Brewer Fanatic

Playoff Rally at Summerfest Grounds

Ulice Payne

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really think that they should do this AFTER the playoffs are over. The Brewers have won the division, but so far, that's it. I know the town is ecstatic but keep the team focused. They had their celebration on Friday night. I'd rather wait and have an EPIC one late October.

Bikeage77 wrote:

I really think that they should do this AFTER the playoffs are over. The Brewers have won the division, but so far, that's it. I know the town is ecstatic but keep the team focused. They had their celebration on Friday night. I'd rather wait and have an EPIC one late October.

McCalvy was on WSSP a few weeks ago and Sparky asked about this because he hated it in 2008 and didn't want them to do it this year and McCalvy said he thought this was an MLB event and that all playoff teams do it.

I don't know. The whole thing seems kind of bush league to me. In 2008, I was kind of worried that it gave the team the impression that getting to the playoffs was the primary objective and their play in the Philly series didn't do anything to change my opinion. , kind of odd that a wild card team was basically having a championship celebration. I'm sure that first and foremost, this is a huge marketing opportunity for the team to sell more playoff gear and whatnot, but hopefully it doesn't breed complacency.

I thought it was more supposed to have the feel of a homecoming rally. Something to get the team fired up, not a celebration.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Are people really suggesting that the Brewers may not try as hard because they will feel satisfied? I say this a million times but only in baseball do we say things like that.

We could hold a ticker tape parade for the Brewers and I have no doubt that they will be trying their hardest to win in the playoffs.

Are people really suggesting that the Brewers may not try as hard because they will feel satisfied?

Maybe. This 'pep rally' or whatever seemed like a bit much to me in 2008, these guys and the fans were acting like they just won the WS when they made the playoffs by a game, then they came out horribly flat in the playoffs. At the time, I thought that it was kind of cool due to the 26 year drought, but I don't see the need this year. I guess I don't understand why they would hold such an event before the playoffs even start. Actually I do understand, it's all about marketing. All the hats, t-shirts and sweatshirts sold at Maier park will bring in a ton (and cut out the middleman), and the fact that this event will probably lead all the local news is a ton of free publicity that money can't buy. I don't bemoan them for it too much, but perhaps they should wait until they advance in the playoffs.

I'm fairly certain this is an MLB event. All the playoff teams have them. There was tons of signage that was clearly from the league with the greeny postseason background and MLB logos everywhere in 2008.

Aren't we really looking at this the wrong way? You all are talking as though the team got together and decided to throw a party on the Summerfest grounds. I know they don't mind doing fan stuff, but I think its nuts to think that there isn't something else the players would rather be doing for a few hours on one of their off days before the playoffs.

I'm not sure the marketing argument is sound. The average person would have to take time off work to get to the rally on time. These are hard core fans. They aren't waiting til Thursday to buy their championship gear - they have it already. Other than beer sold, which is unlikely the Brewers are even getting a big cut of, I doubt this is a huge money-making venture.

My two cents

This board never fails to amuse me..Some people would overthink the opening of an asprin bottle

Maybe I'm overthinking, but I'm kind of old school. Frankly, I don't see the need for a public celebration until the season is over. Act like you've been there before. If this is dictated by MLB, there is no choice in the matter, I guess- follow the money. If this is an attempt for the team to be more 'fan friendly', so be it, but I would argue that the game has become much less fan friendly and much more driven by money over the past 20 years or so.

FYI - Us out of towners need to bombard the DirecTV & FoxSports Wisconsin switchboard...right now it's not being shown nationally.

As for this, I'm getting very tired of it. I'm sick of being treated like Minneapolis/St. Paul's redheaded little brother. You can't tell me that there is not enough viewership in the state of Wisconsin for DirecTV to dedicate a channel full time to FSW. They have about a dozen channels that are either home shopping or 24/7 showing informercials for acne remedies, wonder bras, Dean Martin roasts and 70's rock compilations, so the excuse that they don't have enough bandwidth on their satellites or whatever is BS to me.

OK, my rant for the day is over. I feel better now.

He said aspirin. Now immediately somebody tries to change the focus to acetaminophen and ibuprofen. The lack of analytic discipline is increasingly worrisome . . .

*golf clap* I tried to write this post earlier and gave up because I couldn't do it as well.

He did this one post well in this thread, but it's a small sample. Too early to come to any real conclusions.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This board never fails to amuse me..Some people would overthink the opening of an asprin bottle

What kind of aspirin bottle?

Advil?

Bayer?

Tylenol?

There are a lot of factors to consider.

Advil had a WAR of 3.1 last year, making it a better alternative than generic acetaminophen - which is only considered replacement level pain relief (1.0 WAR).

I'd stick with Guinness, which has had a WAR over 5.0 for over 200 years.

Yuni's WAR is below Zero, meaning he actually causes headaches.

He said aspirin. Now immediately somebody tries to change the focus to acetaminophen and ibuprofen. The lack of analytic discipline is increasingly worrisome . . .

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Lack of attention to detail on my part................funny thing is I realized after I posted that Advil is ibuprofen. Figured I'd get nailed on that.

Archived