Brewer Fanatic

New Miami Marlins Logo Leaked.

berniebrewer4life
It's not like they can't alter the logo or font prior to next season. Maybe leaking this logo was to gauge reaction to it ...? But you shouldn't need public opinion to tell you that it's pretty lame.
Reminds me of the Leaders and Legends fiasco, yet they stuck with it for no apparent reason.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Marlin, hate the M.

Yeah, the Marlin is fine. Likewise the cartoon drawing of the stadium is fine. I'm referring to the shapes, not the colors.

It's not like they can't alter the logo or font prior to next season. Maybe leaking this logo was to gauge reaction to it ...?

There's a point where they won't be able to alter the logo. I wouldn't be surprised if we've already reached that point. However, the idea of leaking something to gauge reaction is plausible.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I don't think the "Marlins" is the font that will actually be used, I think that is generic placeholder, like you would see on a "Property of Milwaukee Brewers" type shirt. I would bet that the actual word mark will actually use a font somewhat similar to the M used in the logo. All that said, I like the two parts of the logo independently, but they seem forced when put together. If they use the two aspects of the logo independently, then it has the potential to be a cool uniform set.

In the Miami New Times article that obsessedwithbrewcrew linked, there is a picture of the Marlins scoreboard misspelling Logan Morrison's name last night and Morrison's picture on the scoreboard has a blue/orange background, just like endaround was talking about. Funny.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Maybe leaking this logo was to gauge reaction to it ...?

Its a marketing ploy. Make up one really bad logo and "accidentally" leak it. Then later you can come out with the "real" ok-looking logo (claiming the leak was of an alternate option).

Fans are so relieved that there are hearty congratulations all around.

At least, the Marlins fans could hope its like that anyway...

The "Marlins" lettering would look fine on a jersey — in something other than white, of course. It's not a fit for the rest of the logo, though.

I think the dark background is bothering me the most.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It's not like they can't alter the logo or font prior to next season. Maybe leaking this logo was to gauge reaction to it ...? But you shouldn't need public opinion to tell you that it's pretty lame.
Reminds me of the Leaders and Legends fiasco, yet they stuck with it for no apparent reason.

Yeah, that's a decent comparison. As others have said, for Marlins' fans sakes, I hope this isn't the finished product.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It looks like it was approved by a committee, where there were lots of ideas thrown around and nobody wanted to back down, so they just went with all of them.

Miami is a great vibrant, colorful city, so I like the vibrant colors in the "M". I also like how the fish has been updated to be sleek and futuristic.

But I don't like the shape of the "M". It looks like mountains, and there aren't any mountains in South Florida.

And the standard issue, all caps "MARLINS", with the generic curve. . .to me, that doesn't seem to go with the bright M.

But they didn't ask me.

Though I think I like some of it enough to buy it on a t-shirt, so that's good--if they're going for the middle-aged, pasty Milwaukeean demographic.

DocBucky]Did anyone else immediately think of this when they saw that color scheme?

Yes!

...and looking for a picture, before I realized I'd been beaten to it, I was surprised to find that one was only #10 in a list of "the 10 Ugliest Uniforms of All Time". I think the Marlins will be appearing on the next version of that, not sure who they will bump off the list, but it should not be that Astros one or this one:

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/815/028/whitesoxs2_display_image.jpg?1301271718

Did anyone else immediately think of this when they saw that color scheme?

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l248/ninetimesblue/ladies/astros/nolan.jpg

Yeah, that one and the original rainbow-esque Tampa Bay logo.

As a Florida native whose "prime" teenage years were in the days when MTV only played music videos (thus the name of the network), I had 2 other reactions to that ridiculous design & putrid color scheme:

1. They should be called the Miami Vice or the Miami Don Johnsons and work a little pink into it, too. And....

2. The color scheme was designed to sell well with entire lines of pastel golf shirts worn by affluent retirees of both genders at private Florida golf courses.

In other words, the logo & color scheme don't seem to have any roots in baseball, only trendy marketing which will be dated, vomited over, and otherwise totally passe´ in no time flat (see: D-backs, turquoise/copper/purple; Devil Rays, purple/rainbow; Mets, black).

(Side note: Because so many teams have adopted red into their color schemes, and because it would've looked more distinctive & still classy, I wished at the time & feel all the more strongly now that AZ would've left purple as their main color, which, with the present design, would look both cool & more unique than the red that's so prevalent these days.)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived