Brewer Fanatic

NLDS Matchup Preference

pebadger
You know, with St. Louis closing in in the wildcard race, I think I'm going to start rooting for them. I think of all the possible opponents for Philly, they're the ones who have the best chance of taking them down. The Cards have owned the Phils recently. And a Milwaukee-St. Louis championship series would be legendary. Both teams could conceivably kill each other. And by "kill each other", I literally mean enough players might die in bench-clearing brawls that by game seven neither team will be able to field a full squad.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am getting more optimistic about all of the matchups; The Phils are struggling all of a sudden, the D-Backs hot streak appears to be over, and the Braves are just so banged up right now. I still would prefer to host the Braves in the 1st round if I had to choose. But the longer the Phlis struggle the more confident I will be when/if we play them. Granted their pitching is awesome; but the offense is really old. If the Brewers had gotten any clutch hits at all last week we should have atleast split.

I still don't buy that STL is going to make it. Granted I wouldn't mind if they did though. If we meet in the NLCS ut would be pretty comparable to the Packers / Bears NFC Championship Game. It would be epic but I would be terrified of losing. We would have home field advantage in the series but the way the Cards are playing right now I would be pretty scared of them. Obvioulsy not as much as if we played the Phils though.

In short, I would rather play the Cards than the Phils in the NLCS, simply because of HOF. But if I needed another reason, the Brewers have had some success against the top of the Cards' rotation. As others have said, that would mean we play AZ in the NLDS, and I would rather play them than the Braves. Finally, as if watching the Brewers in the NLCS wouldn't be fun enough, playing the Cards would add even more juice.

By the way, I don't buy into who's hot/not right now. Phils have everything locked up, while the cards are fighting for their lives. As we learned recently with the Brewers, you just can't stay that hot forever.

I want no part of the Cardinals in the playoffs solely for the reason they are the team I hate out of all the contenders. I don't think I could stomach watching a Brewers Cardinals playoff series if they both made it that far. McCarver would be insufferable and the dread of somehow losing to the Cardinals in the playoffs and watching that team make it to the WS like that crappy 2006 team would totally ruin the postseason and this entire Brewers season.

I want no part of the Cardinals in the playoffs solely for the reason they are the team I hate out of all the contenders. I don't think I could stomach watching a Brewers Cardinals playoff series if they both made it that far. McCarver would be insufferable and the dread of somehow losing to the Cardinals in the playoffs and watching that team make it to the WS like that crappy 2006 team would totally ruin the postseason and this entire Brewers season.

I am freaking out over the prospect of STL making the playoffs. I have a sick feeling that we would end up facing them and have 0 confidence in us beating them. Not only are they the hottest team in MLB right now, but I have said in the past and firmly believe their lineup 1-8 is better than the Brewers. Also, the TLR factor. He could out-manage RR in his sleep. I want ATL to hold on to the WC badly. The only thing worse than losing a playoff series is losing a playoff series vs the hated Cardinals.

I know that conventional baseball wisdom tells us that LaRussa can out-manage anybody, but the reality is that he lets his emotions get the best of him, and that seems to rub off on his team. Maybe it's all a "show," but if the Brewers maintain the high ground and just play the game, I could see the Cardinals essentially beating themselves. Against the Brewers, the Cardinals simply lose their marbles.

I am really starting to believe the first round will be:

Cards @ Phills - I think the cards have a shot to go undefeated through the end of the regular season. They play the Mets today, who has give up leads late twice. Then they play the cubs, but at St. Louis. I get the rivalry, but maybe the cubs take 1? After the cubs they play the 102 loss Astros.

Dbacks @ Brewers - Based on opponents again, I would much rather play the Marlins / Pirates than the Giants / Dodgers. (Even though the Dbacks miss out on Kereshaw as he pitches Sunday vs the padres - booooo). So in theory, the crew should handle business and finish in front of the dbacks. but you still have to play the games ...

So there you have it. If the Brewers make the playoffs and advance past the NLDS, what does it really matter if it is the Phillies or Cardinals? Last I checked they are both really good. Philly has better pitching and the cards better hitting. In all honesty, I would rather play the cards.

I understand being concerned about playing a hot Cards team, but that's emotion talking. Phillies would be tougher opponent. Consider that in a Phillies/Brewers match-up, the Philles would have the better starting pitcher EVERY GAME. Plus they have a better lineup top to bottom.

On the other hand, the Cards would be no push-over but we've played them enough and beat them enough to prove we can hang with them.

Well, Hanson had a set back today in his instructional league start, so he won't start the regular season finale or in the first round of the playoffs. Without him and Jurrjens, we should have no trouble beating them first round with home field. I am firmly in favor of playing them first round now. Hopefully they hold off the Cards though.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Well, Hanson had a set back today in his instructional league start, so he won't start the regular season finale or in the first round of the playoffs. Without him and Jurrjens, we should have no trouble beating them first round with home field. I am firmly in favor of playing them first round now. Hopefully they hold off the Cards though.

Today's win by the braves and loss by the cards almost clinches that. They now have a 3 game lead with 5 to play.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Today's win by the braves and loss by the cards almost clinches that. They now have a 3 game lead with 5 to play.

...and 2 days later, it's almost like it is the Cardinals wild card slot to lose. One game behind and they are going to Houston, while Atlanta goes to Philadelphia.

I think I'd like to see the Brewers finish ahead of AZ and Atlanta winning a one game playoff against the Cardinals.

The Brewers seem to have problems with young pitchers they have not seen before. If I were the Braves I would make sure Minor pitches at leas tone of the first three games.

The Brewers already beat up on Minor this year.

Not to mention this idea has been debunked multiple times. People just remember the bad games against young pitchers and forget the games where we torch them.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The Brewers seem to have problems with young pitchers they have not seen before. If I were the Braves I would make sure Minor pitches at leas tone of the first three games.

The Brewers already beat up on Minor this year.

Not to mention this idea has been debunked multiple times. People just remember the bad games against young pitchers and forget the games where we torch them.
They also seem to forget when Brewers like Steve Woodard

http://www.baseball-refer...01&t=p&year=1997

and Chris Saenz

http://www.baseball-refer...01&t=p&year=2004

..do it to other teams.

If the final game of the regular season is known to be meaningless before it starts, here's the lineup I'd put out there:

RF Logan Schafer

2B Craig Counsell

3B Taylor Green

1B Prince Fielder

C George Kottaras

RF Mark Kotsay

CF Carlos Gomez

SS Josh Wilson

SP Michael Fiers

I'm starting Prince so he can play all 162 games and so he can have that final regular season game as a Brewer, though he could exit at some point. Also, if Braun is just a hair behind for the NL BA title, then I start him.

The Braves are going to blow it. Their next three games are against the Phillies. The Cards' next three games are against... the Astros. Ugh.

Yup. The Cards are as good as in at this point. Would not be surprised in the least if they are able to knock off the Phillies. They're playing great baseball.

Yeah, the Cards will sweep the Astros for sure. Then Atlanta has to win 2 against Philly and Lee, Oswalt, Hamels to force a playoff. Don't like their chances. I think their only hope is that the Cards somehow lose a game in that series and they get a one-game playoff.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived