Brewer Fanatic

Will Mat Gamel be brought up? Latest -- Don Money on Gamel, Gindl, McClendon

Bombers

Sorry if this was posted somewhere else and I just missed it. But when are the Brewers going to bring up their "first baseman of the future"? One would think that a guy who could be competing for every day playing time next March would be worthy enough of a September call up. He is on the 40 man, IMO would provide value (not saying Roenecke would use him) but what's the deal Doug?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A rawbecht said, Gamel will get the call in a few days. However, don't expect him to get any playing time. On the positive side, it will be nice for Taylor Green to have someone to talk to on the bench.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yeah he'll come up and not start at all. He'll get a pinch hit opportunity every 3 games then people will say that he didn't take advantage of the opportunity. It's just amazing to me how little faith the Brewers have shown their minor league prospects the past few years.

Yeah he'll come up and not start at all. He'll get a pinch hit opportunity every 3 games then people will say that he didn't take advantage of the opportunity. It's just amazing to me how little faith the Brewers have shown their minor league prospects the past few years.
I know it isnt much but he did start 4 of 5 games this year and he went 3 for 17 during that stretch. Gamel's issue is where do you play him in the field. Over a 13 game span he got 26 at bats but struck out more times than he got a hit. He is not an everyday guy until Fielder leaves because Braun and Hart are better in the OF and Gamel is a terrible fielder

If you called up Gamel where would you play?

I know it isnt much but he did start 4 of 5 games this year and he went 3 for 17 during that stretch. Gamel's issue is where do you play him in the field. Over a 13 game span he got 26 at bats but struck out more times than he got a hit. He is not an everyday guy until Fielder leaves because Braun and Hart are better in the OF and Gamel is a terrible fielder

Gamel probably wouldn't start many games but he should be the first PH (at least power-wise) off the bench. He might not have gotten a lot of hits this year but I remember his first couple games he hit some really hard balls, just right at people (I know I sound like Roenicke defending Yuni but it's true). That being said, I think Gamel is one of those guys who needs to be getting regular ABs to stay sharp. But I would still use him as a power PH option this year.

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

I would like Gamel to take Kotsay's role. That still won't amount to much playing time but it would be a heck of a lot more playing time than he actually will get.

let's put it this way . . . based on how the 25-man roster was set at 11:00 pm on 31 august, the brewers would rather have taylor green eligible for the post-season instead of mat gamel.
Which is probably the best decision. Green is a better defender, can play 2B and 3B. Gamel's only value in the post season would be as a PH. Green can PH and also be used in double switch situations. Not saying RR will ever do such a thing, but the option is there.

I never meant to imply he should start or get a bunch of playing time. It's super important the Milwaukee stays ahead of Arizona in the standings. I just don't want people to hold it against him if he gets called up and goes 1-7. Until he gets regular playing time for 5-6 weeks I don't think anyone should say he hasn't taken advantage of an opportunity.

I never meant to imply he should start or get a bunch of playing time. It's super important the Milwaukee stays ahead of Arizona in the standings. I just don't want people to hold it against him if he gets called up and goes 1-7. Until he gets regular playing time for 5-6 weeks I don't think anyone should say he hasn't taken advantage of an opportunity.

I wouldn't say it's "super important" to stay ahead of Arizona. We will without a doubt have to play Philadelphia anyway. A 5-game series might actually be better, but who knows. It would be nice to get home field though, just to have a better chance to win a playoff series.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I wouldn't say it's "super important" to stay ahead of Arizona. We will without a doubt have to play Philadelphia anyway

Not necessarily. With the way Arizona is playing they may very well beat Philly. They split the season series 3-3. I think there's a huge difference in getting Atlanta with home field vs having to go to Philly.

Not necessarily. With the way Arizona is playing they may very well beat Philly. They split the season series 3-3. I think there's a huge difference in getting Atlanta with home field vs having to go to Philly.
Not to derail this thread anymore but I would rather see the Brewers play the Phillies than the Braves. The Braves bullpen is by far better than the Phillies and it isn't even close. I would rather face the Phillies and their rotation with their not so great bullpen than I would want to face the Braves and their good rotation with an excellent bullpen. The Braves offensively are about the same as the Phillies. I just see the Brewers matching up better against the Phillies than they do against the Braves.

As for Gamel he will be called up when the AAA season is over along with some others. I would expect Parra to go on the 60 day DL soon. Green was only called up because he is better defensively at 3B and brings more offensive capabilities than anyone else currently on the bench can bring that is why Green was called up before Gamel. I really wish the Brewers would have had Gamel at multiple positions this year especially in the OF as I would rather have him get some reps in the OF so he could possibly play there in 2012.

In 37 more innings, Atlanta (3.34 ERA) has allowed 59 more runs than Philly (3.05 ERA) while scoring 46 less. Atlanta's pitching is top-notch, but not as good as the Phillies. Especially when you consider that Halladay and Lee average over 7 IP per start and render bullpen differences less meaningful, I'd much rather take my chances with Atlanta.

mothershipconnection wrote:

In 37 more innings, Atlanta (3.34 ERA) has allowed 59 more runs than Philly (3.05 ERA) while scoring 46 less. Atlanta's pitching is top-notch, but not as good as the Phillies. Especially when you consider that Halladay and Lee average over 7 IP per start and render bullpen differences less meaningful, I'd much rather take my chances with Atlanta.

And that's not even taking into account the fact we would get home field advantage against Atlanta.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I love Atlanta's big three in the pen. Simply awesome. But with Tommy Hanson on the DL, and Jair Jurrjens missing his next start, i wonder if the Braves are the team (at least for the moment) that are most vulnerable. Maybe those guys will be be ready and 100% for the playoffs, but you have to wonder.

mothershipconnection wrote:

And that's not even taking into account the fact we would get home field advantage against Atlanta.And the fact that Hanson's hurt and Jurrjens is hurt (and has been pretty bad anyway).

I'd much much rather face the Braves even with their lights-out bullpen.

We will without a doubt have to play Philadelphia anyway.
That is without a doubt not true. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif The odds of Philly losing in the first round will probably be around 25%.

And the Phillies have outscored the Braves by over 100 runs this year. They aren't even close to each other.

Money's honesty is nice but it seems like a pretty combative way to treat players. It depends on how he is around the players but you get the feeling he tells them what to do instead of working with them. I have not witnessed how he interacts with players so it is hard to say.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

http://milwaukee.brewers....ey=notebook_mil&c_id=mil

Thought this was interesting from Don Money. Doesn't sound like he thinks Gamel deserves to be a major leaguer at this point. I think he's right. Has the same opinion on Gindl.

More proof they need to dump Money. For a guy who's calling card is suppose to be his ability to teach the Brewers have developed too many incomplete players under his watch.

The reason I agree with Money is the fact that Gamel hasn't taken any opportunity that has been given to him. He's had multiple shots to make the opening day roster, and has thrown them a way by showing up out of shape and over weight to camp, and then not having the right attitude at the same time. I get he hasn't been in the right situation in any of the times he was recalled to the majors, but we don't know the exact reason for that. What we do know is he threw away chances to stick with the club for full seasons, and that he was a problem at times while with the club. When it comes to guys like Gamel, you are always left to wonder why they can't take their talent and opportunities and run with them. That's my opinion on it at least.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Archived