Brewer Fanatic

And you thought the Brewers were gripping - Red Sox

NYChez
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The Red Sox playoff odds peaked at 99.6% on Sept 3rd.

The Braves peaked at 99.2% on August 25th.

(I'm using coolstandings playoff odds, btw)

If you truly believe those odds, there's about a 1 in 10,000 chance that 2 teams in the same season will miss the playoffs after getting to 99%. So either the odds are wrong, or this won't happen again for another 9,870 years or so.

If you truly believe those odds, there's about a 1 in 10,000 chance that 2 teams in the same season will miss the playoffs after getting to 99%. So either the odds are wrong, or this won't happen again for another 9,870 years or so.

The odds were wrong, mostly because it based on assuming they were the same teams that got those records where injuries, especially in Atlanta's case, made that not even close to true. That said, the real odds were likely very close.

This is so hilarious after that ESPN Magazine cover from last week.

i seriously considered cancelling my subscription after that cover. i still may.

The funny thing is I cancelled my subscription back around January (had one year cheap with Insider) and they still send me the stupid thing. Probably a ploy to boost subscription numbers, I guess.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

When I talk to my friends and mention how much I cannot stand the Red Sox, they are somewhat surprised. They figure I would hate the Yankees more. Growing up in the late 70's and early 80's, the Yankees certainly topped the list because they were team that, except for once, often stood between the Brewers and postseason success. What turned it around? ESPN.

I do not remember the year, but the Red Sox had finished near the bottom of the AL East. It might have been 1997. They finished under .500 and were not a good team. Even though, Peter Gammons had the nerve to get on ESPN and proclaim that even though they finished fourth, he still felt they were the best team in the American League.

What?

Seriously?

Can't you take your freaking Red-Sox-Colored glasses off to see reality? I know he was also a beat writer for the Sox at the time, but puh-leeze! ESPN will favor the east coast and, especially, the Boston-area clubs. It would take quite a bit for me to cheer for any of those teams.

Oh yeah... the Boston Tea Cup Hockey Tournament sucks, too! ;-)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The odds were wrong, mostly because it based on assuming they were the same teams that got those records where injuries, especially in Atlanta's case, made that not even close to true. That said, the real odds were likely very close.
yeah, both Atlanta and Boston were totally decimated by injuries, but even then, it's an injury riddled Boston should still be able to better than 9 - 30 in their last 39 games. That might be the most epic collapse in history. I'm not *really* questioning the odds, the math is sound. It's just truly amazing that two teams with such odds had such utter and complete meltdowns, and one, Atlanta, had one while the team chasing them (the Cards) got insanely hot.

I opened this thread expecting the read some story about the Red Sox complaining about something. I thought maybe "gripping" was misspelled with one extra p and I was also thinking, isn't it the Cardinals that are the big gripers?

I'm still trying to get a handle on the use of the word in this context. By gripping, do you mean they are trying to "hold on" to the lead? It's more like they are losing their grip than actually gripping. Not worried though. I'm thinking sometime around the weekend of the 23th - 25th will be the clinching game.

I took the word gripping to mean suspenseful or keeping one on the edge of his seat.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Gripping = holding on way too tight.

Associated with golf, though I've heard it used in baseball and other sports as well. Just generally being too tense, or not able to relax enough to function under a pressure situation.

Exactly. Cougar lost his edge because he was holding on way too tight--aka "gripping." He was a good man though... still is a good man.

This is so hilarious after that ESPN Magazine cover from last week.

coinciding with the New England loss to Buffalo on Sunday, I thought the exact same thing. Well done!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived