slotted start times of those games are something like 5pm and 8:30pm.

Except if you look at TBS schedule for PT, they have noon and 3:30 listed.

http://www.tbs.com/schedu...ate=10/2/2011&timeZone=4

I'm guessing you are going to see Wisconsin fans get screwed and the Brewers will get the 5:00 start

I would think baseball fans that are actually going to the game and, even those watching on TV in WI, would prefer that time to 8:30 PM on Sunday night. Those who think the packers are more important, can sell their tickets to people like me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The 8:30 PM time is also only the time the broadcast would start, the actual first pitch would be more like 8:50. It would be rather ridiculous to have a game scheduled such that it might end midnight-1 am.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 8:30 PM time is also only the time the broadcast would start, the actual first pitch would be more like 8:50. It would be rather ridiculous to have a game scheduled such that it might end midnight-1 am.

Think about what time that game would end in Philly with a 9:50 start. I'm sure they will not allow that to happen and may bump up the currently scheduled start times on Sunday.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The general public might not fully understand just what a TV monster the NFL, and even the primetime college football game, is. The execs at Turner and MLB know exactly what they are up against in terms of the battle for eyeballs. A whole lot of people will be watching UW/Nebraska on Saturday night. In SEC-land, everyone will be watching Florida/Alabama that same night. And then you have Notre Dame playing Saturday night as well. This doesn't even get into the stuff on Sunday.

They have two real options: 1) disregard the conflicts (and likely be beaten in the ratings even in the home markets of some playoff teams), or 2) accomodate the TV audiences the best they can to the inconvenience of the 50,000 or so folks who actually go to the games.

Drew Olson just tweeted he has sources that are now saying Brewers in Game 1 at 12:30, Game 2 is at 4:00

Nick Piecoro (beat writer for the D-Backs) just tweeted that he received the same information as Drew.....

All good. MLB will do what they want, but they're smarter if they take local/regional events into consideration. I know I'll be watching regardless of the game time, but there are a lot of potential eyeballs who will flat-out pick the Badgers or Packers over the Brewers, even in a playoff game. They just don't like baseball that much.

That kind of thing doesn't matter to us, but for most of us, the game could be played at 3am and we'd make time to watch. But we're not the ones who make the ratings for these games good.

Again though, it's a national "issue"...they're looking at the big picture and what works out best with where are all four games are scheduled. I'd bet they're not losing much sleep overa couple million wisconsin viewers.

James

Well if that's 12:30 CST that falls inline with what my thinking was with bumping the first games back (ahead an hour, what have you). But 11:30 CST doesn't accomplish much.

That is if I'm understanding TBS' original schedule correctly with GAMES beginning at 11, 2:30, 6, and 9:30 CST.

James

All good. MLB will do what they want, but they're smarter if they take local/regional events into consideration. I know I'll be watching regardless of the game time, but there are a lot of potential eyeballs who will flat-out pick the Badgers or Packers over the Brewers, even in a playoff game. They just don't like baseball that much.

That kind of thing doesn't matter to us, but for most of us, the game could be played at 3am and we'd make time to watch. But we're not the ones who make the ratings for these games good.

Again though, it's a national "issue"...they're looking at the big picture and what works out best with where are all four games are scheduled. I'd bet they're not losing much sleep overa couple million wisconsin viewers.

James

I would think the national audience would choose 2 top 8 football teams in Nebraska's Big 10 debut over Brewers/DBacks as well, since the national media doesn't really care much for these teams. So I would think yes, they are taking the football game into account.

On a side note, I don't care if you keep doing it or not but signing your name at the bottom of every post reminds me of old people who sign their names at the end of texts/emails.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

On a side note, I don't care if you keep doing it or not but signing your name at the bottom of every post reminds me of old people who sign their names at the end of texts/emails.

Not to sidetrack this thread too much, but I guess I'm old since I almost always sign my emails (most people that send me emails do the same). Possibly the only time I don't is if I'm involved in a string of emails with the same person.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Not to sidetrack this thread too much, but I guess I'm old since I almost always sign my emails (most people that send me emails do the same). Possibly the only time I don't is if I'm involved in a string of emails with the same person.

