Brewer Fanatic

Playoff Rally at Summerfest Grounds

Ulice Payne
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He said aspirin. Now immediately somebody tries to change the focus to acetaminophen and ibuprofen. The lack of analytic discipline is increasingly worrisome . . .

*golf clap* I tried to write this post earlier and gave up because I couldn't do it as well.

He did this one post well in this thread, but it's a small sample. Too early to come to any real conclusions.

It's the Yuni walk of posts.

The weather forecast was a little frightening, but we only received sprinkles throughout the rally. The first few thousand fans received rally towels with "2011 Division Champs" written on it. Once those ran out, fans were getting small Brewers/Miller Lite signs. Crowd was estimated around 8,000 or so. Probably 75% or more left after the Brewers left the stage. Not a whole lot of people stuck around for Five for Fighting.

The crowd was into the rally throughout. Besides Nyjer, I thought Jerry Hairston was the star of the show. Very witty. The only downer of the rally was the guy standing next to me and my buddy. Not an exaggeration, he smoked nine cigarettes in less than an hour. I hate cigarette smoke, and this guy was sucking down heaters like his life depended on it.

I did not hear Greinke was not there, but if he wasn't, let's not forget, he's just a weird duck. No one cares since he's good, but if he was just another guy, he'd bounce around and the talk behind his back would be loud, as it's far from quiet even though he's a plus SP.

To be honest, I'm sure there were a few grumbles from players about this, as this was a day off, as tomorrow is a scheduled workout/media day.

dadofandrew[/b]]I did not hear Greinke was not there, but if he wasn't, let's not forget, he's just a weird duck. No one cares since he's good, but if he was just another guy,

I guess I'll be one of the few guys that does care about it regardless of how good he is. I know not everyone will agree with this, but I think one of the reasons you get paid so much money to be an athlete is dealing with the "fame" that comes with it. If he doesn't want to speak..fine, I get that...but at least show up with the rest of your team. Also, if you get a chance to watch replays of last Friday's celebration...see if you can find Grienke anywhere. Yes, I understand that he had to pitch the next day...but to be completely absent from that celebration?

I understand his past and his issue with people, but if he has learned to be comfortable enough to pitch and perform in front of large crowds, surely he can stand on a stage for 15 minutes and join his team in this celebration.

I appreciate what he does on the field, but this "quirkiness" act is getting old.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I appreciate what he does on the field, but this "quirkiness" act is getting old.

I don't think it's quirkiness as much as it is controlled mental illness. He has been diagnosed with some disorder, so I'm giving him lots of slack.

I understand that. However, again, if you can pitch in front of 40,000+ fans, surely you can stand on a stage for 15 minutes with your team in front of 5,000 (?) fans....and why couldn't he just hang out in the lockeroom and at least on Friday night with his team and enjoy. Is he also a alcoholic?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I don't think it's quirkiness as much as it is controlled mental illness. He has been diagnosed with some disorder, so I'm giving him lots of slack.

Exactly. It's analogous to saying someone's fight with cancer is "getting old". Please read this:

I understand that. However, again, if you can pitch in front of 40,000+ fans, surely you can stand on a stage for 15 minutes with your team in front of 5,000 (?) fans....and why couldn't he just hang out in the lockeroom and at least on Friday night with his team and enjoy. Is he also a alcoholic?
For what it's worth I think I did see him in the celebration.

FSN replayed the celebration last night, and I actually did spot Greinke twice, late in the celebration, out on the field, for what it's worth.
Bill didn't even call him up when he introduced the starting pitchers to the crowd, so you have to believe Greinke or someone else made the request for him not to be.

It's not like this is just some switch he can flip on or off. He deals with it all the time. Let's not forget he may be pitching on short rest in a couple days, and just pitched on Wednesday night. If he needed to stay home and get extra rest, I have no problem with it.

We just had a starting pitcher the past couple years who did all the right media and fan friendly things, showed up at events, was an outgoing philanthropist, but sucked on the field. I'll take the guy who pitches like an ace but shies away from the fans any day.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Exactly. It's analogous to saying someone's fight with cancer is "getting old". Please read this:

Again, I am well aware of his past and what he has gone through. Call me callus, and maybe I'm just a little more "old school" than most, but it just seems like he uses it at times to get out of certain obligations. It was so bad at one point that he could not even pitch. He sought treatement and apparently this treatment was effective enough for him to be able to get back on the mound.

And as far as the Cancer comparison...no, it not analogous to saying that....to me it's like someone who has fought cancer, got it out of their system, but still uses it as an excuse years later not to do certain things that they are fully capable of doing.

Now, I will say that maybe there is a valid excuse for not being there yesterday (needing rest because he's on short rest is not one to me...yes, standing on a stage for a half hour can really drain a person) I will give him credit for showing up for the Fan Fest in January. If he can do that, why can't he show up for this rally? As far as a switch he can flip on and off..is it just a coincidence that he can flip this switch on days when he is pitching?

And as far as the Cancer comparison...no, it not analogous to saying that....to me it's like someone who has fought cancer, got it out of their system, but still uses it as an excuse years later not to do certain things that they are fully capable of doing.
He got SAD and depression "out of his system"? That is just terribly ignorant. Hell, there's a good chance he's still taking medication for it and I don't think you area ever completely cured from either condition. He's doing a good job of managing the symptoms and I trust that he will do what he needs to in order to continue to do so.

I just don't see the utility of continuing to speculate whether he's faking an ongoing mental illness. There is absolutely no evidence that he is.

I could care less if Greinke's not there, and I'm sure the majority of his teammates don't care much if at all either, and fully understand why. Just because he's can do something like play baseball in front of people, doesn't mean he's not terrified about being in situations like the rally. It's sad that you would just disregard someones mental illness as if its nothing more than a ploy to get out of things. I wouldn't call that being "old school".

Archived