Brewer Fanatic

Fielder: This is probably the last year in Milwaukee

berniebrewer4life

No real shocker, but he said this to Brian Anderson the other day, for a segment that will be aired on TBS on sunday.

"I'm signed for this year, but being real about it, it is probably the last year."

Braun was asked about it, and basically said it's a business, guys earn a right to be free agent, blah blah blah.

So any thoughts? I think we all expected this, but for him to say this in the middle of the playoff hunt, i think it's kind of surprising.

http://sportsillustrated....f=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather he say, "I'll worry about that in the off season. I'm worried about making and playing well in the playoffs right now"

Seriously, don't these guys take a media relations class?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I heard Anderson mention this earlier. This is the biggest bombshell since K-Rod said he was upset about not getting saves. Is Boras in town or something? In other news, water is wet and the Brewers bats go into hibernation annually on or around September 1. In all honesty, my guess is there were some behind the scenes negotiations that went nowhere in the past few weeks.

Community Moderator

I'm surprised he said it. But I applaud him for his honesty and I think Prince has a right to give a straight answer instead of the usual BS. Everyone knows he's not coming back, including Melvin, Roenicke, the rest of the team, etc. etc.

We all know he's thinking about the contract. Who wouldn't be in that situation? He has been thinking about it the whole year. If I was him, I would personally be terrified of injuring myself. We all know that part of the reason he wants to play all 162 games is to silence doubts about his health. So let him say what he wants.

Don't read too much into this.

I never fault a guy for doing what he thinks is best for himself and his family. And the candor and honesty is appreciated.

He's been a terrific Brewer and seems like a great fellow.

I'll be sad to see him go, though I hope he comes back for the ring ceremony.

We all knew this was the case anyway. It's just something that he shouldn't've said at this point in the season. I wouldn't have a problem if he said that the day our season ends. Right now, it doesn't make much sense. I get that he was honest, but like some people said he should learn how to talk to the media.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

This is not the right to time to say that. To me it looks like he has quite on the season. Right now To me this team looks dead and doesn't care if they win or lose. I would not surprise me if they missed the playoffs and truthfully I am not sure i want them to, since most likely that will have to play the Phillie's

It already seems like the national media is trying to blow this story up, which seems a little odd because it's been pretty clear that's where things were headed, even if he was dodging the question for most of the year. If Braun's reaction is any indication, it's far from a distraction. The guys understand it's a business.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Sick of the media being blamed for the Krod and Prince comments. Sorry, but like it or not it's news when KRod says the Brewers deceived him. It's the media's job to ask Prince about next year. he could have answered like he has 1,000 times before. "I'm focused on winning a WS right now." or "I'm concetrating on THIS season, trying to win a pennant." That's not media speak, i would hope it's the truth. There's a time to temper Brewers' fans expectations, he can do that starting the day after the Brewers are eliminated.

It already seems like the national media is trying to blow this story up, which seems a little odd because it's been pretty clear that's where things were headed, even if he was dodging the question for most of the year. If Braun's reaction is any indication, it's far from a distraction. The guys understand it's a business.

Yea, i see no reason at all that this would become a distraction given the players aren't stupid and already understood the contract situation of Prince. Fielder leaving after the season is no surprise to anyone, be it players or fans. Prince saying it publicly i'm sure was met by a bunch of yawns in the clubhouse.

It doesn't bother me that he said it, but this seems like something that didn't need to come out right now. The whole team is not hitting right now, and on a cold streak as far as wins and losses. Wrong time to put this out to the fans, in my view. Most of us "die hards" knew there is basically a 0% chance he returns next year, but I'm sure a good portion of the more casual fans were holding out some hope. This isn't going to make Fielder look good in their view.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It certainly seems like a weird time to start talking about this. Everybody on the planey probably knows the same thing that Fielder knows so it isn't like this exactly news; just seems weird that he starts talking about during a pennant race with only a handful of games left.

Fielder's time in Milwaukee helped revive the franchise. The fans did everything they could to keep him. They showed their love for the big guy by showing up in droves in one of the smallest markets in the game in the midst of a terrible economy. They wore his jerseys, they cheered him with all they had. It will indeed be a sad day when he leaves.

I still have faith in Attanasio to make a good faith effort. But with the way baseball is structured, it's against all odds.

Archived