Brewer Fanatic

Ruben Tejada

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I want to throw out a discussion of Mets infielder Ruben Tejada, who may be available if the Mets resign Reyes. However, if Jose Reyes leaves the Mets, then Tejada would be needed to play SS - and the discussion would be ended.

So lets assume Reyes resigns with the Mets. Is Tejada an option for the Brewers at SS in 2012? We saw the kid last month, and he looked like he had a good glove. But how good? What are the reports on him? Anyone seen him play more than a few games?

Tejada has no power (0 HR, only 13 XBH in 250 ABs), but he has hit for some average (.278) and gotten on base (.364) in 2011. His minor league stats show the same thing. Little to no power, decent BA, and a good walk rate. He is only 21, so he might develop some punch, but I don't know. Gotta like that a kid that young can show good patience at the plate.

Of course, the Mets might just move Tejada to 2B if they like him a lot. But his glove might be wasted there. I don't know much about Justin Turner, the guy who has gotten a lot of the ABs at 2B this year for them. Or if they have a young guy they like that plays the position.

Would the Crew be interested if he was available? What would it take to get him? Even with Reyes, will the Mets just move him to 2B?

This is a guy I'd love for Milwaukee to get. From what I saw when we played the Mets, he plays good defense at short. A .364 OBP as a 21 year old is pretty good, even if his slugging is way down. Doesn't strike out much. Ok walk rate. I think he'd be a great addition. He could probably hit 8th, moving Lucroy up to 7th and would solidify the position for a few years. He is someone I'd consider trading Randy Wolf for (probably with the understanding Milwaukee pays most of Wolf's salary).

This is a guy I'd love for Milwaukee to get. From what I saw when we played the Mets, he plays good defense at short. A .364 OBP as a 21 year old is pretty good, even if his slugging is way down. Doesn't strike out much. Ok walk rate. I think he'd be a great addition. He could probably hit 8th, moving Lucroy up to 7th and would solidify the position for a few years. He is someone I'd consider trading Randy Wolf for (probably with the understanding Milwaukee pays most of Wolf's salary).
I'd consider that deal but I wouldn't pay any of Wolf's salary. There isn't much quality at all in the FA pitching market. Teams that need starters are going to have to deal to get it and guys like Wolf who have been productive at a reasonable cost are going to be in demand.

A Tejada for Wolf deal is exactly the kind of deal Melvin should be looking at this offseason. Yeah you have to break up the rotation, but it appears as though there are some decent options. Peralta and Fiers obviously. Maybe even Marco Estrada. And who knows, if Mark Rogers comes back in spring at 100% maybe he impresses. It was carpal tunnel syndrom, not a major shoulder or elbow injury. But assuming the Mets pay all of Wolf's salary and Bentancourt's option is not picked up, that's a ton of money saved. They could even sign a pitcher in free agency if they wanted, though I'd rather go with Fiers or Peralta.

Sure seems to me a young SS would have a ton more value than an older SP with only a year left on his deal. I'd expect to give younger talent, and be rebuffed anyway, as the Mets seem likely just to move him to 2B for a few years.

I assume the Mets would counter offer for Peralta.

The Mets just dumped salary. If they resign Reyes they will be in no position to take on salary.
Yeah, the recent word is that the Mets want to cut payroll from $140 million to $100-110. They say they still want Reyes. As noted above, that means they aren't going to be able to take on salary. I assume they'll want young players. Not to mention it's Wolf for one year - considering the team probably won't be thinking contender, it doesn't make sense.

I'm just not sure what Tejada would cost in trade. Looking at some old prospect lists, such as from John Sickels, Tejada is a C+ or B- type talent. His obvious lack of power is going to limit his upside. He's had some modest success this year, but this isn't Lawrie-type talent we're talking about. I was thinking more like a deal for a guy like Logan Schafer. The mets might need a CF (Pagan was pretty mediocre last year, and is in line to make upwards of $5 million) next year.

Not to mention it's Wolf for one year - considering the team probably won't be thinking contender, it doesn't make sense.
There is a team option for 2013 of $10M (buyout $1.5M, so net $8.5M cost). If he pitches like he has this year in 2012, that option will have value.

Not to mention it's Wolf for one year - considering the team probably won't be thinking contender, it doesn't make sense.
There is a team option for 2013 of $10M (buyout $1.5M, so net $8.5M cost). If he pitches like he has this year in 2012, that option will have value.
good point. something we forget. is wolf at 2 and $20 million worth it to someone? i'm not a fan of trading wolf at this time. I think he can add strong value in the #4 slot, and i don't really know if we have guys ready to replace him. Still, his value will be high this off season. and he's not getting any younger.

If we aren't able to sign Marcum and Greinke to extensions, we may want to exercise Wolf's option. A year ago, we were willing to trade any of our prospects for a decent SP, so I don't want to go the other direction unless we're absolutely certain we could fill Wolf's role. Plus, as jericho said, the Mets won't want to add salary.

If Tejada is indeed a B-/C+ SS, I would think we'd be able to come up with comperable talent from our minor league system. I would think it would be in the Mets' best interest to let Reyes go and take the draft picks, but I'm not subject to the NYC media. If they are willing to trade a good glove/high OBP 21-year-old SS to us, I'd certainly try to make a deal. If they're worried about 2B, maybe we offer a comperable prospect (B-/C+ rating) and "sweeten" the deal with Farris and play up his good defense and 70 SB season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

A Tejada for Wolf deal is exactly the kind of deal Melvin should be looking at this offseason.

I assume the Mets would counter offer for Peralta.

Ok, so what about Fiers then? I don't know what Tejada is worth, but from the sounds of it, Peralta would be too much. And Wolf probably costs too much. Would Fiers a fair trade?

Archived