Brewer Fanatic

2011-09-06 Brewers (Gallardo) at Cardinals (Lohse) - [Brewers lose, 4-2]

pretendastronaut
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We don't get Kendrick again and we do get Hamels and Worley along with Lee and Doc.

I doubt we score much but I will be happy to be wrong.

Thursday: Hamels vs. Narveson

Friday: Halladay vs. Marcum

Saturday: Lee vs. Wolf

Sunday: Worley vs. Gallardo

I'm really looking forward to this series.

Counsell 0-3, again showing that career numbers against a certain pitcher shouldn't really matter when your skills have diminished as much as his.

So Wilson should have started? Not like there are a lot of great options with Hairston needing a day off. CC has played more recently and will probably be on the playoff 25. The numbers probably didn't really mean a whole lot.

Counsell 0-3, again showing that career numbers against a certain pitcher shouldn't really matter when your skills have diminished as much as his.

So Wilson should have started? Not like there are a lot of great options with Hairston needing a day off. CC has played more recently and will probably be on the playoff 25. The numbers probably didn't really mean a whole lot.

I know. I would've started Counsell over Wilson too. But Haudricourt (maybe speculating but probably Roenicke's thinking as well) threw those numbers out there. And this isn't the first time career numbers have been used to justify a starting spot. I was just making the point that career numbers shouldn't matter with older players like Counsell, Kotsay, etc, especially if their recent stats have diminished.

edit: I would've actually played Green. He played some 2B this year and came up as a 2B. Yuni and Prince would still be worse defensively than him.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Why not Green?

Green isn't a 2B. This would be like throwing Gamel out there at 3B. It was stupid to do and not worth it. One or two days of Counsell/Wilson at 2B isn't the end of the world with the division wrapped up.
I've never personally seen him play there. Is he that bad? I find it hard to believe that he couldn't at least be passable. What's his problem there, footwork, range?
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

It would be like moving McGehee to 2B because he's played there. If its an emergency, you do it but not something you plan on. Want to get upset about something? Be upset the Brewers don't have Farris and Lopez and Gamel up here now so that their crappy MI bats don't hit past the 5th inning with JHJ out. Then again Roenicke allows his pitcher to hit down 3 in the 6th...

Yuni now getting blamed for other batters not producing hits.
And if I ripped on McGehee you'd have also rushed to his defense.
No,

I'm ripping completely ridiculous posts that come out of emotion rather

than common sense. McGehee walked his first AB. I don't think his

approach is to hit early in the count because of who is hitting behind

him. I think McGehee would be used to Yuni hitting behind him by now and

would be a walk machine if that was actually that approach.

In

here it just seems like a travesty whenever a player like Yuni doesn't

go 4-4. Every single at-bat gets 5-6 of the same post explaining that

he's a terrible hitter. We know. Yet when he actually does do something

good it's 5-6 of the same posts explaining he's still a terrible hitter

or fielder. I've never seen anyone acknowledge he's made a good play

defensively. He's had a handful tonight and has shown some range. When a

Cubs announcer said he had decent range there were 5-6 people who

laughed at the notion. Yet just last week Uecker was talking about

Furcal's range and said Yuni also had decent range at SS. When he gets a

good hit it's somehow still a bad thing. How depressing must it be to

watch this team. 1/3 of your position players will make you angry

regardless of the outcome. I can't even imagine some of you people

watching the team when Bill Hall was playing.

I

generally like reading the in-game threads here, but literally the

majority of the posts involve complaining about two players. It gets

really old.

These are some pretty emotional statistics:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/st...t/113/sort/OPS/minpa/175

http://espn.go.com/mlb/st...OPS/order/true/minpa/150

http://espn.go.com/mlb/st...tion/ss/sort/rangeFactor

http://espn.go.com/mlb/st...t/zoneRating/order/false

(on a team who intends on making a playoff run)

Stop being so emotional, statistics!

And the guy from the minors who was suggested to replace them HAS appeared MUCH better.

It would be like moving McGehee to 2B because he's played there. If its an emergency, you do it but not something you plan on. Want to get upset about something? Be upset the Brewers don't have Farris and Lopez and Gamel up here now so that their crappy MI bats don't hit past the 5th inning with JHJ out. Then again Roenicke allows his pitcher to hit down 3 in the 6th...

I know McGehee has played there and I wouldn't let him do it again. That being said, Green is more athletic than McGehee and has played 2B recently. Like I said, what makes Green so bad there? Have you seen him personally? I'm just wondering.

Green can play second in a pinch. They're not in a pinch. CC has been a backup middle infielder all season. If you're not going to use him in a situation like tonight, there is no reason to have him on the roster. It all comes back to guys having roles and being expected (and having expectations to) fill those roles. They aren't going to change that up now for no real reason.

These analogies fail when one player you're comparing him to (Gamel) had a ridiculously high error rate at his position and the other is slower and hasn't played near as many games there.

Archived