Brewer Fanatic

Playoff TV Discussion

pebadger
Are those times eastern or central? I would think the biggest TV markets will get the best times ratings wise. With the Brewers being the smallest market, their times will depend entirely on who they play. Games last 3 hours generally, they are going to allow 3 1/2 hours between games. You are assuming the Brewers will hold off AZ for home field.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have DirecTV but not in HD. However, the local channels are always in HD--I think that's required by law for all satellite/cable transmission. So, I'd rather the Brewers were on FOX that TBS because the FOX affiliate will be in HD. TBS for me is in SD. Not a big deal really, just wish it were the other way around.

Are those times eastern or central? I would think the biggest TV markets will get the best times ratings wise. With the Brewers being the smallest market, their times will depend entirely on who they play. Games last 3 hours generally, they are going to allow 3 1/2 hours between games. You are assuming the Brewers will hold off AZ for home field.

Those are central times. Listed right now on my guide on u-verse. For sunday it's 5 and 830. I'm assuming these aren't completely official though. Gotta figure they are close.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

However, the local channels are always in HD--I think that's required by law for all satellite/cable transmission.

Actually, digital transmission is required by law (except in the case of a small number of low power channels). HD isn't required. However, I'd guess that every major network affiliate in the country would be broadcasting in HD.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

However, the local channels are always in HD--I think that's required by law for all satellite/cable transmission.

Actually, digital transmission is required by law (except in the case of a small number of low power channels). HD isn't required. However, I'd guess that every major network affiliate in the country would be broadcasting in HD.

I know. What I meant is that cable and satellite companies carry only the digital transmission of local channels. They do not carry these channels in standard definition as they do with so-called cable networks if you don't have an HD package.

I don't know about satellite, but TWC carries SD versions of local broadcast stations on ch, 4, 6, etc. HD versions are on 1004, 1006. Any TV without a digital box gets only the SD versions.

I think that's right anyway, we have only one HDTV and I never tried running the cable directly to it without going to through the box.

UW v. Neb is big. This is bigger. That said, I hope they don't conflict. Go Boilers.
You and I know that this is bigger, but try convincing the Madison media of that. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif ESPN Gameday is coming to Madison Saturday, so if the Brewers play at MP on October 1, some southern Wisconsin sports fans might asplode. Not that the Turner networks would care about that.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Regardless of where we play, I hope the two won't conflict. If we're on the road, I can easily watch the two at the same time. If they're at home...being at the game and missing UW/NU would suck, but it would happen. Virtually no chance of making it home without finding out the score.

Not as concerned with the Packers, I don't want to miss it, but it's at home against Denver, not quite the same as Wisconsin and Nebraska. I guess we'll find out in a few days.

Considering conflicts/what TBS wants, I think we'll see these timeslots. Obviously, we'll know more tomorrow and on Wednesday:

Saturday:

There has to be an overlap on TNT; there is just no way around it.

12:30: Atlanta @ Milwaukee (TBS)

4:00: Tampa Bay @ Texas (TBS)

6:00: Arizona @ Philadelphia (TNT)

8:30: Detroit @ NY Yankees (TBS)

Sunday:

3:30: Atlanta @ Milwaukee (TBS)

7:00: Arizona @ Philadelphia (TBS) -- Eagles have a 12 pm game, Phillies must play at night.

Considering conflicts/what TBS wants, I think we'll see these timeslots. Obviously, we'll know more tomorrow and on Wednesday:

Saturday:

There has to be an overlap on TNT; there is just no way around it.

12:30: Atlanta @ Milwaukee (TBS)

4:00: Tampa Bay @ Texas (TBS)

6:00: Arizona @ Philadelphia (TNT)

8:30: Detroit @ NY Yankees (TBS)

Sunday:

3:30: Atlanta @ Milwaukee (TBS)

7:00: Arizona @ Philadelphia (TBS) -- Eagles have a 12 pm game, Phillies must play at night.

This would be perfect, I also think a Brewers win would energize the Wisconsin crowd a little more, if that is even possible for a night game

UW v. Neb is big. This is bigger. That said, I hope they don't conflict. Go Boilers.
You and I know that this is bigger, but try convincing the Madison media of that. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif ESPN Gameday is coming to Madison Saturday, so if the Brewers play at MP on October 1, some southern Wisconsin sports fans might asplode. Not that the Turner networks would care about that.
I don't know that I would say 1 game of a best of 5 series is bigger than the WI vs. NEB game. One loss in college football, for any non SEC team is like a playoff and ends any hope of a championship run/undefeated season. I know given the choice of attending either game I'd pick the WI vs. Neb game over the 1 baseball game and I am a pretty big Brewer fan so I can only imagine how much more skewed the Madison market as a whole is toward the Badger game.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/130635818.html

Thought this belonged here. BA is the lead announcer for TBS for the playoffs with Smoltz and Darling. The rest of the teams are listed in there. Please not Stockton and Brenly for any Brewers games!

I highly doubt that MLB and the networks are going to schedule around the Badgers and the Packers. If the series is Brewers/Braves or Brewers/D'Backs it would definitely be one of the lesser games on the 'marquee' scale. My guess is that they would definitely get the 12:30 game on Saturday with all the East coast teams in the mix unless they end up playing the Phillies. If I had to bet on it, I'd say they get both early games barring a Philly matchup.

Yeah, I have seen a couple MLB writers say that the Brewers will get earlier games on both days just because they won't be the marquee matchups. That would solve the Saturday problem, but not sure what the start time of the first game on Sunday will be.

Thought this belonged here. BA is the lead announcer for TBS for the playoffs with Smoltz and Darling. The rest of the teams are listed in there. Please not Stockton and Brenly for any Brewers games!

Congratulations, Brian Anderson! Richly deserved!

Honestly, I thought he'd keep getting passed over for national personalities or name-recognition guys like Chip Caray. Definitlely congrats to BA, but with each bit of national recognition, I fear we get closer to losing him.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree it's a nice honor for BA. From previous playoff series, I've really enjoyed Ron Darling. He's got the combination of good experience from which to draw and an intelligent manner of speaking (Yale!). I'm sure it will be an adjustment for BA after all those years with Rock.

Congratulations, Brian Anderson! Richly deserved!

Honestly, I thought he'd keep getting passed over for national personalities or name-recognition guys like Chip Caray. Definitlely congrats to BA, but with each bit of national recognition, I fear we get closer to losing him.

Yep, much congrats, but I agree. I'm getting afraid of losing him. It would be a shame.

Archived