Brewer Fanatic

2011-09-13 Rockies (Rogers) at Brewers (Greinke) - [Brewers win 2-1 (11) - Braun walkoff brings magic #8]

pretendastronaut
Our local media has not put the heat on RR enough for playing those two seemingly everyday. Keep putting the numbers in front of RR and ask how he can justify it. I'd love to hear his answers.

Veteran managers have been questioned for much less.

Local "writers" seem more interested in the increase in their Twitter follower numbers, in the wake of the Brewers success and subsequent national attention, instead of actually writing anything of substance.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When is that ever called? This ump has been awful tonight (even if technically that's a correct call).

How does Morgan clearly running outside the baseline make an umpire awful for making a correct call?

And I'm not saying that Morgan did the wrong thing. If he runs in the baseline, chances are, it doesn't hit him and he's out. If he runs outside, the first baseman could lose sight of it and the umpire could let it go.

When is that ever called? This ump has been awful tonight (even if technically that's a correct call).

How does Morgan clearly running outside the baseline make an umpire awful for making a correct call?

How many times do you see that called unless the runner is way into the grass? He was only marginally out of the baseline, that goes without being called more times than not. And with 2 outs and Braun coming up that's a huge call. We really not playing well in any facet of the game right now. Even if we win this game (which I'm doubting), we certainly have done our best to lose or make it as hard as possible.

Community Moderator
While I understand the frustration about some of Roenicke's decisions, the Brewers' problem right now is a lack of situational hitting. The #6 and #7 hitter aren't helping, but the 5 best hitters on the team aren't doing anything either. Green isn't in because he is coming in for Weeks. So the only move that would be of any benefit is Hairston instead of Betancourt--which probably wouldn't have affected the current 1-0 score.

I've learned to pause the game whenever Betancourt comes up to bat, wait a couple minutes, then hit "live." If something good happens, I'll go back and watch, but in the (very realistic) chance that he makes an out, I figure I'll save my blood pressure level by not physically watching his at bat. I recommend it.
You really need a couple minutes for YunE to swing at the first pitch?

Green isn't in because he is coming in for Weeks. So the only move that

would be of any benefit is Hairston instead of Betancourt--which

probably wouldn't have affected the current 1-0 score.

Starting Hairston over Betancourt isn't the only move that would have some benefit. Green can start at 3B and slide over to 2B later in the game. I think moves like these are exactly the type of moves that would effect a 1-0 game. They wouldn't matter much in a 10-0 game.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

And I'm not saying that Morgan did the wrong thing. If he runs in the baseline, chances are, it doesn't hit him and he's out. If he runs outside, the first baseman could lose sight of it and the umpire could let it go.
Because he missed a call at home and his strike zone has been bad. Add on top of that a call that is almost never made and I think he's been terrible.
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

How many times do you see that called unless the runner is way into the grass? He was only marginally out of the baseline, that goes without being called more times than not. And with 2 outs and Braun coming up that's a huge call. We really not playing well in any facet of the game right now. Even if we win this game (which I'm doubting), we certainly have done our best to lose or make it as hard as possible.

When was the last time you've even seen that happen? I don't know if it hit Morgan, but it damn well could have, and definitely affected the play. I think the process is pretty simple for the umpire: was he safe? yes. was it close to hitting him or did it hit him? yes. Was he in the baseline? no.

Argue with an umpire for making a bad call or missing a tag... but it's silly to complain about an umpire for making a correct call.

I thought it was a reasonable call. He definitely was far enough off the line that it prevented the catcher from making the throw.

I wonder if Roenicke's eternally optimistic approach has something to do with the poor fundamentals on this team.

While I understand the frustration about some of Roenicke's decisions, the Brewers' problem right now is a lack of situational hitting. The #6 and #7 hitter aren't helping, but the 5 best hitters on the team aren't doing anything either. Green isn't in because he is coming in for Weeks. So the only move that would be of any benefit is Hairston instead of Betancourt--which probably wouldn't have affected the current 1-0 score.

As I mentioned earlier, Green should be starting at 3B and then move to 2B when Weeks comes out. So that would leave our best 6 hitters 1-6. Then Lucroy should hit 7 and Hairston 8. Boom, solid lineup.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

How many times does the ball actually hit the runner when they are inside the line like that? I bet it's called just about every time that happens. If it misses him and the 1B makes the play, obviously theres no call, and if it gets past the 1B maybe it doesn't get called. But if it hits the runner? The ump has to make that call. It doesn't forgive a crummy strike zone and weeks being safe, but it was a good and correct call.

I thought it was a reasonable call. He definitely was far enough off the line that it prevented the catcher from making the throw.

I wonder if Roenicke's eternally optimistic approach has something to do with the poor fundamentals on this team.

I don't think he was off the line. He just wasn't in that nice little painted box they have down the line. To me, that's like the 3rd base coaching box. It's there but nobody ever really uses it and it's almost never enforced.

How many times does the ball actually hit the runner when they are inside the line like that? I bet it's called just about every time that happens. If it misses him and the 1B makes the play, obviously theres no call, and if it gets past the 1B maybe it doesn't get called. But if it hits the runner? The ump has to make that call. It doesn't forgive a crummy strike zone and weeks being safe, but it was a good and correct call.

That's why I said he's been awful, even if it was correct.

Archived