Brewer Fanatic

Rule 5 Protection -- Gindl, Manzanillo, Wheeler, and Kjeldgaard get added to the 40-man roster

Mass Haas
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kjeldgaard makes sense. I read that MILB write up on our top players last season at each position and it seems like Nichols and Cole like him a lot. For his size and power he is actually a pretty athletic guy. He is older but he is also still developing as a hitter after starting out as a pitcher. Every year he has got better. He k's waaaay to much much but he is kind of that Russell the Muscle type hitter. He will swing and miss a lot but if he makes contact your in trouble.

Always liked Gindl, hopefully he can prove a lot of people wrong but not sold on him being better than Hart at any point in his career. Once he starts hitting 25 HRs a season and driving in a bunch of runs I could change my mind. I see him as a .260 to .270 hitter who will hit 10-15 HRs and drive in some runs but I don't see All-Star potential. He could be very servicable though. He never has been a guy who just goes on tears, usually he is consistantly good but never has wow moments

Caleb Gindl Age 22 AAA ball .307 BA, .390 OBP, .472 SLG, .862 OPS, 15 HR, 60 RBI

Corey Hart Age 22 AAA ball .281 BA, .342 OBP, .485 SLG, .827 OPS, 15 HR, 67 RBI

The biggest thing that stands out to me me in comparing the 2 is Gindl's OBP: Gindl's career minor league OBP is .378 ---

Caleb Gindl Age 22 AAA ball .307 BA, .390 OBP, .472 SLG, .862 OPS, 15 HR, 60 RBI

Corey Hart Age 22 AAA ball .281 BA, .342 OBP, .485 SLG, .827 OPS, 15 HR, 67 RBI

The biggest thing that stands out to me me in comparing the 2 is Gindl's OBP: Gindl's career minor league OBP is .378 ---

Looking at the stats, the one thing that I wonder about is Gindl's power numbers. Hart played AAA in Indianapolis in the International League, while Gindl played at Nashville in the Pacific Coast League. How much, if any, inflationary effect is there to Gindl's numbers from playing games in the low humidity, high elevation parks out west?

Not saying that Gindl won't be a very good major league player, just that his SLG might project to be less than Hart's but with a better OBP, as The Truth notes from Gindl's minor league career stats.

Gindl had pretty severe H/R slugging splits this past season. He clearly has been a more patient MiLB hitter than Hart, but I doubt Gindl projects to OPS close to what Hart has done at the MLB level. His AVG/OBP split will undoubtedly be higher, but he might not be able to match Corey's OBP production in a full-time role.

Gindl & Green are pretty similar bats -- good platoon options, but probably not full-time MLB-caliber.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Kjeldgaard makes no sense. Is there really a team out there willing to give a 25 man spot to a guy who had a decent age 25 A+ season at 1B/LF? I just don't see it. And now he's likely a #1 cut if the 40 man gets crowded meaning that now another team just needs a 40 man space to get him. Wheeler is in the same boat though at least the chance he might be used in Milwaukee in 2012 is greater so the cost isn't quite as high.

Gindl has nowhere near Green's power. And I think you're selling Green a bit short as just a platoon guy, he adjusted mightily to LH pitching in AAA.

I don't think you're right about Gindl's power -- give him two more full seasons at AAA and I feel pretty confident he'd put up comparable power numbers to what Green did this season. However, I will admit I'm mostly just assuming Green won't be an effective bat against MLB lefties.

22 year old corey hart still looked like a teenager---he's a giant and he had not grown into his frame yet---

22 year old Caleb gindl is as big as he is really going to be---

i mean, statistics are cool, but corey's got 8 inches on Caleb---that's where the extra power has come from...i know it's easy to dismiss that, but it cannot be forgotten in these comparisons

watching corey swing in huntsville when he was 21, it was clear that he was nowhere near maxed out---he is now---and we see what that meant...but don't just look at his stats and gindl's and think someone sooo much smaller than corey will hit for as much power as him in the majors

I think the thing I don't understand is why do you showcase Meadows for every scout in baseball in the AFL then don't protect him when he throws really well(outside of walks). To me that makes no sense and think someone will take a shot with him. Bad deciding not adding him in my opinion

To me Wooten should be a lock, if not, a team would be dumb for not taking a chance on him. I believe he could stick. His arm will be even more healthy in 2012 and think he is a top tier reliever in our system. Remember the Braddock Wotten combo a couple years ago....just sick. Has great stuff, not a flamethrower or anything but a smart pitcher with command of multiple pitches.

