Brewer Fanatic

Playoff Rally at Summerfest Grounds

Ulice Payne
He got SAD and depression "out of his system"? That is just terribly ignorant. Hell, there's a good chance he's still taking medication for it and I don't think you area ever completely cured from either condition.

Again, some of you are not really reading my posts and/or twisting my words. The following is basically what I have been stating. A) The condition was so bad that he could not even do his Job. B) He sought treatment C) The treatment and medication was effective enough that he could pitch again in front of packed stadiums. D) Despite this remarkable progress, no one finds it odd that he can not stand on a stage with the rest of his team mates for 15 to 20 minutes.

I guess I'm just not as sympathetic as most of you are towards a guy who's getting paid millions of dollars to play a game. Fulfill this obligation like the rest of your teammates did. It's really not asking that much.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to side with Greinke here for sure. A mental illness isn't something that you can just "tough out" and ignore. Yes his medication has been effective enough for him to get back out on the mound, but that is way different that standing on stage in front of 7500 people at a rally. On the mound, it's more of an actual controlled chaos.

I really compare it to a person with Alzheimer's, even if they are on medication and have a few good days in a row--you can't expect them to not have setbacks for no apparent reason and forget who their family is. It is asking A TON for someone to just get over a disease, even if they are getting treatment for the disease.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

You guys make it sound like he's completely unstable and we never know when this disorder (please note that cancer is disease and this is a disorder....comparing the two is not appropriate) may worsen again and he won't be able to pitch. If that's the case, I sure hope that they have no plans to sign him to a LT contract.

Of course, I don't believe this is the case as I saw him at Fan Fest and I have seen him do a few interviews. While he's an "odd duck", I don't think he's completely unstable.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

He has a chronic illness. This is not exactly the easiest profession to choose when you have something like SAD. Yes, many of us would love to have a 95 mph fastball and all the fame and cash that goes with it...but many of those same people don't have to deal with a condition like SAD. If it was just some guy who's being a jerk or not a team player, yes he should suck it up and get out there. That isn't the case with Zack. To his credit as well, he may not be the life of the party but he doesn't appear to be a clubhouse cancer.

As someone else mentioned, while I'm sure these guys all appreciate the fan support my guess is there are a bunch of places they would have rather been. They all bucked up and got out there which was a nice moment for the fans and the city...bravo. There's plenty of guys that can cover for Zack, but no one will be able to in game 2 or 3...let the guy worry about that.

RobDeer[/b] 45]Don't put the guy in a situation right before a huge series that will make him feel terrible. It's something that he can't control and makes him squirm. He's not being a jerk, come on people.
You didn't have to say "come on people", you should have said "come on Patrick" since apparently it's just me that's being insensitive and politically incorrect.

to me, Zach Greinke is our Jimmy Chitwood. He doesn't say much but plays his heart out. I am totally expecting Roenicke to call a mound conference with the entire infield and Greinke on the mound, Ron will want to pull him from the game, the teammates will all let out big sighs, Ron will yell above the crowd, "What's the matter?", the players will all look to Zach, and he'll say, "I'll make it." (or the equivalent thereof)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

pitchleague[/b]]to me, Zach Greinke is our Jimmy Chitwood. He doesn't say much but plays his heart out. I am totally expecting Roenicke to call a mound conference with the entire infield and Greinke on the mound, Ron will want to pull him from the game, the teammates will all let out big sighs, Ron will yell above the crowd, "What's the matter?", the players will all look to Zach, and he'll say, "I'll make it." (or the equivalent thereof)

That is an awesome analogy. Somehow, I'm now even more excited for the playoffs.

Yes, and if Jimmy Chitwood were alive today instead of just being referred to as shy or socially awkward, his over worry-some parents would have taken him to a neurologist and psychiatrist who would have asked him a series of questions and ran a battery of tests so that they could put a more formal name on his condition. Then his poor parents would receive endless bills as they did battle with the insurance companies over how much of the over excessive cost of these treatments would be covered.

Sorry...I know...wrong place for this type of discussion.

How do you open an Aspirin bottle again?

depends. is it child-proof or not? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

edited to put emoticon on. Otherwise, this could've been misconstrued to calling someone a child, which it was not meant to be.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

depends. is it child-proof or not? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

edited to put emoticon on. Otherwise, this could've been misconstrued to calling someone a child, which it was not meant to be.

Hmm...why do I sense that the edit part was supposed to be in blue...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

That would be awsome! Do you have the power to make that happen hawing?

Of course, this is one of those threads that can define you as a poster and haunt you in all your future posts. From now on, whenever anyone sees my avatar, all they will be able to think of is...oh him, that's the guy that hates people with mental disorders.

Well, think of it as a brain disorder instead. "Mental disorder" has always sounded to me like a mind-over-matter thing, and I can attest to the fact that mental illness is as much outside one's control as cancer, MS, diabetes or a host of chronic "physical" illnesses.

However, that horse has been beaten enough. For me, it's Walgreens brand ibuprofen FTW! And I don't want to move the thread right away, but we can get it to WOAH SOLVDD eventually.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Well, think of it as a brain disorder instead. "Mental disorder" has always sounded to me like a mind-over-matter thing
Your killing me!

*inserts toungue between lower and upper teeth..bites down hard*

"the guy that hates people with mental disorders"

Fortunately for you, that's too long to fit as your board title, and the acronym "GTHPWMD" isn't exactly clear http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Getting back on topic... Aspirin, ibuprofen, or acetaminophen? You know what bothers me about this board? People are still complaining about the repeated use of aspirin. They complained when aspirin was acquired in the off-season. They complained when aspirin was used Day 1. Complained when aspirin was used on a daily basis months later. Complained when aspirin was used on day 155. Complained when it was used on day 156. I understand that ibuprofen and acetaminophen are just sitting in the medicine cabinet when they appear to be the much better option. I understand that there may be a new and untested pain reliever that is kicking butt in clinical trials.

Here is my main point. Some of you have made your opinion known about aspirin repeatedly and on a nearly daily basis. I GET IT. YOU DON'T LIKE ASPIRIN. Most of the same people will not give aspirin credit when it prevents a heart attack. However, if aspirin performs poorly and someone acquires Reye's syndrome at a crucial time, everyone is sure to know. Why complain daily? The CEO of Bayer does not read this board. Your repeated complaining does nothing except bother some of the regular readers.

One more thing I want to discuss and that's Goody's Headache Powder. Goody's has been around for years and years and has seen all there is in the world of pain relief. Goody's has a long history of performing well. Members here complained when Goody's was purchased. Why is Goody's taking up space in the medicine cabinet? There are better options available! Granted, when Goody's was first used early on this year, the results weren't great. Goody's was a replacement because of a temporary recall on aspirin. Once aspirin was reinstated, Goody's went back into the medicine cabinet. Later in the season, Goody's excelled in its role. Sometimes, aspirin needed a break and Goody's filled in well. When there was that terrible headache and all seemed lost, Goody's was used and came through in the clutch.

Everybody always likes to bring up the dollar store aspirin. Look, at the time, nobody wanted the dollar store aspirin and the Walgreen's aspirin was a great deal. At the time nobody questioned that move, but because the dollar store aspirin turned out to be the better call years later, suddenly everyone knew better.

You can't fault the team for making the choice it did, we still got a great deal on Walgreen's aspirin.

Golf clap to you guys for directing this thread back to where it belongs: OTC pain medication.

Goody's Headache Powder has always sounded like a quackery product to me. Like those "tonics" that were going to cure all of everyone's ills but were really pretty much booze. Though - it turns out to be a /en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goody%27s_Powder//">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goody%27s_Powder//">a combination of aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived