Brewer Fanatic

NLDS Matchup Preference

pebadger
Perfect scenario for me would be an ATL/STL play in game while the Brewers finish ahead of ARI for homefield advantage. I think most would prefer to play the Braves rather than the Dbacks in the 1st round but neither team scares me a lot. Obviously the Dbacks are playing good baseball but it seems to me at least that the Brewers just have the better team top to bottom; especially if we have homefield.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least the 'stros are throwing Wandy out there tonight. He gives them a 50/50 shot at winning this first one.

I'd much rather play the Braves in the first round...they are so vulnerable with their pitching woes. The DBacks are hot and have solid starting pitching.

Interesting that right now they have Gallardo slated for Wednesday...hopefully we can win the next two and get a Dbacks split so we can slide him to game 1 or 2.

Yeah, we did lose 4 of 7 against the D'Backs during the season, but I don't put much stock in that. I do think we're a better team. Not really scared of them like I am of the Cards and Phillies right now. The Phillies have the talent, and the Cards are red hot. But with the Cards likely winning the wild card, we avoid both so I think that's a good thing. Hoping for a battle in the NLCS with one of those teams. That being said, we have the best chance to get their by playing the banged up Braves so that's what I want.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I think I'd like to see the Brewers finish ahead of AZ and Atlanta winning a one game playoff against the Cardinals.

This. It would twist the knife in the hearts of Cards fans, plus (does anyone know where the playoff would be held?) it could result in extra traveling/less time off for the opponent.

The Phillies aren't exactly rolling right now, so it's not impossible that the Braves win some games in that series.

Yes, the Cards took the series against the Cubs, but it's not like they dominated them. They lost Friday, they should have lost 1-0 on Saturday (3 walks and a WP to score 2 runs in the 9th) and won 3-2 yesterday. Yes, Houston is just terrible, but they could take one in the series. The Cardinals haven't dominated the bad teams like they probably should be. Should be interesting.

I just want us to get homefield. Having the Braves hold on would be ideal, as they very vulnerable I think.

Yeah, the Cards will sweep the Astros for sure.
Sorry but they have a 50% chance at best of sweeping the Astros.
This is because you assume that the Cardinals have no ability to play above their regular performances with the season on the line.
Again with this magical clutch performance stuff? If a team or player has the ability to "play above their regular performance," then why don't they do it all the time?
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Yeah, the Cards will sweep the Astros for sure.

Vegas has only given the Cardinals slightly over a 60 percent chance of winning tonight. If you think they are going to sweep you should get some money out there, because you will easily triple it, at the least.

From a gambler's perspective, my guess is that if you bet against teams in 'must win' situations over the years, you would have cleaned house. Vegas almost certainly has.

So who would be the top 3 starters for ARI?

Kennedy

Hudson

Saunders

If I am right I really like our matchups with Grienke, Gallardo, and Marcum. Grienke/Gallardo against Kennedy in Game #1 is a pretty good matchup; after that the matchups would favor MIL IMO. It wouldn't be easy by any means though.

As for the Braves:

Hudson

Lowe

Beachy

Minor

Who knows how they would sort out there rotation but it could be said that we would have the best 3 starters in the series.

This is because you assume that the Cardinals have no ability to play above their regular performances with the season on the line.

Not even close. They have won 55% of games, so if that were the assumption, the odds of a sweep would be about 17% (0.55 x 0.55 x 0.55 = 16.6%).

To get a 50% chance of a sweep, they have to have almost an 80% chance of winning each game.

Idc what the statistical chances are of a Cardinals sweep, I just think it'll happen. The Cards are hot and have been playing great baseball, they need to win to get in, and the Astros are the worst team in baseball. It adds up. Pressure is on the Braves to take 2 against the Phillies.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

(does anyone know where the playoff would be held?)

I am pretty sure BA mentioned it would be in St. Louis.

I thought they determined the best site based on travel (i.e in a random world where the dodgers and cardinals tied...if the dodgers last game was in chicago and the cardinals ended at home, they wouldn't send them to LA for the tiebreaker game). And if there really isn't an advantage to either site, they go with a coinflip. Maybe they already did a coinflip and STL won.

Also, I think it's pretty clear that the Braves are the worst team in playoff contention. Obviously all the brewers can do is keep on winning and get homefield....but even then we should be pulling for the Braves. I don't doubt their ability to beat the DBacks....but the Braves at the moment are just not a very good team. Their hitting is even worse than usual and the staff is banged up/worn down. Part of me is saying this so I get game(s) in Atlanta, but it really is the best matchup.

(does anyone know where the playoff would be held?)

I am pretty sure BA mentioned it would be in St. Louis.

Yes a one game playoff would be in St. Louis. Instead of doing a coin flip like they've done in the past, they now go by season record according this article on the MLB website: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110926&content_id=25220606&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

I would prefer to play the Braves, but I just really want to avoid the Phillies in the first round. Obviously, we need to beat out ARZ for the 2nd seed or STL needs to win the wild card to avoid them. I don't know how to feel about the DBacks. Kennedy has been tremendous this year and they beat us 2/3 in Milwaukee. On the other hand, we've played well in ARZ.

Archived