Brewer Fanatic

Will Mat Gamel be brought up? Latest -- Don Money on Gamel, Gindl, McClendon

Bombers
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you know Mat Gamel? Lose wieght? Have you seen Mat? Are you mistaking him for someone else? Fielder? Magoo? They need to lose weight! Can we quit talking about him being late??? Mat was late the first day of Spring training 4 years ago. It was his first spring training and frankly no one told him that he should show up 4 or 5 days early just to make a good impression. (BTW you have to pay for your own room and board prior to the first day of training) His agent should have done this but failed and Mat literally didn't know any better. He did oversleep that first morning after traveling all day previous. His locker was outside when he got to practice and Macha hated him from that day on. Those are the facts.

There are plenty of teams that have tried to trade for Mat but he serves as insurance against a Prince departure. There is a business side to baseball and quite frankly IMO Mat has every right to be frustrated about the way the business side has treated him.

Do you know Mat Gamel? Lose wieght? Have you seen Mat? Are you mistaking him for someone else? Fielder? Magoo? They need to lose weight! Can we quit talking about him being late??? Mat was late the first day of Spring training 4 years ago. It was his first spring training and frankly no one told him that he should show up 4 or 5 days early just to make a good impression. (BTW you have to pay for your own room and board prior to the first day of training) His agent should have done this but failed and Mat literally didn't know any better. He did oversleep that first morning after traveling all day previous. His locker was outside when he got to practice and Macha hated him from that day on. Those are the facts.

There are plenty of teams that have tried to trade for Mat but he serves as insurance against a Prince departure. There is a business side to baseball and quite frankly IMO Mat has every right to be frustrated about the way the business side has treated him.

Good luck next year, Mat - hey, welcome to Brewerfan.net!

Good luck next year, Mat - hey, welcome to Brewerfan.net!

Or Max Walla?

On a serious note, I pretty much agree with the statement. I think this attitude stuff is overblown. Unless a guy's on the same scale as a Milton Bradley or Big Z, I don't mind it (as long as the talent is there). We even have 2 guys (Morgan/Fielder) who were recently named in top 15 "meanest" players in baseball. The guy has talent, give him a(n extended) shot next year at 1B and go from there.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

He showed up to practice late. Twice. He knows when practice starts in the morning.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Twice in five years. Wow I guess we're not going to stop talking about his punctuality.

On a more positive note I do believe that Mat playing winter ball in Dominican Republic will help him stay sharp in the offseason and be ready for bear come spring training if Fielder is not signed.

Twice in five years. Wow I guess we're not going to stop talking about his punctuality.

On a more positive note I do believe that Mat playing winter ball in Dominican Republic will help him stay sharp in the offseason and be ready for bear come spring training if when Fielder is not signed.

Twice in one week about 4 years ago. I agree it isn't a big deal but it is going to get brought up every time his maturity is in question.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Do you know Mat Gamel? Lose wieght? Have you seen Mat?

I also thought it was a little odd that the article cited him being like 30 pounds overweight. That's a ridiculous amount of weight on a 6'0" (listed height) frame. He's listed at 6'0" & 215 lbs. ... so Money's assertion is that he came in tipping the scales at like 240 lbs.? That just sounds like hyperbole.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Interesting that the guys first and second posts come in the Mat Gamel thread. Very long winded posts too which make me believe it was more of an insider rant than a casual post. If not Mat, it's a close friend or relative with insider info. Either way, I feel Gamel's gotten a bad rap for no good reason and has been toyed around with by the organization and not given consistent ABs when hes been called up so it's impossible to judge his performance in my opinion.

LOL. I've been reading this forum for three years and trust me, no parent could read this stuff about thier kid. Parent, no way.

I just want to see Gamel be successful for the Brewers and I have a feeling it's going to be next season. I just would hate to see some un-truths or some half-thruths thrown around without setting the record straight if I can.

"A lie left unchallenged for three days becomes the truth"

I just would hate to see some un-truths or some half-thruths thrown around without setting the record straight if I can.

I'm not sure how just asserting they are half truths or untruths means you are setting the record straight unless you give us an idea of why you know so much about it. I know who Money is and what his relationship is to Gamel. If you want to set the record straight from someone who has obvious knowledge of the situation you have to do better than just insinuate you know the situation.

There is zero reason why the organization would treat a prospect in a way that doesn't give him a legitimate shot at success. In fact the entire organization is built on getting it's prospects to succeed. If they have jerked him around it has to be for a reason other than they just don't like him. This sort of thing came around when Ben Hendrickson was here. His family felt he was jerked around as well. In the end the reason they did what they did with him was he just wasn't good enough.

Truth be told I still have high hopes for Gamel. That doesn't mean I don't believe there are some issues he has to figure out to be a capable major league player on a pennant winning team.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

This is probably a good time to remind everyone of these Fan Forum Etiquette items. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Please give members who post "inside
    info" the benefit of the doubt. If we continually attack the credibility
    of those who offer that information, chances are we will stop receiving
    it. Expressing skepticism about the information in a civil manner is
    fine; outwardly challenging the member isn't.
  • If you are
    an "insider" providing information, please don't use the topic as an
    attention grab. Followup posts should be for the purpose of answering
    questions and providing additional information. If someone questions
    your credibility, blow it off. Attempts to defend yourself don't help
    your cause.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

MY bad I apologize Madmax. Reading it now it came off more confrontational than I intended. Lets try once again on a better note.

Everyone else seemed to know you show up on time. Excuses about driving the whole day prior is just that, an excuse. I'm not sure what he thought it took to get a 6 figure income but even as an 18 year old I knew excuses aren't a good way to get someones attention in a positive way. Even then once can be understood. Things happen. It's documented it happened more than once. At what point does it show a lack of respect on his part? It may have been in the past but the Money rant is now. It's hard to believe both Macha and Money hold something that happened several years ago against him now.

This is probably a good time to remind everyone of these Fan Forum Etiquette items. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
  • Please give members who post "inside
    info" the benefit of the doubt. If we continually attack the credibility
    of those who offer that information, chances are we will stop receiving
    it. Expressing skepticism about the information in a civil manner is
    fine; outwardly challenging the member isn't.
  • If you are
    an "insider" providing information, please don't use the topic as an
    attention grab. Followup posts should be for the purpose of answering
    questions and providing additional information. If someone questions
    your credibility, blow it off. Attempts to defend yourself don't help
    your cause.

Not pointed at any "insider" in particular, more of a general question. Is there any vetting process for "insiders", or can anyone just post insider info and it's assumed true? I understand the desire to get insider info here on the site, but the last line of the quoted etiquette rules would almost suggest that the desire for inside info outweighs the desire to make sure info is credible.
20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

TooLiveBrew wrote:

Do you know Mat Gamel? Lose wieght? Have you seen Mat?[/i]

I also thought it was a little odd that the article cited him being like 30 pounds overweight. That's a ridiculous amount of weight on a 6'0" (listed height) frame. He's listed at 6'0" & 215 lbs. ... so Money's assertion is that he came in tipping the scales at like 240 lbs.? That just sounds like hyperbole.

Agreed. I'm sure there's pictures from spring training back then and I'm sure some bf.netters were down there and saw Gamel. I'm pretty sure those who were down there and the pictures that were taken for the Journal Sentinel and Yahoo or whatever we would've been able to tell if he came in 30 pounds overweight. You can't put on that amount of weight and have people not notice it.

Not pointed at any "insider" in particular, more of a general question. Is there any vetting process for "insiders", or can anyone just post insider info and it's assumed true? I understand the desire to get insider info here on the site, but the last line of the quoted etiquette rules would almost suggest that the desire for inside info outweighs the desire to make sure info is credible.
As you can likely surmise, the intent behind the FFE language was to keep people civil. When adding the language, all we were really looking for was to encourage people to play nice. Like several items in FFE, similar language was first posted in-thread at one point by a mod.

The only vetting process is that all new members go through the same application process to be able to post on the board. Frequently, we don't know that a member is able to provide inside information until he or she actually does.

It's possible that there could be a time that any one of us could be an insider under the right set of circumstances.

I'm the guy who Casey is referring to and Casey is right. I was rude and that was uncalled for. I should also know better which is why I apologized (first BF political scene crossover screw up goes to BUC). Some of the stuff Madmax talked about was things that showed information not usually known so I have no doubt he is telling it as he sees it. I want to hear both sides so I 'm glad he did. I don't believe one side should get to claim what the facts are when that is only one version of the story. I should have pointed that out then discussed them properly. Being as confrontational as I was prevents that.

But enough of my stupidity lets get back to Money and Gamel's short comings instead.

TooLiveBrew wrote:

Do you know Mat Gamel? Lose wieght? Have you seen Mat?[/i]

Agreed. I'm sure there's pictures from spring training back then and I'm sure some bf.netters were down there and saw Gamel. I'm pretty sure those who were down there and the pictures that were taken for the Journal Sentinel and Yahoo or whatever we would've been able to tell if he came in 30 pounds overweight. You can't put on that amount of weight and have people not notice it.

Does anyone know if the Brewers put a weight limit on what they want each player to report at, within say 5-10 pounds? If not, how does the organization go about deeming certain players to be overweight, and by how much?

Backupcatchers, I wasn't referring to anyone in particular. It just smelled like a good time to post the FFE items.

It would have been impossible for me to be referring specifically to you. Our messages above were posted at the same time. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

No apologies necessary. If you don't want me to give you information about Mat that's fine. The overweight issue being referred to may have been 2010 when Gamel spent the entire off season in an orthopedic boot following foot surgery in October 09. Hard to work out in a boot. Having said that, he did NOT gain 30 pounds in that off season. 20 maybe. 10 maybe. 30, no. If the weight issue is referring to 2011 STing then the assertion is just plain wrong.

One last fact then I'll shut up. Mat loves Coach Money. He may be a victim of "tough love" but I can assure you he loves coach Money.

Archived