Brewer Fanatic

Wolf's ""I have to tough it out" attitude

markedman5

One thing that has always bothered me about athletes in general is the "I have to tough it out no matter what" stuff that goes on when they get hurt. We had a rested bullpen and an off day tomorrow. Why is he trying to "eat up as many innings as I could" when the most important thing is winning the game?

The way Garza threw today(and the way we hit) it probably wouldn't have made a difference today but if you have a sore pitching wrist after getting hit by a 95 mph fastball then tell the manager so he can put someone else in....

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/130312768.html

"I don’t see how you can come back and throw and have the same feel as you would normally."

That's a direct quote from Roenicke. Then he went on to say that the reason he left "Wolfie" in the game is "Wolfie" wanted to stay in & told RRR he was fine. Mmph.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"I don’t see how you can come back and throw and have the same feel as you would normally."

That's a direct quote from Roenicke. Then he went on to say that the reason he left "Wolfie" in the game is "Wolfie" wanted to stay in & told RRR he was fine. Mmph.

Yikes Ron...get an idea buddy.

I don't think anyone would have thought Wolf was 'soft' after getting drilled in the wrist by a Garza fastball. Besides, what relevance does the Cutler fan overreaction have here?

One thing that has always bothered me about athletes in general is the "I have to tough it out no matter what" stuff that goes on when they get hurt.

If you think nobody would question Wolf's toughness if he took himself out of the game after being HBP, you have too much faith in sports fans. Did you read any message board comments and/or listen to any talk radio after the Packers/Bears playoff game? Bears fans burned his jersey in the street. Jay Cutler pulled himself out of the game in the 3rd quarter after injuring his knee in the first half. He tried to tough it out, but he couldn't.

Jay Cutler is a professional athlete. Randy Wolf is a professional athlete. The OP made a comment about athletes in general, hence my comparison.

I think most fans want athletes to do whats best for the team.

It was the "eat up as many innings as I could" comment that really got me more then anything else. This wasn't a game in june right after a 17 inning slugfest where the bullpen was spent and you needed somebody to suck it up.

We are fighting for homefield advantage and have yet to clinch the division so I didn't view yesterdays game as "meaningless". Not really sure how anyone could.

The Phillies are playing meaningless games now not the Brewers.

I agree that nobody would have cared if Wolf came out. It's not at all comparable to the Cutler thing. Besides, if you're really worried about protecting Wolf's reputaion, just say it was the manager's decision (which it should have been anyway).

I blame Roenicke for this more than Wolf. Of course Wolf doesn't want to come out of the game. If it were up to the players, almost nobody would ever take themselves out of a game for any reason. It should have been common sense for Roenicke to err on the side of caution in this situation, all things considered.

Archived