I usually do if it's for professional reasons but not casual. I'm talking between friends or family and yeah, usually going back and forth. So when you get multiple one sentence emails with the name signed at the bottom. I was just reminded of it cuz I saw like 5 or 6 signed James recently, including two back-to-back within 6 minutes of each other. Sorry, just an internet pet peeve of mine. Not that I matter or anything.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I would think the national audience would choose 2 top 8 football teams in Nebraska's Big 10 debut over Brewers/DBacks as well, since the national media doesn't really care much for these teams

Frankly, I doubt that many people outside of the Madison and Lincoln areas (both in flyover country) care much about this game. Neither of these teams has a very good chance at winning a championship, and after Saturday one will have virtually zero chance. It's not like #1 is squaring off against #2 or Notre Dame and USC are both highly ranked and squaring off. Scheduling on the Brewers/Arizona series will be based on their marquee status, which is pretty low. It follows that they will get the timeslots where viewership is generally low while the Yankees and Cardinals/Philly series both get top billing. My guess is that the elimination of the Red Sox threw a wrench into things for the programming honchos.

I would think the national audience would choose 2 top 8 football teams in Nebraska's Big 10 debut over Brewers/DBacks as well, since the national media doesn't really care much for these teams

Frankly, I doubt that many people outside of the Madison and Lincoln areas (both in flyover country) care much about this game. Neither of these teams has a very good chance at winning a championship, and after Saturday one will have virtually zero chance. It's not like #1 is squaring off against #2 or Notre Dame and USC are both highly ranked and squaring off. Scheduling on the Brewers/Arizona series will be based on their marquee status, which is pretty low. It follows that they will get the timeslots where viewership is generally low while the Yankees and Cardinals/Philly series both get top billing. My guess is that the elimination of the Red Sox threw a wrench into things for the programming honchos.

I was more talking about having to choose between the football game and baseball game if they were both at the same time. Since football is generally a more popular sport than baseball and the Brewers/DBacks aren't national darlings, I think most would choose the football game. Personally, I would obviously choose the baseball game. I think if they weren't taking that game into consideration, times would've been announced already. TBS already came out and said they were trying not to conflict with it.

While some of your premise is correct the idea that neither team has a good chance at winning a national title is wrong. If Wisconsin wins this game they will be favorites in every game for the rest of the year. It would be hard for an undefeated Big 10 team to not be in the National Title.

Back to the topic at hand, I cant believe they dont know this yet. I have family coming to visit this weekend and I already told them we had to plan around the Badger game and now I am telling them another part of Saturday too.

Ha, I win http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Time to unload your tickets, Packer fans.

I'm going to hold out buying tickets for the game on Sunday until sometime Saturday, there are overs 4,000 tickets available right now on stubhub and that is a lot of tickets to sell in three days.

Tweet from Tyler Barnes: Brewers NLDS Game 1 game set for 1:07 pm Saturday.

Haudricourt tweeted that Game 2 will be 3:30 PM Sunday.

They avoided a conflict with the Badger game, but will smack head-on with the Packers.

Well if that's 12:30 CST that falls inline with what my thinking was with bumping the first games back (ahead an hour, what have you). But 11:30 CST doesn't accomplish much.

That is if I'm understanding TBS' original schedule correctly with GAMES beginning at 11, 2:30, 6, and 9:30 CST.

James

First. The names an "auto fill" I don't type it in, so rest easy.

Correct, it's a NATIONAL deal, so they view things from a whoesale standpoint ans not necessarily what's going to hurt a relatively small minority.

Example: they would very well run the Brewer game concurrently with the Badger game if they deemed the ratings to be higher gunning game "C" at the alternate spot even if NOTHING is otherwise going on in that market. All I'm saying is that I can assure you they care much less about the Badger game in Madison and more about the alternate time slots with repsect to their markest infintely more.

It will be no coincidence that Mil and Ari will get the poorest time slot, no matter what's going on in the region. And even MORE importantly there WILL be a game going on at that time no matter what, so that basic reality is unavoidable. And again, if the powers that be determine that what's lost for the Brewer game to the Badgers doesn't exceed the overall benefit to having that game there and the three elsewhere, that's what they will do. Yes, they will happily forgo the "winnings" of our tiny market for what they'll reap elsewhere.

But that's clearly not the case here (a local competition), as the BEST scenario for TBS/MLB is: Brewers first, TB/NYY 2nd and 3rd, and Philly last.

Wisconsin will be the first game....for a million dollars. Ditto for the 2, 3 and 4.

James

^ Until it's announced otherwise, a reasonable expectation would be (2) games at 5 CST and (2) at 8. But, seeing TBS is supposedly handling all 4 games, we'll see. EDIT: they've already squeezed things up Saturday by putting a game on TNT, so I'd fully expect them to do the same on Tuesday with a pair each on TNT and TBS.

BTW: I see they flip-flopped the NYY and Philly game, but that's fine as they're earlier now.

James

Archived