Brewer Fanatic

2011-09-13 Rockies (Rogers) at Brewers (Greinke) - [Brewers win 2-1 (11) - Braun walkoff brings magic #8]

pretendastronaut
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if anyone saw this but the Pirates had a run taken off the board tonight when the umpire ruled a guy left early on a sac fly. Replays showed he clearly did NOT. I'm sure it evens out but that's a horrid call and changes the whole game. And it goes in the Cardinals favor.

Dear Saito, K Rod and Axford: please, please have some quick, scoreless innings here and let's find a way to win this game. Please and thank you.

I agree that McGehee and Yuni should be riding the pine, but I disagree that it will make a significant difference offensively. Marginal at best, not enough to change the fortunes of the club.

What do you base that opinion on? Green has made more solid contact than McGehee in the little time that we have been able to see him, and Yuni has proven that he is not going to improve at the plate at all so you may as well give JHJ a chance. I just disagree with the claim that it will not make a significant difference offensively.

When is that ever called? This ump has been awful tonight (even if technically that's a correct call).
I thought it was a reasonable call. He definitely was far enough off the line that it prevented the catcher from making the throw.

I wonder if Roenicke's eternally optimistic approach has something to do with the poor fundamentals on this team.

I don't think he was off the line. He just wasn't in that nice little painted box they have down the line. To me, that's like the 3rd base coaching box. It's there but nobody ever really uses it and it's almost never enforced.
A coach in the 3rd base box doesn't cause a runner to be safe. How often do you see a ball hitting a player going to first? It's very rare, and when it does happen, I'd be shocked if the statistical rate is 'almost never' on balls that hit runners who are out of the baseline. I took a picture of it, and I'll upload it, but he was clearly out.

And justifying the umpire is awful because he didn't make a bad call is really backwards. I'd rather have umpires try to call a fair game than doing 'make-up' calls to even things up.

I agree that McGehee and Yuni should be riding the pine, but I disagree that it will make a significant difference offensively. Marginal at best, not enough to change the fortunes of the club.

Green hitting with runners on 1st and 2nd with nobody out instead of McGehee wouldn't be a big change? Obviously you can't just predict a HR or even a hit but I think he's shown that he's a definite upgrade over McGehee at this point. Not to mention he probably wouldn't have made that error that McGehee did, leading to an increased pitch count for Greinke.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I thought it was a reasonable call. He definitely was far enough off the line that it prevented the catcher from making the throw.

I wonder if Roenicke's eternally optimistic approach has something to do with the poor fundamentals on this team.

I don't think he was off the line. He just wasn't in that nice little painted box they have down the line. To me, that's like the 3rd base coaching box. It's there but nobody ever really uses it and it's almost never enforced.
A coach in the 3rd base box doesn't cause a runner to be safe. How often do you see a ball hitting a player going to first? It's very rare, and when it does happen, I'd be shocked if the statistical rate is 'almost never' on balls that hit runners who are out of the baseline. I took a picture of it, and I'll upload it, but he was clearly out.

And justifying the umpire is awful because he didn't make a bad call is really backwards. I'd rather have umpires try to call a fair game than doing 'make-up' calls to even things up.

Technically it would be a no-call, not a bad call.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Community Moderator
What do you base that opinion on? Green has made more solid contact than McGehee in the little time that we have been able to see him, and Yuni has proven that he is not going to improve at the plate at all so you may as well give JHJ a chance. I just disagree with the claim that it will not make a significant difference offensively.
I agree with everything you said, but Green and Hairston are still not going to be major run producers. The 1-5 in the Brewers' lineup wins games, the 6-8 hitters contribute. Absolutely they should put the best lineup out every night. But I guess I don't think that the fate of the 2011 Milwaukee Brewers rests on that decision.

I bet there is a 99.9% chance that Yuni either swings at one of the first two pitches!

What I don't understand about his approach is how nobody has gotten through his head that no pitcher is going to bother throwing him anything hittable the first couple of pitches, everyone knows he hacks away. At best he's hoping for a mistake pitch, and he's not watching for a mistake pitch.

It's situations like these that should get some of the blame placed on the top of the lineup as well. Across the board RISP has been problematic, and not just the bottom of the lineup. Every play has been bad batting in runs the last couple of series. Yuni literally had 40% of the Brewers RBIs last series. I'm fine with him grabbing 4 RBIs in a series. I'm not going to blame him more than the top 5 hitters of the lineup (yes including Casey) for not producing more runs in the series.

And I do think it's a lateral move between him and Hariston in terms of RISP. Yuni batting in front of Casey managed to get 4 RBIs in the Phillies series, and Hariston in 99 AB has managed to get the same amount of RBI's. He's been really bad with RISP, like the rest of the team. I don't think it would be a downgrade, but I don't think it'd be an upgrade either.

Archived