Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Mon. 9/5 -- Sounds and Rattlers both reach double digits in season-ending wins

Mass Haas

Monday's Daily Menu:

Nashville: RHP Mike Fiers at Memphis (Cardinals), 12:50 PM pre-game, 1:05 gametime

Live Audio Link -- Select the Nashville feed from the MiLB main audio page

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers

Huntsville: RHP's Jesus Sanchez and Cody Scarpetta in a doubleheader at home vs. Mobile (Diamondbacks), 1:03 PM gametime; each contest slated for seven innings

Live Audio Link

iPad/iPhone: Listen

Traditional broadcast -- Mobile feed

Brevard County: Season complete; 62-76 record, 11th best in the 12-team league; 35-33 in the second half, however

Wisconsin: LHP Charly Bashara at Beloit (Twins), 1:40 PM pre-game, 2:00 gametime

Live Audio Link

MiLB.TV -- for subscribers

Helena: LHP Mike Strong at Great Falls (White Sox), 7:50 PM pre-game, 8:05 gametime

Live Audio Link -- Select the Helena feed from the MiLB main audio page

Arizona Rookie (Maryvale): Season complete; 17-39 record, worst in the 13-team league

DSL Brewers: Season complete; 44-27 regular season, first-round playoff series loss

Pacific Coast League American Northern
Club W L PCT GB *ELIM # Home Away L 10 Streak
# Omaha 79 62 .560 - - 40-32 39-30 5-5 L1
Memphis 77 65 .542 2.5 E 45-25 32-40 6-4 W4
Nashville 70 73 .490 10.0 E 40-32 30-41 4-6 L4
Iowa 65 77 .458 14.5 E 39-31 26-46 3-7 W1

SOU North
Chattanooga 42 27 .609 - - 21-13 21-14 6-4 W5
* Tennessee 40 30 .571 2.5 E 22-13 18-17 6-4 W1
Carolina 30 38 .441 11.5 E 16-18 14-20 3-7 L1
Jackson 30 39 .435 12.0 E 15-20 15-19 5-5 W2
Huntsville 27 40 .403 14.0 E 11-21 16-19 4-6 L2

MID Western
Quad Cities 40 27 .597 - - 22-12 18-15 7-3 L1
@ Clinton 38 30 .559 2.5 - 19-15 19-15 5-5 L1
@ Kane County 37 32 .536 4.0 1 15-19 22-13 4-6 W1
Beloit 31 36 .463 9.0 E 16-17 15-19 5-5 W1
* Burlington 31 36 .463 9.0 E 18-15 13-21 8-2 W5
Cedar Rapids 28 40 .412 12.5 E 16-19 12-21 3-7 L2
Wisconsin 28 40 .412 12.5 E 15-20 13-20 4-6 L6
Peoria 27 41 .397 13.5 E 13-20 14-21 5-5 W2

PIO North
Great Falls 23 11 .676 - - 12-5 11-6 8-2 W7
Billings 21 13 .618 2.0 3 11-4 10-9 7-3 W1
* Missoula 15 19 .441 8.0 E 9-8 6-11 2-8 L2
Helena 10 24 .294 13.0 E 6-13 4-11 3-7 L1

Final: Wisconsin 11, @Beloit 0

Rattlers smash Snappers in season finale
Chris Mehring/Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
BELOIT, WI – The Wisconsin Timber Rattlers defeated the Beloit Snappers 11-0 on Monday afternoon at Pohlman Field. Wisconsin scored all of their runs with two outs and cruised to a win in the final game of the 2011 season for each team. Wisconsin ended their six game losing streak with the win.
Wisconsin (67-72 overall, 29-40 second half) had the first scoring opportunity of the game. Reggie Keen drew a leadoff walk and Joey Paciorek followed with a single in the top of the third. Both runners moved into scoring position on a grounder. But, the Rattlers could not cash in to take the lead.
The Rattlers did cash in on their next chance. Chad Stang singled to start the fifth. Keen sacrificed Stang to second. A fly ball to left moved Stang to third. Then, Greg Hopkins came through with a two-out single to score Stang for a 1-0 lead.
Then, Wisconsin broke out the bats in the seventh for their biggest inning of the season.
Keen was at first with two outs and Hopkins scored him with a triple to right-center against Snappers reliever Ben Tootle. Nick Shaw made it 3-0 with an RBI double. Then, TJ Mittesltaedt drew a walk to keep the inning going. Cody Hawn was next and he would send Shaw in with an RBI single and the Rattlers weren’t done yet.
Nick Ramirez greeted Beloit reliever Bart Carter with a two run double. Mike Walker drew a free pass and Stang would single to load the bases. Keen reached on an infield single to score one run and a throwing error on the play let in a second run.

Paciorek capped the big inning with an infield single to knock in Stang for a 9-0 lead.

In all, the Rattlers sent 13 men to the plate in the top of the seventh. They had nine straight batters reach base after there were two outs in the inning as they pulled away from Beloit.

The Snappers (69-69, 31-37) here held to two hits by five Timber Rattlers Pitchers. Charly Bashara, Dan Britt, Casey Medlen, Alan Williams, and Greg Holle combined to strike out 13 Beloit hitters in the two-hit shutout.
Wisconsin tacked on two more runs in the top of the ninth inning – both with two outs. Keen and Paciorek recorded consecutive RBI doubles to account for the final runs and an 11-0 lead.

Stang paced the offense with three hits and three runs. Paciorek also had three hits and drove in two runs. Ramirez, Keen, and Hopkins also had two RBI in the game.

The Timber Rattlers open the 2012 season at Time Warner Cable Field on Thursday, April 5. Game time against the Cedar Rapids Kernels is 6:35pm.
See you there!

Nice way to end the season. Not only did the staff fan 13 Snappers, they only walked one.

Just to accentuate the positive:

Wisconsin Top of the 7th
  • Chad Stang singles on a line drive to right fielder Daniel Ortiz.
  • Reggie Keen grounds into a force out, shortstop Tyler Grimes to second baseman Jhonatan Arias. Chad Stang out at 2nd. Reggie Keen to 1st.
  • Joseph Paciorek flies out to center fielder Jonathan Goncalves.
  • Gregory Hopkins triples (3) on a fly ball to center fielder Jonathan Goncalves. Reggie Keen scores.
  • Nick Shaw doubles (16) on a line drive to right fielder Daniel Ortiz. Gregory Hopkins scores.
  • T. J. Mittelstaedt walks.
  • Cody Hawn singles on a ground ball to center fielder Jonathan Goncalves. Nick Shaw scores. T. Mittelstaedt to 2nd.
  • Nick Ramirez doubles (12) on a fly ball to right fielder Daniel Ortiz. T. J. Mittelstaedt scores. Cody Hawn scores.
  • Michael Walker walks.
  • Chad Stang singles on a ground ball to third baseman Michael Gonzales. Nick Ramirez to 3rd. Michael Walker to 2nd.
  • Reggie Keen singles on a ground ball to shortstop Tyler Grimes. Nick Ramirez scores. Michael Walker scores. Chad Stang to 3rd. Reggie Keen to 2nd. Throwing error by shortstop Tyler Grimes.
  • Joseph Paciorek singles on a ground ball to third baseman Michael Gonzales. Chad Stang scores. Reggie Keen to 3rd.
  • Gregory Hopkins strikes out swinging.

Final: Nashville 10, @Memphis 2

Nashville Sounds

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The Nashville Sounds ended the 2011 campaign with a 10-2 win over the cross-state rival Memphis Redbirds on Labor Day afternoon at AutoZone Park.
Snapping a four-game losing streak with the victory, Nashville (71-72) finished the season with just the franchise's 12th losing record in 34 years of competition.

Nashville starter Mike Fiers (8-0) ended the 2011 season with another great performance with the mound, not allowing an earned run in his last 19 innings of work over his last three starts. On the afternoon, Fiers gave up two unearned runs on two hits in five innings of work for the win. He struck out four and walked zero.

In 10 starts for Nashville this season, Fiers went 8-0 with a 1.11 ERA (8er/62.2ip) and 65 strikeouts in 62 2/3 innings as a starter.

Shortstop Anderson Machado and left fielder Jordan Brown each homered in the win. Right fielder Brandon Boggs singled to extend his hitting streak to a season-high six games.

First baseman Erick Almonte went 3-for-5 with a double. Third baseman Mat Gamel had a hit in the ninth inning to snap out of a season-long 18-at-bat hitless streak.

Nashville took a quick 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning off Memphis starter Brian Broderick. After center fielder Caleb Gindl was issued a walk to open the contest, Brown tattooed his eighth home run of the season over the wall in right center.

Memphis scored their first run in the next frame as center fielder Adron Chambers tripled to lead off the inning. Chambers would then come home on a fielding error on third baseman Gamel.

The Sounds added two more runs for a 4-1 lead in the top of the fourth inning. Almonte hit a ground rule double down the right field line and was followed by Machado, who crushed a two-run shot on the third tier of the picnic deck in right field [audio]. The homer was Machado's first of the season.

The Redbirds cut the lead in half in the next frame on another unearned run. With a runner on third base, Freddie Bynum hit an infield grounder to Gamel, who attempted to throw home, but hit the runner.

The Sounds got another run back in the top of the sixth inning. Almonte singled and moved to third on a two-base throwing error during the next at-bat. Machado then drove in Almonte with RBI base hit to right field.

Nashville exploded for five runs and batted around in the ninth inning to make it 10-2. Machado started the frame by walking and later scored as Gindl singled to right. Redbirds Reliever David Kopp then surrendered four consecutive base hits before being removed from the contest for reliever Rich Rundles. The scoring concluded with a sacrifice fly by second baseman Andy Gonzalez.

Nashville pitchers Tim Dillard, Justin James, Sean Green, and Mike McClendon all worked a scoreless innings in relief.

Broderick (7-7) took the loss with five runs allowed (four earned) on seven hits in seven innings.

Baseball returns to Greer Stadium in April 2012 when the Sounds begin their 35th season of competition. Season tickets are available now by calling 615-690-HITS or visiting the Greer Stadium box office.

Also a nice way to end the season. Fiers threw only 78 pitches (57 strikes). I hope we see him in Milwaukee for a September cameo. Patrick Arlis got his second start of the year and went 1-4 with a double.

We don't say this nearly enough - I gigantic Thank You to Jim, Eric, Conor, and Toby for all of the work you put into the Link Report and the minor league forum. While we may disagree in our assessment of players from time to time, the time and effort that the four of you invest into making this what it is is tremendously respected and appreciated. Thanks for all of the information and entertainment you provide!

Fiers... what more can you say. While he is my favorite prospect, I wouldn't be that heartbroken if they sell high on him and flip him for a young cost-controlled stud SS. My preference would be to trade Wolf or Estrada, but between Peralta, Fiers, and Estrada I think they have the ability to trade one of their starters to fill the hole at SS - assuming Gamel takes over for Prince and Green gets the majority of starts at 3B, that makes SS the only hole to fill for next year.

Fun Fiers Facts - he finished the year with:

* More K than IP

* More IP than walks and hits combined

* More K than walks and hits combined

* A lower BA-A vs. lefties (.165) than righties (.183) at AAA

* A lower ERA vs lefties (0.89) than righties (1.31) at AAA

Thanks, LouisEly. I know I can say that on behalf of all that contribute to the MiLB forum -- even me, who does the absolute least! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

EDIT: I should add that the MiLB forum has easily grown to be my favorite BF.net forum. There's just better discussion here, without a doubt. I think it's because the emotional reactions to the big club's wins or losses aren't there, but it's also (imo) because not every Brewers fan -- even diehard -- is really into following the minors. Those that regularly read & post here tend to be some of the more knowledgeable posters (again, imo) on this forum. I know I've gained a lot from becoming a daily reader of this forum & the phenomenal Link Reports.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Has Gamel been playing 3B since Green got called up? He has 2 of the 4 errors for the Sounds

He's certainly played it a lot more. I'd have to go back & dig through box scores to be sure exactly how often, but I know I've been surprised by how often he's played there in my limited work on the Nashville game reports.

Final: @Great Falls 7, Helena 4

Helena Box Score

The Voyagers scored five early runs & chased Mike Strong after just 2.1 innings. Parker Berberet, Adrian Williams, & Ben McMahan had two hits apiece. Chad Pierce, Tom Keeling, David Goforth, & Mark Williams combined to hold Great Falls to two runs in the final 5.2 innings of relief work. Pierce yielded one run in 2.2 innings in relief of Strong, striking out four and walking one.

Berberet & Steve Felix doubled for Helena, with Tyler Roberts & John Dishon adding singles. Williams stole his eleventh base of the season (seventeen attempts).

Helena Play-by-Play

After scoring two runs in the 6th, the Brewers plated one in the 9th and had the potential tying run at the plate with two outs:

Helena Top of the 9th
  • Pitcher Change: Kevin Vance replaces Chris Devenski.
  • Kyle Dhanani strikes out swinging.
  • Tyler Roberts hit by pitch.
  • Steve Felix doubles (4) on a line drive to right fielder Mark Haddow. Tyler Roberts to 3rd.
  • John Dishon called out on strikes.
  • Adrian Williams singles on a ground ball to third baseman Kyle Eveland. Tyler Roberts scores. Steve Felix to 3rd.
  • With Yadiel Rivera batting, Adrian Williams advances to 2nd on defensive indifference.
  • Yadiel Rivera strikes out swinging.

He's certainly played it a lot more. I'd have to go back & dig through box scores to be sure exactly how often, but I know I've been surprised by how often he's played there in my limited work on the Nashville game reports.
He has played 19 games at 3B. I am not sure when all of those happened. Are they trying to showcase him for other teams, since Green seems like our long-term answer at 3B?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I should add that the MiLB forum has easily grown to be my favorite BF.net forum.

I'll second that. I find that I spend twice as much time here as the MLB forum. Seems to me that the discussions are less fan-centric (RR is an idiot! Why is YB starting at SS?), and more amateur-GM-centric (scouting, player development, etc). Even though Caleb Gindl and Khris Davis still will spark some heated debates... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I'll also second LouisEly's post on my thanks to all the link report writers. Without this dedicated following of the minor league team, BF.net wouldn't be half as good. SALUTE!

We don't say this nearly enough - I gigantic Thank You to Jim, Eric, Conor, and Toby for all of the work you put into the Link Report and the minor league forum. While we may disagree in our assessment of players from time to time, the time and effort that the four of you invest into making this what it is is tremendously respected and appreciated. Thanks for all of the information and entertainment you provide!

Fiers... what more can you say. While he is my favorite prospect, I wouldn't be that heartbroken if they sell high on him and flip him for a young cost-controlled stud SS. My preference would be to trade Wolf or Estrada, but between Peralta, Fiers, and Estrada I think they have the ability to trade one of their starters to fill the hole at SS - assuming Gamel takes over for Prince and Green gets the majority of starts at 3B, that makes SS the only hole to fill for next year.

Fun Fiers Facts - he finished the year with:

* More K than IP

* More IP than walks and hits combined

* More K than walks and hits combined

* A lower BA-A vs. lefties (.165) than righties (.183) at AAA

* A lower ERA vs lefties (0.89) than righties (1.31) at AAA

Somebody needs to inform you that Fiers isn't a prospect though.....

I don't think you can justify trading Wolf when he has value to a playoff rotation and the Crew still has realistic aspirations of getting back there next season. Plus he has a limited no trade clause so he could adversely effect our return and the Crew would burn 250K if he were traded.

Dealing Narveson makes more sense. He's had a solid season but will never be an asset to a playoff rotation and we'd probably be selling high. I could see a contending team interested in him as a 4-5 or non-contender because he's cheap.

I'd have few qualms about giving Peralta and Fiers a shot in ST to take the #5 spot in the rotation, and if they don't, Estrada provides insurance.

Archived