Brewer Fanatic

2011 Playoff rotation

young guns
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Greinke can and will go on Sunday. He's 27 years old. Only threw 170 innings this year. Only 75 pitches last night. It's not like he's been overworked. This is why you brought him here.

I'd still feel much more comfortable having Gallardo and Greinke, both fully rested, and available for a potential Game 5 here in Milwaukee. Then whichever one you don't use in Game 5 is most likely your Game 1 NLCS starter.

Give Marcum Game 3 at ARZ, then 2 and 6 at PHA.

I agree jhart.

Plus the title of this thread needs to be changed to "Why Greinke Should Start Game 2".

let me count the ways (to be prioritized later):

1a) 11-0 at Miller Park

1b) ERA a full run-and-a-half higher on the road

this should be NUFF SAID. I am no social scientist or psychologist or tarot card reader. All I know is a semi-documented aspect of this man's life includes a little anxiety (we all have it, some more than others) when's he's in uncomfortable / variable / non-routine oriented environments. I'm happy as hell he comfy at the Keg and would like to see him pitch successfully there.

2) holding him for a game 3 in AZ would put him on 5 days rest. both times he's pitched on 5 days rest this month he's been ineffective: 9/13 v COL a high pictch count (5 innings / 116) cut his outing short and 9/24 the Marlin knocked him around (5 / 108)

3) his pick-up basketball game cracked rib means this is early August for him; he has not been taxed this year CC-style. There's gas in the tank.

4) 74 pitches his last start including 6, 7, and 7 pitch innings amounts to an extended bullpen session. It was the Pirates afterall.

[aside] (while on 3 days rest) I don't like the decision to let him pitch the 5th inning Wednesday when he was through 4 at 52 pitches up 5 - 1, and I REALLY don't like letting him pitch the 6 at 67 pitches up 6 - 1. Nevertheless, he finished with an OK 74.

5) We could still get away with a 3 man rotation (if necessary, of course) for the NLDS: Gallardo goes game 4 on 3 days rest and then Greinke back at Miller Park for game 5 on "regular" rest. Marcum would have game 1 of the NLCS and Gallardo back for game 2 on regular rest. Greinke then - AGAIN AT HOME (notice a theme?) - for game 3 (reg rest) if it's, indeed, the Phillies.

6) there's more, but I need to work a little bit before coming back.

I'd like to disregard the home/road thing. The sample is small, and as others have pointed out, the home/road situation was reversed last year.

However, starting Zack in Game 2 could conceivably make him available for a game down the road where he might not be available otherwise. I'd strongly consider it for that reason.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'd like to disregard the home/road thing. The sample is small, and as

others have pointed out, the home/road situation was reversed last year.

It's a small sample size but it is significant, as are Marcum's splits. I feel much better knowing Greinke is going to pitch game 2 and Marcum pitching game three. I'm glad Roenicke didn't discard the splits. Arizona is a good team and we need all the advantages we can get.

I'd like to disregard the home/road thing. The sample is small, and as

others have pointed out, the home/road situation was reversed last year.

It's a small sample size but it is significant, as are Marcum's splits. I feel much better knowing Greinke is going to pitch game 2 and Marcum pitching game three. I'm glad Roenicke didn't discard the splits. Arizona is a good team and we need all the advantages we can get.

Is it? If there is an actual, known reason why their splits are what they are, then ok, I can buy it. But since I've never heard anyone give any sort of reason WHY their home/road splits are so, well, "split," then I don't really put any stock in them.

Is it? If there is an actual, known reason why their splits are what

they are, then ok, I can buy it. But since I've never heard anyone give

any sort of reason WHY their home/road splits are so, well, "split,"

then I don't really put any stock in them

By significant I meant results wise. The differences in Marcum and Greinke's home and road numbers are significant. I'm don't know why it is, but I'm not sure it matters at this point. I just look at the results. What I gather from them is that the odds of us having a quality start in game 2 are increased if Greinke pitches. The same could be said for game 3 with Marcum. That doesn't mean Marcum can't toss a gem in game 2 or Greinke in game 3. I just think based on the entire year, and considering this is both of their first years in Milwaukee so it's not like Marcum has experienced success at Miller Park in the past, that you go with the odds. I just hope the three days rest doesn't have a negative affect of Greinke.

If there is an actual, known reason why their splits are what they are, then ok, I can buy it. But since I've never heard anyone give any sort of reason WHY their home/road splits are so, well, "split," then I don't really put any stock in them.

I would tend to agree, but it seems like RR had put a lot of weight on what Greinke wanted to do. It could be he told RR he'd rather pitch Sunday, either because it is a home game or because he prefers short rest to extra rest.

Normally the home/road splits seem to be just small sample sizes, but they seem to make some sense vs. Arizona. Miller Park gives up a bunch of homers so a strikeout pitcher like Greinke probably does better. Marcum gives up a bunch of fly balls, some of which seem to leak over the fence at MP...many of these are fly balls or doubles in AZ.

