Brewer Fanatic

Zack Greinke Feature Story in Kansas City Star

Mass Haas

Great article. Glad to see the KC fans aren't bitter or anything (see comments section).

Have known a few people with social anxiety disorder and other depression-related conditions. I have nothing but mad respect for Zach Grienke and what he's able to accomplish on the field while dealing with his own stuff...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Great article. Glad to see the KC fans aren't bitter or anything (see comments section).

Have known a few people with social anxiety disorder and other depression-related conditions. I have nothing but mad respect for Zach Grienke and what he's able to accomplish on the field while dealing with his own stuff...
I'm sure there's going to be plenty of 'bitter' Brewer fans when Prince most likely leaves as well. It's the nature of sports.

Also, I agree with you on the 'props' for being able to get through his SAD and get his job done. You can absolutely tell when he's being interviewed that he's not all that comfortable around people, or being a focal point.

It's interesting, because I know 2 people that use SAD as a very convenient excuse to not have to work, and get disability pay. And I'm not at all suggesting that a majority of the people with SAD are 'faking it', or that even a minority are. But I DO know 2 people that basically are, and think it's the cats meow that they're getting money off the gov't teet for something that can't really be proven one way or the other. And that's what's disgusting about it, is that it makes it harder for people to understand or take seriously a guy like Greinke, who by all appearances and description, to be genuinely afflicted with a very real mental disorder.

That article practically screams extension. He's happy here, finding top notch starters is really hard compared to filling out the line-up with solid hitters.

Yeah, that's what I gathered, especially from the comments about he and his wife talking about how happy they are, and her getting to know the other players' wives, etc.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Great article. I'm loving this. We should able to keep Greinke around for a long time. I hope he stays. Having him and Gallardo locked in at the top of the rotation would be outstanding. If have to say that if I saw him, I might say hi but then I'd leave him alone. I think some fans know that he doesn't like to be bothered, but it doesn't surprise me that others don't. I think it's rude to just follow any player around and annoy them. Whenever I see players, I try not to bother them. Although some guys don't mind it.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Greinke is literally my idol.

I suffer from social anxiety disorder. Just seeing his quotes in the article, it's so easy to relate to him. Saying things like "you don't have to worry about going in the shower right away and having people think 'this guy doesn't care'" is so easy to relate to. It's the tiny things like that that are such a burden. You like to think you know what people are thinking, and you run with that. You always worry about how people look at you, and it's easy to see with some of those quotes he feels that way, as do I.

Keep it going Zack. SAD isn't a fun thing to deal with, in fact, it's pretty much hell. If I could do one thing, anything, in the world to get rid of my SAD, I would.

If you saw Zack at the grocery store, what do you think you would do, really? Just curious

I did see Rickie Weeks driving around Milwaukee once and I didn't do anything. I thought about yelling "hey Rickie!" or something like that but I didn't know if he would get annoyed or not.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

my brother doesn't have SAD, but he gets pointed at and approached all the time because he's freakishly tall. when i'm with him, i imagine that's what it's like to be a celebrity/athlete. if people approach and are polite and friendly about it then they'll get a gruff answer, but otherwise it's downright rude. and it happens all the time, everywhere. compound that with SAD and it must be pretty awful. hopefully ZG stays here a long time, and with that comes more fan education about the disorder that more people will start giving him his space.

Archived