Brewer Fanatic

Streaming Video Services

thebruce44

Has anyone used the paid versions of Hulu (Hulu+) and Netflix? There's also a streaming service from Amazon.

I have Netflix and love using it on my PS3, but they recently changed their pricing structure so I'm interested in what else is out there. If Hulu+ offers more streaming options I would jump ship since that works on PS3 too.

I might sign up for a month to both to compare, but just curious if anyone had any input.

Hulu+ is really a pain to stream. Lots of the content is walled off from watching on the TV and it all still has ads. Amazon's streaming service isn't anywhere close to as easy to use or in depth as Netflix, but the $79 a year includes 2-day shipping on anything you buy from Amazon (and you actually get guest accounts so others can take advantage of the shipping part). So if you buy a lot of stuff there anyway you may give it a whirl. It too has a one month free trial.

We have been using the $7.99/mo "streaming only" Netflix subscription for a while and like it a lot. I just wish they would add some more classic older movies. Hard to complain about the cheap price and not having to mess with physical discs, though.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Netflix has trouble streaming HD on my 5MB connection. Unfortunately, I can't simply pick a lower quality; Netflix has to decide to do that on its own, and it might take several tries. It does offer a free month, though, so you have time to evaluate.

They used to allow several users to stream from the same account simultaneously, but they're cutting that out. That's too bad for families of more than one person.

Messing with physical disks is certainly a pain. I'd much rather stream or download.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yeah, for 8 bucks a month, there really isn't a good competitor to Netflix right now. I was doing the dvd/streaming package for 10 bucks, but when they made it 8 dollars for both, I dropped the DVDs.

Now, if there's something new that I want to watch, I can just grab that from the Red Box for a buck, and watch the older stuff on streaming netflix.

I dropped the streaming option and went to disc only from Netflix with their recent price changes. I found I rarely streamed anything from them since the streaming library was pretty weak. It seemed that every show my wife or I wanted I had to get the discs anyway and probably 75% of the movies we wanted were disc only as well. I know it all boils down to preferences but I won't pick the streaming option from Netflix until the library vastly improves. Now they will be losing the Starz content (shows and movies) in February so it looks like access to new movies will drop off again.

I just recently canceled Hulu+ after 2 months (first was free). I have Roku box to handle the streaming, and was disappointed that several of the shows I wanted to watch were deemed internet-only. There is an almost overwhelming selection of pure crap, so that was a bit of a mental drain for me. And the ads are just aggravating. I can't stress enough how much I hated Hulu+.

For Netflix, I'm satisfied enough to stick with the streaming only. Redbox will satisfy my fix for generic new-release crap, and we figure we can jet on down to Family Video for any essential catalog choices. I'm still infatuated with the convenience of Netflix's Instant Streaming options, 2 years in. Video quality is superb on my 10Mb connection. I'm satisfied with the content as is. It's by no means my only choice of entertainment and certainly worth the value for $8/mo. Losing the Starz content is a non-entity for me, as it was a lower quality video feed coupled with crappier choices in movies. I'm hopeful that the void caused by their departure will be filled by a stronger content provider.

I've thought about Hulu+ due to the Criterion titles, but haven't made the leap yet.

I think Netflix is screwing up, around 13 million of their subscribers have both DVD and Streaming plans and they like it because of the convenience (and pricing). Netflix has around 100,000 DVD titles and around 20,000 streaming titles and I think the combination of a deep library, quick access, and one stop shopping provided a good customer experience. Netflix is messing with it for a dream of streaming. While I agree that streaming is the future, I think the future Netflix envisions is a pipe dream. I don't see Warner Bros. bumping the ability to stream newer movies above HBO and VOD anytime soon. And, if they decide to do so, I don't see why Warner Bros. needs a middle man. At best, I see Netflix being a glorified TCM, lots of old (and great) content available for streaming, but not much of the big name newer stuff.

