Brewer Fanatic

Playoff TV Discussion

pebadger

Anybody seen anything on broadcast booth assignments for the playoffs from TBS? I did a quick search, but didn't see anything. They probably won't be finalized until the match-ups are set. I know there are variety of opinions out there, but I'd be happy if BA got the Brewers series.

As a side question, anybody else think it stinks that all these games are on TBS? It's the way of the world now, and there are many worse places to have them, but for some folks the games being on TBS means they can't watch them at home.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What annoys me is the clumsy situation that occurs when games overlap: part of the game on TNT and then moving to TBS. For the sake of those who DVR, I'd like to see each game start and end on the same channel.

Other than the total lack of cable, how is getting TBS a problem? I would think it would appear under just about any situation that ESPN does.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

What annoys me is the clumsy situation that occurs when games overlap: part of the game on TNT and then moving to TBS. For the sake of those who DVR, I'd like to see each game start and end on the same channel.

Other than the total lack of cable, how is getting TBS a problem? I would think it would appear under just about any situation that ESPN does.

Actually - for those who receive Time Warner cable, it's easier to get TBS than ESPN. My parents dropped down to basic cable (their lowest tier) and can receive TBS, along with the normal Milwaukee stations (NBC, FOX, etc), but no ESPN.

The network placement is a minor issue, but I do think it's kind of sad that unless you have cable/satellite you cannot watch a single NL playoff game at home. The only thing keeping the ALCS on over-the-air network TV is the fact that FOX will pay for it because they're comfortable with the bet that they will have the Yanks and/or Red Sox in the ALCS every season.

I love football, and the NFL is a perfect fit for TV. But it makes me kind of sad that baseball now has a worse playoff TV deal than even the NBA.

The network placement is a minor issue, but I do think it's kind of sad that unless you have cable/satellite you cannot watch a single NL playoff game at home. The only thing keeping the ALCS on over-the-air network TV is the fact that FOX will pay for it because they're comfortable with the bet that they will have the Yanks and/or Red Sox in the ALCS every season.

I love football, and the NFL is a perfect fit for TV. But it makes me kind of sad that baseball now has a worse playoff TV deal than even the NBA.

FOX and TBS switch off between the ALCS and NLCS each season. Last year all the AL playoff games were on cable.

But it makes me kind of sad that baseball now has a worse playoff TV deal than even the NBA.

No, it doesn't. ABC only showed NBA playoff games on Saturday/Sunday afternoons -- and none of the conference finals games. Fox will show the ALCS on several weeknights. At least under the new contract, none of the LCS games overlap, whereas a few years ago, you had to flip back and forth between Fox and FX.

I don't have cable. My fiance and I generally don't watch much TV, and I go to enough Brewers games that I'm okay not being able to watch them at home. It'd also be the only thing I'd wanna watch so financially, it doesn't make sense. It bums me out that the playoffs aren't available in homes without cable.

I don't mind going to a bar to see a few games, but that'll add up quick. Hopefully I can go to a friends house to watch. It's unfortunate that in the playoffs that the Wisconsin Market can't see them like you would a Packers game shown on NFL network or ESPN. That's something that should be changed with the contract.

Anyone old school enough to not have cable should be old school enough to be ok with having to listen to Uecker on the radio.

I'm more concerned about game times. Not excited about the possibility of Game 1 and/or 2 being in the late slot.

I heard Game 1 and 2 will both be early games to avoid viewership conflict with the UW/Nebraska and Packers games.

It's impossible for Game 2 to be an early game. There are only two games on Sunday, it's an off day for the AL, so the games are at 5 and 8:30 CT. If they are truly trying to avoid an NFL conflict the game would be at 8:30.

Anyone old school enough to not have cable should be old school enough to be ok with having to listen to Uecker on the radio.
Really? My partner and I don't want to pay $100 a month for some crappy television. I'm fine with listening to the games during the regular season, but they should be on regular tv during the playoffs. I'm 30 btw so I wouldn't consider myself "old school."
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Really? My partner and I don't want to pay $100 a month for some crappy television. I'm fine with listening to the games during the regular season, but they should be on regular tv during the playoffs. I'm 30 btw so I wouldn't consider myself "old school."

Not having cable isn't "old school" it's a financial decision that many families make. If we don't watch tv, why pay for it? As jjkoestler said, I'm completely okay with listening to games on the radio, but during the playoffs, many people, myself included, want to see them on tv. Also, if you're one of those "old school" people that doesn't have cable tv, but "new school" enough to use a computer AND internet, go to tvpc.com and you can watch TBS streaming for free.

Well, I think it would be easy to avoid conflicts anyway. Just throw the Brewers in the 830 game on Sunday, because the Phillies are eastern time zone and that's too late for them. Then on Saturday give them one of the 2 early games. I think both will happen.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

It's unfortunate that in the playoffs that the Wisconsin Market can't see them like you would a Packers game shown on NFL network or ESPN.
Those are only picked up in the Green Bay and Milwaukee areas because the Packers used to play in Milwaukee. If you dont have the NFL network in Madison you don't get to watch the Packer game at home.

I don't think MLB cares about the college football schedule. On Saturday they'll plug in the Yankees, Red Sox (if they survive), and Phillies into strategic slots. Brew Crew gets whatever is left over. I expect either the earliest or latest game on Saturday.

I remember in 2008 the baseball schedulers weren't concerned with football. I recall hearing the last drive by Ohio ST to beat the Badgers while we walked to our car...everyone was tailgating with the game on. Then during game 4 attention turned to the Packers after Suppan blew up. I remember getting annoyed with the guy in front of me for listening to the Packers game while watching the Brewers...by the time it became hopeless I was asking him for updates.

My focus will be all on the Brewers...but that Badgers game will be a big one too. I'd rather they dont interfere.

The game times for Saturday on my guide right now are listed as 11, 230, 6, and 930. Not sure how that'll work if there's at least 2 and possibly 3 games in the eastern time zone, and only one in the central. I would assume they were hoping one would be a pacific time zone game originally. Have to think these times will change. Maybe switch it to 11, 2, 5, and 8. So unless Texas takes home field, it would look to me that the Brewers would get the 8 pm game as the only central time zone game.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived