Brewer Fanatic

2011 Playoff rotation

young guns
Marcum should have been pulled before the Grand Slam. He was struggling and you have a pen, use it.
He was pitching fine that inning. Two bloopers before the two outs and he had actually thrown some nice pitches to Goldschmidt before the homer. Called strike on a really good curve, buried a curve in the dirt, jammed him really well on pitch he barely fouled off, then obviously threw the ball down the middle.

I do think that he was really rattled as a result of the bloop hits, his missed chance at a DP, and whatever weird communication was going on with Lucroy, but I don't believe that had anything to do with the home run pitch.

The mistake Roenicke made was not having Narveson up and ready to face the free swinging Montero in that inning. What's the point in having Narveson in the pen if he's just going to be used in mop up? Instead he chose to intentionally walk Montero, which forced a shaky Marcum to throw strikes to Goldschmidt who's got very good plate discipline for a young guy.

Roenicke had a poor night but considering all they could muster was 3 hits, it didn't likely didn't cost them the game, but if the score was still 3-1, you never know if the pressure might have gotten to the D-Backs.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I much would much rather save Gallardo for a must win game at home than pitch him on short rest on the road in a game the Brewers are perfectly capable of winning without him. And RR has to consider the possibility of Gallardo only pitching once in the NLCS if they make it that far if he pitches today.

Wolf is more than capable of having a really good game; the key obviously is trying to avoid damage against Upton and Goldschmidt. Those are the only two guys I am really scared of. Treat those two guys like the D-Backs should treat Braun & Fielder. It will be interesting to see what Gibson does with Parra & Montero with a lefty going tonight; if he benches them for Blanco and Cowgill that is decent drop in talent even when considering L/R splits.

Wolf did pitch rather poorly against ARI in two starts this year; that scares me a little bit as does the layoff he has had. I would still rather save Gallardo for a do or die game though.

Arizona's team BA is 21 points lower vs. left handed pitching (.235 vs .256). Wolf has good career numbers in Chase Field, 7-2 with a 3.43 ERA. I have no issue having a rested Gallardo ready for a game 5.

It should be a good matchup for the Brewers tonight. The downside is Kottaras is getting his start against their lone lefty and left handed hitters have significantly more trouble against Saunders than right handed hitters.

"I'd sure like to know what was going on between Marcum and Lucroy before that pitch."

It looked to me like Marcum and Lucroy talked about the pitch they wanted to throw on the mound.

Then when Lucroy went back behind the plate, he put down some signs as a decoy or something, but Marcum was ready to throw the pitch they already decided upon. So it threw him off.

I think Marcum over-reacted to the situation slightly, then allowed it to cause him to loose his concentration for that next pitch.

Marcum's away stats is much better than at home, I wonder if we can go with this:

#1, Greinke

#2, Wolf

#3, Gallardo

#4, Greinke

#5, Marcum

#6, Gallardo

#7, Greinke

Greinke has been unbeaten at home, it would be nice to have him for game 7 if necessary. I know this is asking a lot of Yo and Greinke, but this could give us the best chance of winning this series.

Marcum's away stats is much better than at home, I wonder if we can go with this:

#1, Greinke

#2, Wolf

#3, Gallardo

#4, Greinke

#5, Marcum

#6, Gallardo

#7, Greinke

Greinke has been unbeaten at home, it would be nice to have him for game 7 if necessary. I know this is asking a lot of Yo and Greinke, but this could give us the best chance of winning this series.

I'd be on board with this, but Roenicke will never do it.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I want to see quick hooks this series. If a guy is getting pounded in the first inning, bring in Narveson or Estrada. Each of these guys has had his moments during the season and even the postseason.

I'd be up for getting extra cute, just to really mess with LaRussa. Announce Narveson as your Game 4 starter. Let him pitch to one batter than put Marcum in. LaRussa being his genius self will have gone whole hog on the platoons. He's then stuck at a big platoon disadvantage or faced with burning his bench very quickly. Plus we still have Estrada if we need a long guy for the game.

If the Brewers can win 2 of the next 3 games, (making game 5 an elimination game on the road) here's what I would do.

game 2: marcum

game 3: gallardo

game 4: wolf

game 5: narveson/marcum/estrada

game 6: greinke (should NOT pitch on the road & should not pitch in a game 7)

game 7: gallardo

thoughts?

I want to see quick hooks this series. If a guy is getting pounded in the first inning, bring in Narveson or Estrada. Each of these guys has had his moments during the season and even the postseason.

Could not agree more. With a day off tomorrow and two long guys in the pen, if Marcum looks too shaky I wouldn't hesitate to Johnny Wholestaff this thing. I'm still concerned about Marcum's health/effectiveness. The ball may be jumping with the roof open tonight...he has to keep that ball down. Narveson has been effective against them.

Obviously Roenicke will say that. He's not gonna come out and throw his guy under the bus at the post game presser. What's he gonna say, "well yeah he's horrible, of course he won't pitch again." Even if he's thinking that he won't say it. He probably wouldn't even think about saying that he was considering it until later on.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I really hope Roenicke goes with this rotation the rest of this series:

#3, Gallardo

#4, Greinke

#5, Wolf

#6, Gallardo

#7, Greinke

This is an extremely important series for Brewers fans and franchise, I hope Roenicke don't screw this up.

Obviously Roenicke will say that. He's not gonna come out and throw his guy under the bus at the post game presser. What's he gonna say, "well yeah he's horrible, of course he won't pitch again." Even if he's thinking that he won't say it. He probably wouldn't even think about saying that he was considering it until later on.
There's an element of that, I'm sure. But knowing how reluctant Ron was to move Loe out of the eighth inning, Casey out of the 5 hole, Gomez out of the 2 hole, etc. I tend to wonder...

Greinke and Gallardo on three days rest makes me very nervous.

The absence of the off-day between Games 4 and 5 is a killer for the Brewers this year. Quite honestly, people whining about World Series games in November could be the difference between winning and losing the pennant.

Archived