Brewer Fanatic

George Kottaras hits for the cycle

CheezWizHed

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Congrats George!

Although if we were at Miller Park I think he would have had 3 home runs...

Was awesome to watch though... good game!

For SURE 2 homers, and you're probably right, it would have been 3. He was destroying the ball tonight.

His OPS for the season is now up to a nice .823. Not too many back up catchers can claim that.

Echoing the comments above, the Brewers have to have the most unlikely cast of characters with a cycle in MLB history. Yount and Molitor are givens, but a washed up Mike Hegan (never known for his bat anyway), Charlie Moore, Moeller (I still say the most unlikely cycle in MLB history), Gerut and Kottaras. Wow. I was talking with a friend tonight, I would guess that cycles are maybe 2 or 3 times as common as a no hitter. Anyone have the historical stats on this? A quick Google search gave me nothing.

I was talking with a friend tonight, I would guess that cycles are maybe 2 or 3 times as common as a no hitter. Anyone have the historical stats on this? A quick Google search gave me nothing.

283 No-No's in MLB history.

Looks like George was the 293rd Cycle.

So, it's pretty darn close to 1:1.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I was talking with a friend tonight, I would guess that cycles are maybe 2 or 3 times as common as a no hitter. Anyone have the historical stats on this? A quick Google search gave me nothing.

Thanks for the info, that's interesting. Crazy that the Brewers franchise has seven cycles now and only one no hitter- especially with guys who have done it.

Looking over that list ... a little funny to see that Carlos Gomez and Mark Kotsay both hit for the cycle a little more than 3 months apart during the '08 season. Crazy.

It may be close to 1:1 looking at the totals, but there are only 2 starting pitchers per game compared to 18 hitters.

Moeller (I still say the most unlikely cycle in MLB history)

Nope. That has to be Bengie Molina last year for Texas. Widely known as the slowest player in the major leagues he actually completed the cycle by legging out a triple in his last at-bat. The triple was the only triple he hit all year. To go into the last AB needing to do something he hadn't done even once all year, the odds had to be astronomical.

Moeller (I still say the most unlikely cycle in MLB history)

Nope. That has to be Bengie Molina last year for Texas. Widely known as the slowest player in the major leagues he actually completed the cycle by legging out a triple in his last at-bat. The triple was the only triple he hit all year. To go into the last AB needing to do something he hadn't done even once all year, the odds had to be astronomical.

Over his career, he's averaged a triple every 860 PA, so he was apparently due.

Archived