Brewer Fanatic

Robin's 3000 hit

ilovebeer

Funny, my parents came to visit a couple weeks ago and my dad brought my old "I saw Robin Yount's 3000th hit" certificate along with the ticket stub.

That was a fun time. He needed three hits going into a three game homestand. I remember the games were on school nights, so I was shocked when my dad said he was taking my brother and I to all three. He said he wasn't going to screw up the chance to see history just because we had school the next day. My mom took a risk and decided to wait until the third game to go. As we all know, that worked out, as Yount got #3000 in the third game.

Funny, my parents came to visit a couple weeks ago and my dad brought my old "I saw Robin Yount's 3000th hit" certificate along with the ticket stub.

That was a fun time. He needed three hits going into a three game homestand. I remember the games were on school nights, so I was shocked when my dad said he was taking my brother and I to all three. He said he wasn't going to screw up the chance to see history just because we had school the next day. My mom took a risk and decided to wait until the third game to go. As we all know, that worked out, as Yount got #3000 in the third game.

As a kid, I managed to go to all three games as well. Without looking it up, I am pretty sure that he got one hit each night of the series to prolong the drama. What an awesome time and great memory. Being too young for '82 it's the loudest I can remember hearing County Stadium.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I managed to go to all three games as well.

As a poor college student, I only managed to make the first game. Saw hit 2,998, but they didn't hand out certificates for that. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I did see 3,000 live on TV.

I think I remember them selling "phantom" tickets the following week (along with the certificates). So it's one of those games that 80,000 people claim to have been at, lol. I have pics from a roll of film taken that night as our seats were pretty close to first base and the post-hit celebration.

One thing that I remember from the first two nights is waiting in line after the game to buy tickets for the next night's game. The lines were pretty long, which was pretty much unheard of back in those days. The night of the hit (Wednesday after Labor day I believe), I was way up on the first base upper grandstand with a good view of the traffic gridlock. I'm pretty sure the game didn't start until 8 because Selig was stuck in traffic after just having been named interim commissioner.

Your right, the game did start late, that day it rained hard most of the day and around 6pm the rain had stop but they did not take the tarp off the Field until just after 7pm, I still remember that night like it was yesterday, I sat in section 19 row 5 seat 2. Robin's hit came at 948pm. They had a lead into the late innings the bullpen blew it and they lost, that was a big lost since they only finished a few games out of first that season.

Archived