Brewer Fanatic

New Miami Marlins Logo Leaked.

berniebrewer4life
I love the monstrosity in the outfield. I can't even look at it without laughing out loud. I remember when the first renderings of that statue were released...I didn't think it was real. But oh man...It's real...and it's hideous. It looks like something that you would see during an interlude on a Monty Python movie. If they make any changes to it...I predict it will be to make it bigger and more gaudy.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Yep, there's nothing retro about the park. It's very modern. All the signs and concessions have block lettering, not script. It's very colorful. Lots of blues, greens, reds, and yellows on the concourse. However, they haven't installed most of the art yet. So that could be part of why the park is sort of boring right now. Modern can be dangerous because it can be cold and unfriendly, but when you combine the modern architecture with that color scheme it works well. That's part of what is so awful about that sculpture, it doesn't match the theme of the rest of the ballpark at all.

I haven't been to Target Field, which is too bad because that is probably the park that compares most closely. This place was built on a much stricter budget so I expect those who have been to both will rate Target Field higher. I've also never been to Minute Maid which is the closest comparison in terms of overall seating design and roof structure. The problem with Minute Maid is that it is gimmicky--the hill and the train (to an extent) are contrived and out of place. It's hard to pretend to be retro with the giant retractable roof--especially when your team is called the Astros! The modern look is better. And the blue seats are refreshing, Miller Park is too dark when there are 20,000 empty seats. They just really messed up with that statue. Loria just couldn't keep his hands off it. The whole feel of the panorama from the seats is ruined by it. It's far worse in person than the photos--you literally can not take your eyes off it.

Also, we haven't talked much about the logo and new uniforms, but they are very popular down here and go well with the theme of the ballpark. Despite the initial complaints I think they are a success. The block lettering is essential considering the ballpark. The art deco is there but it's subtle.

• 3 weeks later...
I think the aquarium wall behind home plate is awesome, but the home run feature is clearly (to me) overdone. Sure, you picked "Marlins" as your team name to represent local wildlife the way many teams do, but do you really need a gaudy shrine to the animal that makes it look like Miami residents have an unhealthy complex with the fish?? Imagine the same display with bucks for our NBA team, I'd feel like I was at some binzarre deer-worshipping cult compound.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Community Moderator
I'm not convinced that it is finished in those tests. This was supposed to be a crazy exploding extravaganza. No lights on the dolphins? No fireworks or lasers? I don't think the slot machine is finished yet.

I'm not convinced that it is finished in those tests. This was supposed to be a crazy exploding extravaganza. No lights on the dolphins? No fireworks or lasers? I don't think the slot machine is finished yet.

I was mildly surprised that the water seemed to spout on only one side of the "feature." Maybe it's still being tweaked.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator

The Marlins are putting on a clinic for how not to treat your neighbors if you want to gain respect in the community.

LINK

Just last week, Miami city commissioners voted to convert four city-owned lots into parking spaces for Little Havana residents whose on-street parking was eliminated to accommodate traffic around the new Marlins Park.

The only thing missing was about $20,000 to clear the lots, install lighting and throw down some gravel, and another $20,000 or so for annual maintenance and security costs.

On Thursday, a dejected Carollo said he had personally appealed to the Marlins for the money, and was surprised to get a flat-out no from the team’s president, David Samson.

This prompted millionaire businessman Norman Braman, a longtime critic of the deal to publicly finance the stadium’s construction, to ask: “Does that surprise anybody?” Both Regalado and Carollo, who represents the district, say taxpayers should not have to pay to prepare the lots for parking.

I was mildly surprised that the water seemed to spout on only one side of the "feature." Maybe it's still being tweaked.

I believe the water spout is actually a "splash" when the marlin dives into the "water," hence no spout when the marlin rises from the other side.

The Marlins are putting on a clinic for how not to treat your neighbors if you want to gain respect in the community.

This prompted millionaire businessman Norman Braman, a longtime critic of the deal to publicly finance the stadium’s construction, to ask: “Does that surprise anybody?” Both Regalado and Carollo, who represents the district, say taxpayers should not have to pay to prepare the lots for parking.

Sounds like the Marlins are keeping it classy down there. What a joke of a franchise.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Community Moderator
Now that Citi Field moved in the fences, Marlins Park is looking like the #2 pitchers park in the NL (behind San Diego). I know it's early, but those power alleys are deep and that drive by Stanton wasn't even close.

I haven't really understood all the comments about the Miami uniforms since the day they were presented. The word Miami has some different colors in it and it's a different type of font, but other than that they seem fairly basic. Nothing drastically different than any other teams uniforms. I'm just not seeing what the big deal is.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I haven't really understood all the comments about the Miami uniforms since the day they were presented. The word Miami has some different colors in it and it's a different type of font, but other than that they seem fairly basic. Nothing drastically different than any other teams uniforms. I'm just not seeing what the big deal is.

People just like to complain about things.

Archived