Brewer Fanatic

2011 Playoff rotation

young guns

So now I think its safe to talk about this. I was looking ahead, and really, not much needs to be done to get players in the right spots. As it sits now, Yo pitches the final game of the season and then you have Greinke, Marcum, and Wolf "scheduled" for the 2 off days and game 1. Easiest thing to do would be to just push Greinke back to Monday to line him up for the Opening game. Have Yo do a simulated game on tuesday, and Marcum pitch Saturday with a simulated game on the thur or fri after the season, depending on if you want him going on regular rest or an extra day. Wolf on sunday lines him up perfectly for a game 4 start, with a simulated game inbetween. Marcum could also pitch wed, if you want him to go on 2 days extra rest.

This is how I would do it, of course, if they want Yo starting game 1, it just complicates everything.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we have home field, I'd do what I could to set it up so Yo and Grienke go in games 1 and 2 in some order, then Marcum and Wolf on the road. Game 5 can then be either Yo or Grienke, as they'll both have enough rest. Hell, it could be Yo AND Grienke.

So now I think its safe to talk about this. I was looking ahead, and really, not much needs to be done to get players in the right spots. As it sits now, Yo pitches the final game of the season and then you have Greinke, Marcum, and Wolf "scheduled" for the 2 off days and game 1. Easiest thing to do would be to just push Greinke back to Monday to line him up for the Opening game. Have Yo do a simulated game on tuesday, and Marcum pitch Saturday with a simulated game on the thur or fri after the season, depending on if you want him going on regular rest or an extra day. Wolf on sunday lines him up perfectly for a game 4 start, with a simulated game inbetween. Marcum could also pitch wed, if you want him to go on 2 days extra rest.

This is how I would do it, of course, if they want Yo starting game 1, it just complicates everything.

No, the easiest thing to do would be to leave it as it is, and go Gallardo, Greinke, Marcum, Wolf. Just don't start Gallardo on Wednesday. There you go. Done.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'm confused as to why Wolf would pitch at all. People keep saying Detroit will be so tough in a 5 game series because Verlander will get to pitch 3 times and then they say the Brewers will use 4 pitchers, those two comments make no sense together.

Unless Roenicke pitches someone on 3 days rest, there's no way Wolf won't start. Most teams will go with 4-man rotations because of the elimination of the extra off day that's usually in each series. That won't happen, so Wolf will pitch. Tigers would have to pitch Verlander on 3 days rest twice to get him in 3 times in a 7-game series.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If the first series is against Philly, I think I'd prefer to start Wolf, rather than go with 3. With all their lefties, Wolf wouldn't be a bad start. But, I'm expecting to have the Braves instead. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If the first series is against Philly, I think I'd prefer to start Wolf, rather than go with 3. With all their lefties, Wolf wouldn't be a bad start. But, I'm expecting to have the Braves instead. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
I am pretty sure the Braves are the worst team in the NL against lefties so Wolf will probably get a start.

Just to get these numbers out there, the Braves have a team line of .229/.292/.352/.644 against lefties. In comparison, they have a .252/.318/.405/.723 line against righties.

Normally I'd be annoyed about Wolf getting a start, but against the Braves I won't mind it so much. After the first round though (should things go well), I'm really hoping they mow through the rest of the playoffs with just Greinke-YoGa-Marcum.

First off- Congratulations to the 2011 NL Central Champion Milwaukee Brewers!

I disagree with Wolf not being given a chance to be part of the playoff rotation. He has pitched just as well as the other 3 starters all year long, he's our only lefty, and he the only one of the 4 with playoff starting experience (besides one NLDS start for Yo in 2008). I think he has earned his opportunity.

Here is how I think manager Ron Roneicke will set the Playoff rotation:

(#)=days rest

NLDS

Game 1- Saturday, October 1st- RHP Zack Greinke (6)

Game 2- Sunday, October 2nd- RHP Shaun Marcum (6)

Game 3- Tuesday, October 4th- RHP Yovani Gallardo (5)

Game 4- Wednesday, October 5th (if ness)- LHP Randy Wolf (8)

Game 5- Friday, October 7th (if ness)- RHP Zack Greinke (5)

NLCS (depending on how many games it takes us to win NLDS- assuming 5 for now)

Game 1- Sunday, October 9th- RHP Shaun Marcum (6)

Game 2- Monday, October 10th- RHP Yovani Gallardo (5)

Game 3- Wednesday, October 12th- RHP Zack Greinke (4)

Game 4- Thursday, October 13th- LHP Randy Wolf (7)

Game 5- Friday, October 14th (if ness)- RHP Shaun Marcum (4)

Game 6- Sunday, October 16th- (if ness)- RHP Yovani Gallardo (5)

Game 7- Monday, October 17th- (if ness)- RHP Zack Greinke (4)

World Series (depending on how many games it takes us to win NLCS- assuming 7 for now)

Game 1- Wednesday, October 19th at Miller Park- RHP Shaun Marcum (4)

Game 2- Thursday, October 20th at Miller Park- LHP Randy Wolf (6)

Game 3- Saturday, October 22nd at AL Park- RHP Yovani Gallardo (5)

Game 4- Sunday, October 23rd at AL Park- RHP Zack Greinke (5)

Game 5- Monday, October 24th at AL Park (if ness)- RHP Shaun Marcum (4)

Game 6- Wednesday, October 26th at Miller Park (if ness)- RHP Yovani Gallrdo (3)

Game 7- Thursday, October 27th at Miller Park (if ness)- RHP Zack Greinke (3)

This all goes out the window if any series doesn't go the distance, but as you can see, having Wolf make just one start in each series allows all starters to pitch on plenty of rest until Games 6 and 7 of the World Series, when Yo and Zack would have to pitch on 3 days rest for the first time. Of course, if the Brewers where facing an elimination game (game 4 of NLDS for example), I would also prefer that Wolf would be skipped in favor of someone else on short rest.