In the meantime, unlike Amazon, Walmart, etc., Netflix is messing with customer loyalty and making it less convenient for customers. Frankly, I think the fact that Netflix has a lot of customers using both services points out that they've forgotten what business they're in. They're in the movie and television show delivery service, not the streaming or DVD by mail service. And, frankly, the news hasn't been good on the streaming front for content delivery lately, especially with Netflix failing to cut a deal with Starz and looking like they'll lose a lot of content in February. I suspect that the latest news would have gone down better if Netflix had coupled it with announcements that they were adding and keeping content through new and extended deals, instead it's the opposite.

I don't know if there are great alternatives yet. And, if you use Netflix's streaming services on a regular basis, I can't recommend you switch to another service yet. However, apparently Dish Network/Blockbuster has some big announcement for streaming coming Friday. That will be interesting to see.

Can we all agree though that Qwikster is a terrible name? Did they pull it out of a hat?

Robert

I saw an article or opinion piece somewhere asking if the NFLX CEO just woke up in the middle of the night and came up with the idea of splitting the company and calling the DVD business Qwikster. The article questioned the CEO's comments that they put a lot of thought and effort into the idea since they haven't even bothered to obtain the twitter name @Qwikster which apparently is a pot smoking Elmo character and the website is just an under construction place holder. It seems NFLX has really jumped ahead of itself on trying to take their company to the next level and really underestimated how much they would tick of their customers.

Yeah, it really seems all slapped together without a plan.

I understand that streaming is likely the future of video instead of physical media. But, it certainly seems like Netflix is putting their future business model ahead of their current customers. Considering somewhere around 14 million households use the DVD service and the streaming service is still years away from replacing the current status quo, it seems premature to me. I expect I will replace my DVD plan with a streaming plan at some point, but considering bandwidth limitations, catalog availability, and streaming quality, I don't see that happening for at least several years. I suspect that I'm not alone. Especially since recent releases are where I expect most of the business is at.

And, frankly, I've never seen someone successfully implement the model of "we'll make service for customers worse now, so we'll be able to make it better in the future". Netflix's CEO has made it loud and clear that customer service is not their first priority at present, and the customers have shown they weren't just talk when they threatened to walk away. Now, Netflix hasn't done anything so awful that they can't recover, but it certainly seems to me that announcing price hikes and splitting off DVD service without any announcements of improved service and added streaming titles is asking for consumer pushback. Who would think that increasing the cost of a luxury item would cause demand to shrink?

Admittedly, I'll never give Blockbuster another cent. And I'm still giving Netflix/Qwikster my DVD money for now, their DVD catalog is still terrific, but the bloom is off the rose. And, perhaps we're going to look at the last few years as a golden age for media availability and value.

Robert

This just sucks because I finally got on the Netflix bandwagon last winter. I'm not sure if I will continue with them. Streaming is the future, but their selection isn't as massive as their DVD's. And there are times they stop streaming movies. I was watching Iron Man and stopped half way through. We went to finish the movie two days later to find it was no longer a streamed movie. We had to borrow the disk from a family member to watch the rest of it.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Admittedly, I'll never give Blockbuster another cent. And I'm still giving Netflix/Qwikster my DVD money for now, their DVD catalog is still terrific, but the bloom is off the rose. And, perhaps we're going to look at the last few years as a golden age for media availability and value.

Robert

Well Blockbuster isn't really Blockbuster anymore. Dish has taken over and will be rolling out a new streaming service in October. Given that Dish will have more muscle to bring to bear than the slimmed down Netflix they might also be able to get better content quicker. Netflix right now has whatever they are getting from the Epix deal and Starz until February and that's about it.

I find the whole "hunt for content" very annoying. Netflix streaming is pretty solid, but the library is too small. Then you have some shows on Hulu, others you can order on DVD trough Netflix. Then some new releases are available on TWC, others through Redbox. Now DirectTV will be joining the battle. I swear we go through this constantly on a Friday night. Let's see "movie x" and you spend a half hour online trying to figure out who has it and how it can be delivered.

Just seems odd we're in 2011, and there's not one or more sources with a virtually unlimited movie library.

Considering I spent the better parts of two decades hunting for Chimes at Midnight, I have to say we've all become spoiled. Granted, we're not at streaming nirvana yet, but I've seen many movies I've only vaguely read about in the last decade thanks to the digital revolution.

Robert

Archived