Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thurs. 9/8 -- Helena falls, 2-1; See You Next April, Link Report Followers!

Mass Haas

Thursday's Daily Menu:

Nashville: Season complete; 71-73 record, 3rd place finish in the division, nine games back; actually, tied for 6th best record in 16-team league

Huntsville: Season complete; 64-73 record, 8th best record in the 10-team league

Brevard County: Season complete; 62-76 record, 11th best record in the 12-team league; 35-33 in the second half, however

Wisconsin: Season complete; 67-72 record, tied for 10th best record in the 16-team league; 38-32 in a nice first half

Helena: RHP Tyler Cravy at Billings (Reds), 7:50 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Live Audio Link -- Select the Helena feed from the MiLB main audio page

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): Season complete; 17-39 record, worst in the 13-team league

DSL Brewers: Season complete; 44-27 regular season, first-round playoff series loss

PIO North
Club W L PCT GB *ELIM # Home Away L 10 Streak
Great Falls 24 13 .649 - - 13-6 11-7 8-2 L2
Billings 23 14 .622 1.0 1 13-5 10-9 6-4 L1
* Missoula 16 21 .432 8.0 E 10-8 6-13 2-8 W1
Helena 12 25 .324 12.0 E 6-13 6-12 5-5 W2

Full-season:

PIO North
Club W L PCT GB Home Away L 10 Streak
Billings 43 32 .573 - 22-15 21-17 6-4 L1
Great Falls 41 34 .547 2.0 22-16 19-18 8-2 L2
* Missoula 41 34 .547 2.0 23-14 18-20 2-8 W1
Helena 30 45 .400 13.0 15-23 15-22 5-5 W2

Season-ending thank you's:

All our daily readers, first and foremost!

My fellow Link Reporters, thank you 150 times over (regular season).

All our affiliate contacts and your staffs -- Doug, Jill, Kyle, Chris, and Steve from AAA to rookie, respectfully

Those in the affiliate media -- great work in Wisconsin and Helena, improvements at Florida Today

Oh yeah, those guys on the field we follow. We got nothing without you.

Until next April (as far as Link Reports go, anyway...)

Helena & Billings don't want their seasons to end -- entering play in the top of the 13th, tied 1-1. Check out this game-saving defensive play:

Billings Bottom of the 11th
  • Steven Selsky walks.
  • Ryan Wright out on a sacrifice bunt, pitcher Alex Jones to first baseman Michael Nemeth. Steven Selsky to 2nd.
  • Jon
    Matthews singles on a line drive to left fielder Benjamin McMahan.
    Steven Selsky out at home on the throw, left fielder Benjamin McMahan to
    third baseman Adrian Williams to catcher Tyler Roberts. Jon Matthews
    to 2nd on the throw.
  • Sean Buckley strikes out swinging.

(Alex Jones with the punchout to end the inning)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Final (13 innings): @Billings 2, Helena 1

Box Score

Selsky! Steven Selsky hit a walkoff homer against Tom Keeling to win it for Billings tonight, in the bottom of the 13th. In the 11th, Selsky had been thrown out at the plate to end the frame & keep Helena in the game.

Tyler Cravy was dominant, & crept into a tie for 2nd place in the league for K's: seven innings, five hits, one run (earned), one walk & three strikeouts. No wild pitches, either, and the WPs can pile up pretty quickly at this level. He finishes the season with 81 strikeouts, tied with Gustavo Gomez (Ogden/LAD), and eight behind league leader Brian Peacock (Idaho Falls/KCR).

David Goforth struck out four batters and allowed just one hit in his two scoreless innings. Alex Jones also worked two scoreless, including the close call in the 11th. Tom Keeling worked one scoreless inning, got the leadoff man out in the 13th, but then Selsky knocked the solo shot out to left.

Ben McMahan was the only Brewer with more than one hit; he went 2-5 with a homer and one RBI. Parker Berberet singled & drew a walk. Steve Felix also singled and walked (intentional BB). Robbie Garvey walked twice; Mike Nemeth, Adrian Williams, and Gant Elmore each walked once.

Play-by-Play

Williams had a rough final night: 0-4, and if that weren't enough, two costly outs on the basepaths. The first came in the 7th:

Helena Top of the 7th
  • Pitcher Change: Christopher Joyce replaces Carlos Gonzalez.
  • Adrian Williams walks.
  • Yadiel Rivera flies out to right fielder Kyle Waldrop.
  • With
    Benjamin McMahan batting, Adrian Williams picked off and caught
    stealing 2nd base, pitcher Christopher Joyce to first baseman Robert
    Maddox to shortstop Juan Perez.
  • Benjamin McMahan homers (7) on a fly ball to left field.
  • Parker Berberet singles on a line drive to right fielder Kyle Waldrop.
  • With Steve Felix batting, wild pitch by Christopher Joyce, Parker Berberet to 2nd.
  • Steve Felix lines out to shortstop Juan Perez.

Ouch. But wait, there's more:

Helena Top of the 13th
  • Robert Garvey hit by pitch.
  • Adrian
    Williams grounds into a force out, fielded by shortstop Cristobal
    Rodriguez. Robert Garvey out at 2nd. Adrian Williams to 1st.
  • Yadiel Rivera lines out to right fielder Kyle Waldrop.
  • With Benjamin McMahan batting, Adrian Williams caught stealing 2nd base, catcher Yovan Gonzalez to second baseman Ryan Wright.

Enjoy the offseason, Adrian. (He closed the season strong, with an OPS of .836 in September)

Jim, here is my yearly thank you for everything you do with the link report. Thanks as well to everyone else involved and I apologize for not naming each one of you by name (Eric to name one of the regulars), as I know that doing this day in and day out throughout the course of the baseball season is no easy task. You've made following the minor leaguers particularly easy for me this year, even if I haven't been following as closely as I'd like to, or as active.

Go Brewers.

I know that doing this day in and day out throughout the course of the baseball season is no easy task.

Amen. For anyone that thinks it wouldn't be that hard, check how many times I didn't do the Helena post in the Link Report this season. And all I had to do was report on maybe two of the farm teams, not build the daily L.R. thread, link to other stories, pictures, etc.

Jim & Eric deserve the lion's share of credit for this season's L.R. They are, simply put, machines.

Archived