Typing Game 6 and 7 of World Series at Miller Park just gave me chills!

Go Brewers!

I don't know if there is enough difference between the Brewers top 4 to justify skipping, if it means having someone go on short rest. My guess would be Wolf on regular rest > Greinke/Marcum/Gallardo on short rest?

I don't know what the order should be, but I think it will be a 4 man rotation.

Greinke

Marcum

Gallardo

Wolf

That way you go fast-slow-fast-slow or another way to look at it pitch to strikeout-contact-strikeout-contact with a lefty in there. If we lose 2 out of 3 I would consider bringing in Greinke on day 4, but probably not because I think he needs to know in advance what day he's going to pitch.

Arizona is the only team where I would maybe want to skip Wolf, but against Atlanta or Philly he's a pretty good matchup. Another thing I would probably try to do is make sure Wolf doesn't pitch in Philly because he might be vulnerable to the HR in that park.
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

i'm fairly certain we'll use a 3 man rotation, Yo, Grinke, and Marcum. Narveson undoubtedly will be used as special lefty...and wolf would probably only start if one of the other 3 felt uncomfortable.
I am fairly certain it will be a 4 man rotation because of RRR's love of veterans. Wolf has "earned" a start and will start game 4. If RRR was the kind of manager who would use a 3 man rotation they Green would be in there for McGehee every night.

Yo and Greinke have been the best two pitchers of late, so they'll start the first two. I assume Marcum and Wolf would be next, possibly flipped if they play ATL, with the Game 1 guy going in Game 5. I assume that would be Yo.

They may have Yo/Zach pitch a couple innings in the Tues/Wed game. They'll probably talk to them all today and adjust them, based on their preference. This time of year, they can probably all use some extra rest.

It all depends on how the last 4 days go. If we have home field clinched(or can't get it) by the last game of the year then you skip Yo and pitch him first. If we start on the road then Marcum gets the 2nd game. If its at home then Greinke goes in game 2.

If we still need the last game to clinch home field then you have to pitch Yo and Greinke/ Marcum start the first 2.

I'd be shocked if they used Yo the last day. Their priorities will be to set them up for the playoffs, not to win home field, in my opinion.

Those would be some mis-guided priorites if it means the difference in starting at home vs. Braves or on road at Philies!

I'd be shocked if they used Yo the last day. Their priorities will be to set them up for the playoffs, not to win home field, in my opinion.

Those would be some mis-guided priorites if it means the difference in starting at home vs. Braves or on road at Philies!

Exactly, no reason Yo can't go on the last day if we need that win for home field. There's a huge difference between the two scenarios. Besides, even if he goes that last day he would still be setup to pitch Game Three. Instead of Yo/Greinke/Marcum/Wolf/Yo it would be Greinke/Marcum/Yo/Wolf/Grienke. Only real difference is two Greinke starts instead of two Yo starts if it goes five games.

topper09er wrote:

I am fairly certain it will be a 4 man rotation because of RRR's love of veterans.

What are you talking about? The five 'veterans' on team I consider Counsell, Hariston, Hawkins, Saito, and Kotsay... Counsell plays once in a blue moon, Hariston has rarely played since Weeks came back, Hawkins was shunned out of the 8th spot while Loe was stinking in the first half, and Saito has only pitched 23 innings this year (4 innings in September). Kotsay is deserving of pinch-hit opportunities because he's been their best pinch hitter. Hardly 'love of veterans'.

And considering McGehee a veteran is outlandish. I'm not sure how that applies to using 4 starters.

Pitch Greinke, Marcum, Wolf on Saturday, Sunday, Monday. Depending on the home field situation after Monday you then have options. You can pitch either Narveson or Estrada on Tuesday depending on what you feel the best matchup is, and depending on where things sit with respect to Arizona. If you need Yo on Wednesday, to clinch home field, I think you probably have to use him then. If home field is no longer in play you can use both Estrada and Narveson on Tuesday/Wednesday in whatever order you want.

I guess the other option would be to go back to Yo on Tuesday on 4 days of rest if needed, but then you may end up having to depend on Narvy/Estrada on Wednesday for a clincher (or really mess up the post-season rotation). Then you could use Yo again on Sunday (Game 2) with his normal 5 days of rest. This might be the better option because then you still get Yo out there in the first leg of the 5-game series regardless of location. I guess it all depends on how Yo feels. I don't think he has a lot of history in this regard. My own feeling is that a lot of times guys are good going on the shorter start the first time, but sometimes they don't rebound as well for the following start. Obviously that wouldn't be ideal, but it's pure conjecture.

So what is more important? Aligning the rotation, or taking your best shot at home field and worrying about it afterward? Maybe the Giants and Dodgers will help the Crew out and make things easier, but I think there is no doubt that AZ has just as much motivation to get that #2 record as the Brewers do. At some point you do still have to rely on secondary guys that helped to get you to the Division title. It might be really hard to do, but maybe you pitch both Narvy and Estrada on Tuesday and Wednesday, put faith in them and the bats and the energy in the ballpark to carry you through. Either way then you can do whatever you want with your rotation no matter where you play.

Archived