Gindl and Manzanillo have about a 99.99999% chance.

I think Meadows or Merklinger could be added. They are on the bubble.

Anundsen should be safe. Thankfully he is healthy, got his confidence back, and can finally start working way back up through system. Hard to image a team taking a flyer on him but....same could have been said about Rosario last season

Gindl, Manzanillo, Wooten, & Meadows

I agree that I'd have liked to see Wooten added to the 40 man roster, but to suggest he's got "great stuff," as a reliever is a bit ridiculous with all due respect. I simply don't believe a late inning reliever can have "great stuff," if he throws in the upper 80's unless he has a GREAT-GREAT secondary pitch such as Hoffman and or Rivera's cutter. And hell, Rivera still throws 95 while averaging 93 or so.
Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The biggest shocker was Wooten. I would think there's 100% certainty he gets taken.

I like the Brock pick due to the fact that he has something nobody else in our system can match...raw power.

I like the discussion of Gindl vs Hart. I've mentioned before that Hart's awful defense--along with Gindl's OBP--makes it likely a neutral switch. As for SLG stats and splits, the offensive parks in the league are in the west.

Gindl's road slugging stats being so much higher than his home SLG certainly points to those Western parks affecting things. I still think he's going to 2011TaylorGreen the PCL next season, but that's just a hunch, & as of right now he certainly has a lot of questions left about just how much power he has at the plate.

They usually pick up a guy like that before spring training for AAA, he wouldn't necessarily need to be a 40 man addition though. Unless you mean draft a SS in the rule 5 draft, in which case I would be surprised considering you can pick up defensive SS who can't hit at all pretty easily.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

in which case I would be surprised considering you can pick up defensive SS who can't hit at all pretty easily.

The Brewers have to look at all avenues for adding talent. If there is a guy out there that is an improvement on what we have, go for it. Especially at the cost of $50k (or simply losing $25k if you have to send him back). Hopefully you draft that guy as option B (or C) and not option A for your starting SS, but...

And given that the Brewers will be at the end of the draft list, chances are there won't be much available...

• 3 weeks later...

Rule 5 this morning! Couldn't miss this!

McCalvy / Haudricourt tweeted last night that the Brewers expect one of their players to be plucked. Below is the list of Brewer-eligibles. It certainly will be a pitcher if so.

With no LH relievers on the 40-man roster save for Zach Braddock (and a potential non-tender in Manny Parra), it was surprising that the Brewers (with plenty of room) didn't protect either of LHP's Daniel Meadows or the aptly named loogy Lucas Lester Luetge. I know RHP Rob Wooten has his Rule 5 predictors here, but I think you'll see one or both of the two lefty's selected. Both southpaws have fantastic size, and Luetge has the Rice pedigree to go along with his excellent recent vs. LH split.

Congratulations Brock Kjeldgaard on your 40-man roster placement, but was any team going to carry Brock in 2012? Would hate to lose either of the two relievers predicted, especially when room was available on the 35-man roster (36 when you include suspended Mark Rogers). Why showcase Meadows in the AFL if you're not going to protect him? Last I saw, eight MLB clubs are ineligible to select, their 40-man rosters are full.

Current AAA players --

IF/OF Erick Almonte

C Patrick Arlis

RHP Donovan Hand

LHP Daniel Meadows

Current AA Players --

RHP Michael Bowman

RHP Darren Byrd

IF Matt Cline

OF Lee Haydel

LHP Lucas Luetge

LHP Daniel Merklinger