Brewer Fanatic

A non trade rumor/transaction thread

rousieboy

In light of the Brewers decision to not trade Prince and take the two draft picks...I think we could see a trend moving forward.

2011 draft two first round draft picks thanks to Covey not signing.

2012 draft two first round draft picks thanks to Prince walking.

2013 draft two first round draft picks thanks to Greinke walking. (I fully expect Marcum to re-sign, but not Zack Greinke)

2014 draft two first round draft picks thanks to Corey Hart becoming too expensive for what he brings and walking.

2015 draft two first round draft picks thanks to Gallardo going to the Yankees/Red Sox and not re-signing.

Yes, I really think they will try really hard to sign Greinke to a Sabathia type deal. Corey Hart could maybe be had for more years at 10mil per...or he could be thrown a Werth deal. Gallardo could be a lifer, but his stats under 30 will be nearly impossible to keep in MLW.

Thoughts?

My thoughts are: If all the expensive players like Greinke, Hart, Fielder, and Gallardo are going to leave, where are the Brewers going to spend all of their money? Surely they will sign someone other than Marcum. Also, I think you are forgetting a few players. K-Rod should be offered arby this season and he should net two more picks. And Randy Wolf may be a type A (though there are a lot of really good potential free agent pitchers that year) after the 2012 season. This is all assuming that the draft pick compensation stays the same with the new CBA. Quite honestly I'd rather eliminate it completely than to keep it the way it is now.

K-Rod should be offered arby this season and he should net two more picks.

Don't see any chance of that happening as K-Rod would make roughly 13 mil+ on a one year deal. Of course they could have a handshake agreement in place similar to Hoffman. I'm not sure what kind of contract he's expecting to sign in free agency but I'd guess somewhere around 3 years 24 mill? Would he rather have that or a big check next year with the opportunity to cash in in 2013?

I would sign Grienke before Marcum...simply due to health...However, I think both need to be signed as Wolf hits the road....

I am willing to go with young guys at 1b and 3b (Gamel and Green) in exchange of keeping those two starters. Braun, Weeks, and Hart need to be the offensive fire power for this team. I am not opposed to a Lyle Overbay type of signing on a 1year deal as well.

SS is a HUGE question mark....is Bentacourt a FA or in his last year with Arby years?

I would sign Grienke before Marcum...simply due to health...However, I think both need to be signed as Wolf hits the road....

I am willing to go with young guys at 1b and 3b (Gamel and Green) in exchange of keeping those two starters. Braun, Weeks, and Hart need to be the offensive fire power for this team. I am not opposed to a Lyle Overbay type of signing on a 1year deal as well.

SS is a HUGE question mark....is Bentacourt a FA or in his last year with Arby years?

Betancourt has a 2M buyout, or we have to pay him 6M next year. So, basically, we save 4M by not playing him, which can go to signing anyone, anyone at all who can play SS.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Don't see any chance of that happening as K-Rod would make roughly 13 mil+ on a one year deal

I can't envision any scenario in which K-Rod accepts arby. He knows if he re-signs with Milwaukee he will not be the closer. His value drops if he's not a closer. Plus, what if he has a bad year? A subpar year as an 8th inning guy isn't going to get him the same kind of contract he could get after this season. He's still young enough that someone will give him a 3 or 4 year deal.

I believe we made an agreement with K-Rod not to offer arby.
Unknown and I doubt they did. The only thing that is known is that the contract was reconstructed so K-Rod would hit free agency I doubt that includes a no arby offer.

Yeah I'd love to re-sign ZGreinke too, but I wanted Sabathia and it is going to break down like that as well...THAT would be three straight years of 2 #1s...that is a trend.

Haudircourt has already written about KRod being the 3rd best closer on the market next year and might take a one year deal if offered arby....JSOnline article said he didn't think Melvin was going to offer.

Haudircourt has already written about KRod being the 3rd best closer on

the market next year and might take a one year deal if offered

arby....JSOnline article said he didn't think Melvin was going to offer.

This makes no sense. Even if you do have to pay him a year with a $12 million salary, so what? Where else are you going to spend that money? Prince is gone which saves a bunch. Bentancourt SHOULD be gone which would save a bunch. And personally I'd love to see K-Rod in Milwaukee another year. The bullpen has been lights out since he's gotten here. And they may lose two other key relievers so they'd have to rebuild the bullpen anyway.

Haudircourt has already written about KRod being the 3rd best closer on the market next year and might take a one year deal if offered arby....JSOnline article said he didn't think Melvin was going to offer.

Haudricourt has it backwards. K-Rod will take a 1-year deal to be a CLOSER which is obviously not going to happen with the Brewers so he will reject the arbitration offer.

Won't we have 3 1st rd pick next year? Ours, the team that Prince signs with and a sandwich pick?
The first 15 picks are protected, Fielder would need to sign with someone in the upper half of the standings for the Brewers to get a 1st round pick for him.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Betancourt has a 2M buyout, or we have to pay him 6M next year. So, basically, we save 4M by not playing him, which can go to signing anyone, anyone at all who can play SS.

You "save" $4 million but you still need to find a SS. It's questionable whether $4 million will get you much of an upgrade. If you have to trade to get one that's even more of a cost.

Picking up Betancourt's option would cost them the additional $4 million and nothing in players. That's not the no-brainer everyone thinks it is unless you think 70 RBI SS are plentiful for a lot less. I wouldn't be shocked if they came to a compromise and signed him for a year at $2.5 to 3 million, so with the buyout of $2 million, would total $4.5 to5 million, an actual savings of $1 to $1.5 million.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You "save" $4 million but you still need to find a SS. It's questionable whether $4 million will get you much of an upgrade. If you have to trade to get one that's even more of a cost.

Picking up Betancourt's option would cost them the additional $4 million and nothing in players. That's not the no-brainer everyone thinks it is unless you think 70 RBI SS are plentiful for a lot less. I wouldn't be shocked if they came to a compromise and signed him for a year at $2.5 to 3 million, so with the buyout of $2 million, would total $4.5 to5 million, an actual savings of $1 to $1.5 million.

The $2 million buyout is paid by KC. I don't know if we'd get to 'keep' the $2 million if we picked up his option or signed him to a different deal. I think we would, but I'm not sure.

I believe we made an agreement with K-Rod not to offer arby.
Unknown and I doubt they did. The only thing that is known is that the contract was reconstructed so K-Rod would hit free agency I doubt that includes a no arby offer.
I could actually see a no-arby deal as a possibility, but I'd be a bit surprised if it was made. The reason I could see it as a possibility is because K-Rod would be a less attractive free agent signing for a team if they know they have to give up a high draft pick for him. That would make it harder for K-Rod to make the money he wants.

But why would the Brewers do it? As long as he didn't reach that number of games finished or whatever it was they had no reason to worry about his option coming into play. Regardless of whether or not he's a type A, someone would sign him.

I wouldn't be surprised if K-Rod signs a 1-year deal with the Rays in the offseason even if the Brewers offer him arbitration. I believe the Rays are the perfect fit for K-Rod as they don't have a closer and they will be looking for one and will give K-Rod that one year deal to close. It is almost to perfect actually. The Angels and Rangers also make sense for K-Rod on a 1-year deal though I think the Rangers may go more than 1-year for K-Rod.

I believe the Brewers are going to offer K-Rod arbitration and he will reject it and sign with either the Rangers or the Rays.

Archived