I'm a little nervous about back to back short rests for Greinke. I just hope they are being honest with themselves in their evaluation of Greinke being able to do this.

Normally the home/road splits seem to be just small sample sizes, but they seem to make some sense vs. Arizona. Miller Park gives up a bunch of homers so a strikeout pitcher like Greinke probably does better. Marcum gives up a bunch of fly balls, some of which seem to leak over the fence at MP...many of these are fly balls or doubles in AZ.
I doubt that, both are more hitters parks and surrender a lot of home runs. In fact, the dimensions are very similar except for the right field picnic area at Miller Park, but Arizona has thinner air.

I'm disappointed that Wolf is going to start Game 4. Just seems to be begging for a Game 5 imo. I would much rather see Roenicke throw Gallardo tomorrow, then Wolf if he has to. Or use Wolf to start Game 1 in the NLCS if the team wins in Game 4.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think Wolf can win us the game tomorrow night. I don't have a problem with it. I expect to be playing Philly next round, so Gallardo and Greinke are who I want in Games 1 and 2. Obviously we'd need to win tomorrow, but I think that would look good.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I've been nervous about piggybacking Marcum/Wolf since the talk started about moving Greinke to Game 2. Both have been pitching poorly for the past three weeks. Marcum has been getting killed by the big home run, and Wolf has been getting knocked around early in games. Hopefully he steps it up tomorrow. As we saw tonight, falling behind on the road is extremely tough to overcome.

Is there any chance that if say Wolf is laboring and should be pulled around the 4th-5th inning, but the game is still tied to within 2-3 runs that Roenicke could use Greinke for maybe 1-2 innings instead of using Estrada as a bridge to the late inning relief pitchers?

I ask because today Ron Washington used starting pitcher Derek Holland for a little over an inning after pulling Harrison who only went five innings, even though Holland started Game 2 of the series.

Is there any chance that if say Wolf is laboring and should be pulled around the 4th-5th inning, but the game is still tied to within 2-3 runs that Roenicke could use Greinke for maybe 1-2 innings instead of using Estrada as a bridge to the late inning relief pitchers?

I ask because today Ron Washington used starting pitcher Derek Holland for a little over an inning after pulling Harrison who only went five innings, even though Holland started Game 2 of the series.

It's a good strategy in playoffs to pitch your best pitchers. I would be good with Greinke throwing a few innings today as it is his bullpen session anyhow. Just have him throw a session tomorrow if you don't need him. Whatever it takes to win.

And I am alright with Wolf starting today, just have a quick hook. Marcum should have been pulled before the Grand Slam. He was struggling and you have a pen, use it.

I am confident that Wolf CAN win today; but not sure that he will. As long as the Dbacks don't pitch Collmenter on 0 days rest we have a chance. Wolf just can't come out and put us in an early hole again like Marcum did yesterday. It will probably all depend on what kind of strike zone Wolf is going to get

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

It's a good strategy in playoffs to pitch your best pitchers. I would be good with Greinke throwing a few innings today as it is his bullpen session anyhow. Just have him throw a session tomorrow if you don't need him. Whatever it takes to win.

And I am alright with Wolf starting today, just have a quick hook. Marcum should have been pulled before the Grand Slam. He was struggling and you have a pen, use it.

This. I'd sure like to know what was going on between Marcum and Lucroy before that pitch. Ultimately, location is still on the pitcher, and Lucroy was set up inside as it was. That was just bad location there. It doesn't help when the pitcher and catcher appear to not be able to communicate though.

Marcum should have been pulled before the Grand Slam. He was struggling and you have a pen, use it.
He was pitching fine that inning. Two bloopers before the two outs and he had actually thrown some nice pitches to Goldschmidt before the homer. Called strike on a really good curve, buried a curve in the dirt, jammed him really well on pitch he barely fouled off, then obviously threw the ball down the middle.

I do think that he was really rattled as a result of the bloop hits, his missed chance at a DP, and whatever weird communication was going on with Lucroy, but I don't believe that had anything to do with the home run pitch.

I am confident that Wolf CAN win today; but not sure that he will. As long as the Dbacks don't pitch Collmenter on 0 days rest we have a chance. Wolf just can't come out and put us in an early hole again like Marcum did yesterday. It will probably all depend on what kind of strike zone Wolf is going to get
Yep, we'll be able to tell early on what we're going to get from Wolf. I would definitely have Collmenter out there for game 4 and 5 if I was the Dbacks. He pitches left handed with his right hand so all logic is thrown out the window with this guy.

I think Wolf can win us the game tomorrow night.

I think he could get the W. I just think Yo gives the Brewers a better chance to win. I don't like when managers manage for the next round when they're not even there yet, although I do think Roenicke is doing what he believes is best for the 'right now' with starting Wolf.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived